Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Apr 27, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #751 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by absolutlemur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woah - after about the 15 hour mark, the Amperex 5654 really opened up! Great soundstage, warm mids and awesome subterranean bass.

biggrin.gif

That is so cool!
smily_headphones1.gif
Having tubes change while listening, is one of my favorite things. It's like the unseen magic force, working away at the inside of the tubes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #752 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Major snip.
smily_headphones1.gif

Excellent Review part 2 E!!
biggrin.gif

When are you going to plunk down for a set of 6H30PI-DR's??

I'm doing some listening tests with the DR's in my MKIII. I'll report back once I have the differences ironed out. Initial impressions; Macho Macho MKIII.
smily_headphones1.gif

SNIP - Spay and Neuter Immediately Please (?)

Tubes? Me buy tubes? No, no, no, I'm jumping, leaping, sprinting off the train
biggrin.gif
No more tubes for me
tongue.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #753 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SNIP - Spay and Neuter Immediately Please (?)

Tubes? Me buy tubes? No, no, no, I'm jumping, leaping, sprinting off the train
biggrin.gif
No more tubes for me
tongue.gif

I think the DR designation is from "Mad Doctor" in Russian. They have the "Mad Doctor" inject the DR's with extra testosterone impregnated plates and steroid based getters, so they have a serious pair (matched of course).
biggrin.gif
Grunt, grunt, must buy tubes, grunt, grunt, must buy them now, grunt, grunt.
smily_headphones1.gif
A DR for you, a DR for me, what the heck, I'll buy three!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #755 of 3,408
Are the Sylvania 6AK5WB a warmer tube than stock? I rather have neutral tubes than warm tubes, any tube in particular I should look for? Better than stock but neutral (not warm) is what I want.

I have four 6ZH1P-EV on the way to see what they are all about.

Apr 27, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #756 of 3,408
Quote:

You're welcome to send me a pair
wink.gif

But, it's your turn!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #757 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the Sylvania 6AK5WB a warmer tube than stock? I rather have neutral tubes than warm tubes, any tube in particular I should look for? Better than stock but neutral (not warm) is what I want.

I have four 6ZH1P-EV on the way to see what they are all about.

It sounds to me like the 6ZH1P-EV's will be just what you need. The Sylvania's are full frequency, dynamic and neither warm nor cold. They hit a very good sweet spot that is hard to ignore. I haven't removed mine from my MKIII since I got them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #758 of 3,408
^ x2, I'd also add that I've yet to hear an overly warm EF95. Even the warmer EF92's aren't grossly so.

It helps to read tube observations with a point of reference. With two or three in your collection, my veiws and other's here will be easier to understand. Though you may decide we're all full of crap
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #759 of 3,408
Quote:

^ x2, I'd also add that I've yet to hear an overly warm EF95. Even the warmer EF92's aren't grossly so.

It helps to read tube observations with a point of reference. With two or three in your collection, my veiws and other's here will be easier to understand. Though you may decide we're all full of crap
biggrin.gif

I resemble that!
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #760 of 3,408
Whether you want to just replace the resistor, or add in a switched resistor, the soldering is the easy part. The difficulty is in the one piece chassis design. The beautifully beefy toroidial transformer has several 20 gauge wires grouped into two sets of twisted pairs. They enter the chassis in two ropes of wire on either side of the transformer location and are spaced narrower than the board. The entry holes are tight and un-grommetted, so if one tries to pull the long snake of wires up to clear access, you risk scraping through the insulation. If you decide to give it a go, you may want to abort if you find removing the board is beyond your comfort level. Why? Because getting it all back in is even harder! So just take this as a stern warning. Don't get in over your head! This from a guy (me) who's been a Mr. fix-it type, with good success, for 3-4 decades.

It would be so much easier if LD had specified a two piece clam-shell chassis. I don’t know how much that would have added to their production costs, but it might behoove them just in terms of their own long term serviceability costs. Perhaps a non-issue in their judgment.

In short, if you want to take it all apart and go for it, you may wish to build a new housing for her, and make life easier in the long term. I can envision a slick hybrid chassis, salvaging the top of the stock unit cut front to back, mounted to an elegant wood bottom with the original face and back screwed to the wood.

Maybe in a year or two…

Apr 27, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #761 of 3,408
I had to take mine apart the other night when I lost a jumper in it. I sat there for about 30 minutes thinking "there is no way we're supposed to just pull everything out of the back!" I was only brave enough to pull the board out about half way. Turns out the %#*&@% jumper had fallen on my bed without me seeing it
mad.gif

I'm definitely considering re-casing it when I eventually get around to doing the resistor mod. My main motivation is getting rid of those silly jumpers and gain switches and using external switches instead, but it will be nice not having to shove everything back into the case
biggrin.gif

Have you heard of "Front Panel Express"? I'll probably be using them when I make the new case, they have a really cheap and powerful custom faceplate service that I'm using for my Mini^3 (cheaper than ordering the AMB plates).

Apr 28, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #762 of 3,408
E’s Big Ass Tube Review Part II

Excellent review E!! Definitely shed some light on choices for the power tubes..Any chance of you going into commercial production of those Bulldapters bullplugs?? Even a limited production run??
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #763 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any chance of you going into commercial production of those Bulldapters bullplugs?? Even a limited production run??
wink.gif

My bulldapter elf up and quit on me.

Apr 28, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #764 of 3,408
Quote:

My bulldapter elf up and quit on me.

eek.gif
Did you figure out the cause yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back