Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Oct 16, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #1,306 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by esirex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both items have reached my door steps with good packing and delivery is amazingly fast. Apparently the power tubes have somehow improve the sound and the staging seems wider.

As for the driver tubes, 20 voshod tubes. Not the EB yen audio is selling. Yet to try it but will give a good feedback once i compare the difference the EB and the one i got.

Don't forget to mature them (45hours or so) before critical evaluation. Some tubes change a little, some change a large amount. Once they are mature and stable, evaluating them becomes much easier because you can repeat the listening session as many times as you want, and the results are always the same.
smily_headphones1.gif
Differences between tubes becomes clearer and more easily explainable.

Gotta love those NOS tubes. So addictive, you must buy more!
smily_headphones1.gif
I haven't had so much fun with audio in a long time. Who would have ever thought, you could have tubes for different moods.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have a reference set of tubes I use every day (Sylvania 5654's Round Getter, Black Plates), but sometimes I roll in a set of Mullard M8161's or Amperex EF92's, just to savor the difference. The whole concept of tube rolling is just so cool, and never boring. IMHO of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #1,307 of 3,408
I removed my tubes before they cooled down, what are the consequences of my stupidity?

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #1,308 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget to mature them (45hours or so) before critical evaluation. Some tubes change a little, some change a large amount. Once they are mature and stable, evaluating them becomes much easier because you can repeat the listening session as many times as you want, and the results are always the same.
smily_headphones1.gif
Differences between tubes becomes clearer and more easily explainable.

Thats true Penchum. The power tubes sounds very sharp after 4hrs of listening. But seems to tone down after the 10th hour.

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #1,309 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by esirex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats true Penchum. The power tubes sounds very sharp after 4hrs of listening. But seems to tone down after the 10th hour.

Just put in the new tubes I got. 16 hrs on power tubes and fresh for the new voshod tubes. I have got instant hair raising experience which i never had on my MS2. The low, mid and high suddenly just came alive on my MS2. The jingles and the bass suddenly become so alive. The bass is more controlled and it travels. I dont know why but it really sounds better then the voshod EB and the tungsol i got.

Now for the loud speakers which i hook my mk3 to my power amp. Staging has improved drastically and all the low, mid and high is so much clearer then the tungsol and the voshod EB.

I must say worth every penny spent....
o2smile.gif
Now like Pehchum said...45hours for critical evaluation.

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #1,310 of 3,408
Anyone have any advice for my above post? ^

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #1,311 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanross /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Shouldnt have much problem....if the tubes are not that hot.

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #1,312 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by jordanross /img/forum/go_quote.gif

burnt fingers LOL

only thing I can think of possible discharge from capacitors through tube pins.

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #1,313 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha 1 Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
burnt fingers LOL

only thing I can think of possible discharge from capacitors through tube pins.

I thought of that, I hope I didn't mess anything up.

Oct 18, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #1,314 of 3,408
Quick question before I pull the trigger on a MKIII with the eBay 30% MSN thing.

Firstly, I am fairly sure, but this amp will mate with my HD580s pretty well, right? I will mostly be using 580s for jazz, classical, and vocal works, lighter styles, which I've heard tube amps excel at.

Secondly, as this is the tube rolling thread, would you guys suggest any immediate tube upgrades so I can get them at the same time? This will be my first tube amp. (Nothing super expensive please)

Oct 18, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #1,315 of 3,408
^It seems pretty universally recommended that with the MKII, at least at some point, you try the Mullard M8161 driver tubes. So, getting them right off the bat may be a good idea.

Then again if you don't start with the stock tubes how will you be able to understand how much better "upgraded" tubes are?

EDIT: Woops, I meant to type "...universally recommended that with the MKIII..." not MKII.

Oct 18, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #1,316 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by One Fan To Another /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^It seems pretty universally recommended that with the MKII, at least at some point, you try the Mullard M8161 driver tubes. So, getting them right off the bat may be a good idea.

Then again if you don't start with the stock tubes how will you be able to understand how much better "upgraded" tubes are?

If it indeed is universal that most upgrade to them, I shouldn't need to know how the stock ones sound, though I'm sure I would try them anyways.

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #1,317 of 3,408
^Don't worry too much about the power tubes right away, though. I'm kinda' leaning toward liking the stock tubes over my EH 6H30Pi Gold tubes (which are "supposed" to be the best). It may just be that the Golds aren't burned in fully yet, like I had the stock ones, but the Golds have seems to take out a certain amount of bass... which I needed with my AKG K701s.

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #1,318 of 3,408
Ok I guess I'll just go with stock and see what how I want to tweak it as I go. Thanks.

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #1,319 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinisterm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey,

These are very nice tubes, and I really doubt any head-fier could sell em cheaper than this.

6Zh1P-EV/6J1P-EV/EF95/6F32/6AK7 VOSHOD! NOS! Tested! #4 - eBay (item 130261307940 end time Oct-14-08 23:20:00 PDT)

Grats on your toys!
gs1000.gif

I actually just missed that by a couple of hours but I see that he's still selling those. I will buy them now. Thanks!

BTW, I think I have to start logging out and closing my head-fi windows after I get these. My wallet has taken a fairly good beating for the last 3 weeks.
redface.gif

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #1,320 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok I guess I'll just go with stock and see what how I want to tweak it as I go. Thanks.

Don't mix up what I mean about the power tubes and driver tubes, though. The M8161 driver tubes are a must try, as they say, but the power tubes are the ones that I would personally leave stock, for now.

Just so we're on the same page
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back