Little Dot MK IV SE vs Woo Audio WA6
Mar 5, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #46 of 78
i think the two larger solen's are the plate voltage input caps...the decoupling
caps are the smaller pair of yellow ero polyester types...

it looks like a nice amp. i'd change the caps and some other things but i'd
think it'd sound very nice...

Mar 5, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #47 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks so much for those impressions. More to muse about while I fume about the rescheduled delivery date for my MKIV SE (now it's coming on Thursday).
biggrin.gif

No problem! I just hope my post didn't sway your thoughts about the MKIV SE. It's a nice amp and I'm still impressed with mines. I just wasn't too surprised to find the WA6 to be a bit better sounding amp than the LD. But that's doesn't make the MKIV SE a bad amp at all, and the differences aren't exactly night and day but rather 10AM in the morning and 12 noon type of difference, if you catch my drift. I hope you get yours soon!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seba
Do you have stock tubes on your MKIV SE? Those M8100's are good but right now my GE 5 stars are better and I have Amperex 5654's coming from Yen. Also I'm waiting for my 6Zh1P-EV tubes to be matched in pairs.

Yea, I still have the stock ones, and they have well over 200 hours burned in sound the amp should be "matured" by now.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #48 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the two larger solen's are the plate voltage input caps...the decoupling
caps are the smaller pair of yellow ero polyester types...

it looks like a nice amp. i'd change the caps and some other things but i'd
think it'd sound very nice...

Polyester? I hope not but if they are there is a nice place to improve it right there. I don't even like polyester in the power supply let alone in the direct signal path though everything ends up in the signal path.

Mar 6, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #49 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem! I just hope my post didn't sway your thoughts about the MKIV SE. It's a nice amp and I'm still impressed with mines. I just wasn't too surprised to find the WA6 to be a bit better sounding amp than the LD. But that's doesn't make the MKIV SE a bad amp at all, and the differences aren't exactly night and day but rather 10AM in the morning and 12 noon type of difference, if you catch my drift. I hope you get yours soon!

Yea, I still have the stock ones, and they have well over 200 hours burned in sound the amp should be "matured" by now.

Yes, I was actually thinking about that during badminton practice (you see where my priorities lie
tongue.gif
). It's like two badminton players going against each other, and they both are closely matched, but you can see after awhile the strengths and weaknesses of both of them, and even after eventually one of them lose, you'll probably tend to want to still love the losing fella.
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #50 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a chance to listen to a WA6 at a friends house at one point using K701's and HD650's during a comparison test and using a Sony SCD CE 595 SACD as a source, and needless to say it does sound a bit better to my ears than the LD MKIV SE to be strictly honest with you guys. It had better bass that's more extended and textured, vocals and mids were more forward, and is very, very detailed and very well articulated in it's sound. Made me just a bit jealous of it. Would I buy one someday? Maybe, but I still find my MKIV SE to be more of a bang for your buck type of amp and definitely not gonna be replaced. I do prefer the looks of the MKIV SE to the WA6 imho, but we all know cosmetics don't matter in sound equipment. I hope I didn't make any other MKIV SE owners out there feel bad. I'm just trying to be honest here and sharing my impressions on both amps.

Thanks for posting your comparative impressions Xoen, it helped me to get an idea what the MKIV SE sounded like. The MKIV SE is a great value amp for sure.
The Woo6's very detailed sound is indeed one of its impressive characteristics. I've enjoyed it so far with all my headphones, from low impedance Audio Technicas to the HD650. Need to do a bit more tube rolling to explore more of its possibilities.

Mar 13, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #52 of 78
I have a LD MK IV SE on order. I have owned the stock Woo 6 for a while. I will make a comparison as soon as the Little Dot arrives. I will compare on hd 600's, akg701's and beyers. I hope the Little Dot OTL is better than my ASL MG HEAD MK 2.

Mar 13, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #53 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Avin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a LD MK IV SE on order. I have owned the stock Woo 6 for a while. I will make a comparison as soon as the Little Dot arrives. I will compare on hd 600's, akg701's and beyers. I hope the Little Dot OTL is better than my ASL MG HEAD MK 2.

If you own the Woo6, what sparked you to order the other? Just curiosity to compare the two?

Mar 13, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #54 of 78
i ended up going with a WA6 too and bought it from someone here on head-fi. I chose the WA6 because of the many reviews of it and it was only going to be maybe $60 dollars more than a new MKIV SE. Also the WA6 outputs 2 watts while MKIV SE is 500mw. Still this is going to be my first tube amp so either one would have probably worked great for me. I'm waiting for the balanced little dot though, looks interesting and should be out in a few months

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #56 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by fdhfdy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like little dot better

Just because?
rolleyes.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #57 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i ended up going with a WA6 too and bought it from someone here on head-fi. I chose the WA6 because of the many reviews of it and it was only going to be maybe $60 dollars more than a new MKIV SE. Also the WA6 outputs 2 watts while MKIV SE is 500mw. Still this is going to be my first tube amp so either one would have probably worked great for me. I'm waiting for the balanced little dot though, looks interesting and should be out in a few months

I have a WA6, and K701 headphones, and I was just wondering about the 2 watts output. I take it that both channels or 1 watt per channel correct?

Mar 14, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #60 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you own the Woo6, what sparked you to order the other? Just curiosity to compare the two?

I love the sound of OTL amps. I wanted to see if this new LD took the ASL MG Head mk 2 sound to another level. The Woo 6 is a fine amp in its own right, more exact, detailed and refined than the ASL. Just trying to get closer to the music. That is what we all do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back