List of DACs that work with iPad
Jan 17, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #901 of 963
Colin,

You are right that this hub comes unpowered although it does have a power socket in case anyone wants to power it.

Unpowered it works with the Dragonfly DAC which the iPhone 5 would otherwise reject as needing too much power.

It won't work with the Dragonfly and my ipad3 although all current iPads worked when I tested them.

It only works for a few seconds with my old Fiio E17.

So my answer is maybe. What is your DAC?

The other option which I know works is the Matrix USB to SPDIF converter. I think it cost me about £40. I ordered from China using eBay and it arrived in about a week. I am sure it's been discussed in this thread. The device looks like an AA battery and works with both iPad and iPhone using ampliflac and Flacplayer.

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #903 of 963
Another one for the list of compatible DACs:

Woo Audio WDS-1 dac works with iPad via CCK.

Jan 27, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #906 of 963
Well surprise!  The Sony PHA-2 works with the iPad Air 2 digital throughput!  No error message and great sound.  All the more reason to go with the 2 vs. the very expensive PHA-3, especially at the closeout prices.  Listening now with Hifiman HE500's with a comfortable sound level at 12 o'clock on the PHA-2 volume pot.

Jan 30, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #908 of 963
I'm pleased to say I'm using a PS Audio Sprout via iPhone 6>CCK>USB hub>Generic usb cable

Jitter was noticeably higher with two usb hubs I used with their own cables, but I switched to this one and it made a big difference: http://www.amazon.com/Cute-USB-2-Port-Splitter-White/dp/B00A81ISJ6

I'm going to try switching out the usb cable with this: http://www.trianglecables.com/ad-usbaa-mm.html?utm_source=ad-usbaa-mm&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=FROOG&gclid=CJPPsNPPvMMCFUQ6gQodSgkABw

Any ideas on how to further reduce jitter? It also seems the battery dies pretty quickly :frowning2: ...

Pentagonal

Feb 1, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #909 of 963
  I'm pleased to say I'm using a PS Audio Sprout via iPhone 6>CCK>USB hub>Generic usb cable

Jitter was noticeably higher with two usb hubs I used with their own cables, but I switched to this one and it made a big difference: http://www.amazon.com/Cute-USB-2-Port-Splitter-White/dp/B00A81ISJ6

I'm going to try switching out the usb cable with this: http://www.trianglecables.com/ad-usbaa-mm.html?utm_source=ad-usbaa-mm&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=FROOG&gclid=CJPPsNPPvMMCFUQ6gQodSgkABw

Any ideas on how to further reduce jitter? It also seems the battery dies pretty quickly :frowning2: ...

Pentagonal

If you don't supply extra power via the Hub, the DAC is being powered by the iPhone. My 5S losts 1% per minute driving a Fiio E10K.

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #910 of 963
So apologies if I'm re-treading old ground with this question, but I'm very new to the world of CCK connections from my iPads and iPhone and after a chunk of reading I'm still confused about what's the best way forward.

Basically, I have an iPad 4, an iPad Air 2 and an iPhone 5S and recently bought the Lightning to USB CCK cable, with the aim of streaming from my iOS devices to my Violectric V800 DAC. The CCK works great directly to my Leckerton DAC/AMP, but the Violectric gives the 'too much power' message on all the iOS devices. I see folks mentioning the Matrix USB to SPDIF converter, and others talking about USB hubs, but I'd love some advice on what's easiest / makes the most sense. Help? :)

May 29, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #913 of 963
Still needing help.
Iphone6 via CCK to usb hub (powered) to powered peachtree dac no luck. But what's the exact configuration for the powered usb etc. which cable where. Can't get it to work.

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #914 of 963
Thanks for the list.
I use an external Dac , the mdx-600 from Advance Acoustic. It is not so well known, but all my devices go into this Dac.
My question is. My Dac as any other Dac accepts coaxial and optical, and usb inputs.
Does the ipad mini 2 has an optical output like the macbooks ?
If not, how on earth can I link the ipad to the Dac. With some intermediate device ?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back