List of DACs that work with iPad
Sep 14, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #526 of 963
Well in the EU, Apple has to provide a Lightning to micro USB adapter, because they have law/regulations in place to ensure that all devices use one common connector (i.e. micro USB). The problem is comes down to is, knowing Apple, the digital data transfer will likely be encrypted and manufacturers need special Apple certification to get the decryption key/hardware to put into their device. In their blog post, Cypher Labs mentioned that they'll be making their own Lightning cable for use with the CLAS, but even that needs to be certified before they can go into production.

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #528 of 963
To quote eron from the other thread:

I understand that current LODs will be affected. However, doesn't it also mean that in the future we can have even smaller LODs, or direct plugins to a DAC/AMP? 
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/14/new_lightning_dock_connector_capable_of_hosting_usb_devices___report

--
Stay tune for the Centrance HiFi-M8 as well. It might be compatible..Might. I'm just guessing.
http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/

But the question remains, will Apple still encrypt the audio data that's coming out. Being able to grab pictures from your camera, and record from you midi keyboard is great, but that's incoming data. Hosting a DAC will require outgoing (audio) data which has traditionally been encrypted.

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #529 of 963
Quote:
With Apples new iPhone 5 and all abandoning the 30 Pin connector for a 8 pin all digital dock, it would seem that the next iPad will logically  adopt the same connector and lose analog output....or use the headphone jack which has been moved to the bottom for analog out. 

So .... I'd hope the next generation (iPAd 4) will work with every DAC- though it would ahve been a lot simpler if it used a MINI USB like everyone else...(not happening).

I'd expect the upcoming IPad mini to use that new connector as well and also...likely move the headphone jack to the bottom with the exact same spacing of Headphone jack to dock .

Since when does Apple ever do what we expect?  I don't expect them to open up the iPad to USB DACs when they can instead license and make money from digital docks.  I think that's why iOS 4 reduced the max allowed current draw via CCK to 20ma and broke a lot of DACs that previously worked with iOS 3.

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #530 of 963
Quote:
To quote eron from the other thread:

But the question remains, will Apple still encrypt the audio data that's coming out. Being able to grab pictures from your camera, and record from you midi keyboard is great, but that's incoming data. Hosting a DAC will require outgoing (audio) data which has traditionally been encrypted.

I'm not allowed to share what I know about HiFi-M8 (I don't think so anyway, unless CEntrance has already shared about it) but I do remember talk of compatibility with iPhone 5.  

Has ANYBODY heard what the battery-life is going to be on the HiFi-M8????
That's something they were working on when I was laid-off.

Sep 16, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #531 of 963
FiiO E17 does not work with the iPad right? it seems to be a decent budget option and I have tried it with my phones and do approve. 
tongue.gif

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #532 of 963
Brand new product from Ray Samuel :  " The Intruder ":  sort of SR71B (fully ballanced" WITH a DAC.  

--> This may be the ultimate "ONE BOX ONLY" solution (plus the CCK of course ... unless I go for Android phone/tablet).
Plus, I will be also able to use it with my laptop (easier therefore to justify the buying cost)

http://raysamuelsaudio.com/products/intruder

bigsmile_face.gif

PS : .I start to consider using android rather than iPad. I am being feed-up with the constraints of Apple like the encripted digital signal, syncro through iTune, no memory expansion...  With a 128 Go Card in an android phone or tablet, I can carry EVERYWHERE all my loseless files....   Has someone done this ?    

Imagine a Galaxy3 + 128 Go card + The above Intruder....  

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #533 of 963
@bmichels, That is a good find. Don't recall the RSA Intruder announced anywhere else yet. I'm surprised it's made such a quiet entry into the market.

About Android, assuming you want to use an external USB DAC/Amp, you may to have wait/use Android 4.1/JellyBean. I could be wrong but I also read that it's limit is 24/96.

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #534 of 963
Quote:
PS : .I start to consider using android rather than iPad. I am being feed-up with the constraints of Apple like the encripted digital signal, syncro through iTune, no memory expansion...  With a 128 Go Card in an android phone or tablet, I can carry EVERYWHERE all my loseless files....   Has someone done this ?    

Imagine a Galaxy3 + 128 Go card + The above Intruder....  

I use the Seagate GoFlex Satellite (500GB) and it's the only portable everywhere configuration able to stream even 24 bit-perfect audio to the iPad, look how to here http://www.head-fi.org/t/625493/ipad-with-24-bit-files-high-storage-capacity-portability-bit-perfect-configurations-that-works . Latest SGGFS FW needed to browse internet while streaming to iPad.

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #535 of 963
Quote:
I use the Seagate GoFlex Satellite (500GB) and it's the only portable everywhere configuration able to stream even 24 bit-perfect audio to the iPad, look how to here http://www.head-fi.org/t/625493/ipad-with-24-bit-files-high-storage-capacity-portability-bit-perfect-configurations-that-works . Latest SGGFS FW needed to browse internet while streaming to iPad.

How's the battery life/drain on either transmitting/receiving device? Similarly heat dissipation?

Sep 17, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #536 of 963
I've no heat problems, battery drain is very good IMHO I've used it for 4/5 hours and can do more, I've never discharged it complately.
Like all wi-fi devices, network stability depends also on enviromental ambient, interferences or other wi-fi router around may cause problems, but generally I don't see its limits here.
I can watch more carefully about battery drain, but a lot depends of how much data are elaborated per hour, so a general rule it's impossible, for me 7 hours as reported in official specs, are possible. It comes standard also with a car charger/USB power adapter, so during car travels you've always a power source.

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #537 of 963
Thanks for your work on this Thraex. Now if the new iphone is capable of using an external DAC without powered hub or jailbreaking, it will be interesting to use the Seagate with that as a high-resolution portable player. 

Sep 18, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #540 of 963
Quote:
Hi, how are your wife and newborn?
Have you done any more test regarding CLAS 24 bit-perfect?

New born's fine actually! He's not certain if audio is his hobby yet :p :-

Unfortunately I've not gotten a chance to test with the CLAS yet. Currawong still has my portable gear (except for my DX100 & Go-DAPs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back