Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Jul 16, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #1,111 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, yes indeed! This very topic (the two Mullard types) has been the topic of conversation going back to the LDII++ amps. DoA and I feel the same on this matter (we've talked about it) and many others like you have found out the same thing. There is definitely something superior to the full shield M8161's that is hard to put your finger on. It does exist though, and it's audible for most users. Perhaps it has something to do with the tougher build quality internally. We may never know exactly what it is caused by, but I would still recommend buying the full shield M8161 over the "OEMs" or half shields.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I'm glad your source improvements have worked out great!
smily_headphones1.gif

I had heard about the differences but I just didn't think that they would be that large. I almost didn't try them at all. The only reason I purchased the large shield version was because I thought one of my small shield tubes was going bad (it only had a overlooked and very dirty pin). Needless to say when I got the large shields in I was extremely surprised at the difference.

That is not to say the small shields are terrible. I sometimes prefer their more airy presentation with my Senns and Goldrings. And I still prefer them overall to my Tung Sol/Nationals which get no play from me.

Jul 16, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #1,112 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the item being put up for sale does not specifically say Mullard Large Shield 8161's then I'd say pass on the tubedepot.

Heres a pair of what you want from Yen Audio on eBay

Mullard M8161 / CV4015 Mil. Spec. Little Dot Amp EF92 - (eBay.ca item 270254901960 end time 18-Jul-08 20:06:17 EDT)

Peete.

It's also less expensive to get them from Yen Audio since the tubedepot price is for one tube only while the YA price is for a quality matched pair. I got my pair of M8161 from Yen Audio and I couldn't be happier about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Needless to say when I got the large shields in I was extremely surprised at the difference.

Mullard has a somewhat convoluted history having had not a few owners over the years and it's not surprising that tubes from different eras manufactured at different plants would sound significantly different. In the case of the M8161 I think the classic large-shield version sounds like a proper Mullard with its warm and almost seductive sound while the other versions tend to sound colder and harsher.

- DoA

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #1,113 of 3,408
True enough DOA, it's getting difficult separating the wheat from the chaff these days with so many generic looking tubes claiming Mullard lineage, some legit, others, bald faced lies....

For example Japanese made "Mullards" being sold as the real deal,plants licensed and set up by Mullard in foreign countries,some rather obscure in choice but purely economics driven (India for example), in the 50's 60's & 70's to outsource production for their less quality stringent contract obligations. Most of the legit Blackburn and other UK plants production was purely military at one time with some of that earmarked for consumer consumption. IMHO of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #1,114 of 3,408
I just today received my Sylvania Gold 6AK5 tubes for my MKIII but now I'm wondering:

What are the other tubes in the amp - the taller tubes? What type are they, what can I replace them with.

Most importantly what is the best replacement tube of that type that will best compliment the Golds?

Also, I assume I don't need to change the jumper settings for using these Sylvanias since they are EF95s just like the ones that came with the amp?

Jul 17, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #1,115 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by One Fan To Another /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just today received my Sylvania Gold 6AK5 tubes for my MKIII but now I'm wondering:

What are the other tubes in the amp - the taller tubes? What type are they, what can I replace them with.

Most importantly what is the best replacement tube of that type that will best compliment the Golds?

The taller tubes are known as power tubes or rectifying tubes, upgrade tubes are Russian 6H6P-I and 6N6P. As with all Russian tubes the vintage and place of manufacture can effect the quality of the sound quite significantly, I'll let others more knowledgeable about these particular tubes to comment on the specifics but generally you should look for 6H6P-I and 6N6P tubes.

- DoA

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #1,116 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by One Fan To Another /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, I assume I don't need to change the jumper settings for using these Sylvanias since they are EF95s just like the ones that came with the amp?

You are right. No jumper changes yet.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'd give those golds about 45-50 hours of maturing, before making any other changes. You may not want to change a thing at that point.
smily_headphones1.gif
Let us know how the golds end up.

Jul 18, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #1,117 of 3,408
^Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely give these tubes a while to burn in then AB then with the other ones I have to see what kind of difference there is.

The seller of these golds took a while to ship them out so he gave me a couple sets of some other EF95s for free. I'm not sure what brand they are but I'll compare with them as well.

Jul 18, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #1,118 of 3,408
What to look for when getting some more 6N6P-i or 6N6P, Novosibirsk plant and of 70's vintage.

That's it for the power tubes. They are offered in lots of 8 or more at around 20 - 30 US for the lot. Cheap....
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jul 19, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #1,119 of 3,408
I just got these in the mail, Mullard M8161s. They don't look like other M8161s I've seen here. Are these newer stock? Look at the small shield.

Jul 19, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #1,120 of 3,408
I must confess I was a little skeptic regarding tube rolling and sound change. I was wrong! Just received 4 6ZH1P-EV tubes from the Ukraine. They sound brighter and deeper than the stock GE 5654 tubes. They are a little taller too. I love their sound!

Jul 19, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #1,121 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must confess I was a little skeptic regarding tube rolling and sound change. I was wrong! Just received 4 6ZH1P-EV tubes from the Ukraine. They sound brighter and deeper than the stock GE 5654 tubes. They are a little taller too. I love their sound!

I just bought 4 of these as well for a good price.

Jul 19, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #1,122 of 3,408
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got these in the mail, Mullard M8161s. They don't look like other M8161s I've seen here. Are these newer stock? Look at the small shield.

Those are the same small shields that I have. I think they are newer stock or at least a lot newer than the large shield version. They weren't too new though as the pins had significant oxidation.

Jul 19, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #1,123 of 3,408
the second picture of the cv4015 are exactly the same as two i got just a few days ago, said they were new old stock.
they are for my little dot mkii which i have'nt got yet

Jul 21, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #1,125 of 3,408

Users who are viewing this thread

Back