List of DACs that work with iPad
Nov 1, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #886 of 963

True as if someone with a bit rate issue  searched and  hit the old info it will also led them to this thread and they might find the solution is just a software or firmware update. ..good thinking. I nuked mine- but your quote is still up to lead them here.

Nov 16, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #887 of 963
Fiio X3 works as usb dac - tested here with ipad 3 and a Chinese Camera Connection Kit / Sd. Card Reader.
The Chinese 8$ device bought from Ebay can work both as self-powered hub or unpowered.
It works even unpowered with the X3 even though the X3 keeps on charging itself from the Ipad! This is because the chinese gadget misreports power cinsumption to the ipad, tricking it into thinking a low power usb device is connected even though the x3 drains it ...
Obviously this will drain the ipads power faster than usual...
I'll have to ask Fiio for a setting to turn this off.

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #890 of 963
If you just use the standard lightning to USB cable, you'll probably run into the problem of the ipad air complaining about the X5 drawing too much power and refusing to accept it.

You may need some sort of a cheap Chinese usb hub that tricks the ipad air into thinking the X5 consumes only very little power (as I did for the FiiO X3, see above). Or you go the expensive way and buy an original powered Belkin hub for the Ipad Air.

I don't know if this cheap solution is available for the lightning connector. So if you want to try my solution which will almost definitely work, you need a lightning to 30 pin (old Ipad connector) adapter. Then this cheap Chinese USB hub/card reader/Camera Kit from Ebay (sent directly from China - just search for Ipad camera kit usb hub on ebay, you'll find many cheap ones. And off you go.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #893 of 963
Did you actually test it? I tested e series on android and it did not
Work. I will test on another android device.

It works with iDevices iPhone 5 and newer, and android devices that support host mode. The list of compatible models is on their website: http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-e3

It's on sale for Black Friday already for $100 on creative's website...

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #895 of 963
It works with iDevices iPhone 5 and newer, and android devices that support host mode. The list of compatible models is on their website: http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-e3

It's on sale for Black Friday already for $100 on creative's website...

I now see the confusion on my part.  Your original post got me:  Interestingly, Creative's new E-series DACS are iDevice compliant and run in host mode.  

I have the E-1 in for review,  which I will assume is part of the E-series and they do not indicate that it can be used via usb with a tablet or phone, rather they say to use the analog headphone out to the analog input of the amp.  I will test again over the next few days to confirm, but let's, for now, leave the E-1 out of the conversation :)

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #896 of 963
I now see the confusion on my part.  Your original post got me: [COLOR=FF0000] Interestingly, Creative's new E-series DACS are iDevice compliant and run in host mode.[/COLOR] [COLOR=FFA07A] [/COLOR]

I have the E-1 in for review,  which I will assume is part of the E-series and they do not indicate that it can be used via usb with a tablet or phone, rather they say to use the analog headphone out to the analog input of the amp.  I will test again over the next few days to confirm, but let's, for now, leave the E-1 out of the conversation :)

Interestingly, Creative's new E-series DACS are iDevice compliant and run in host mode... Lightning cable straight to the E5 or E3, for example.

Ah, sorry I wasn't thinking of the E-1. It'll be interesting to read your review and see what you think of it... I'll admit that I wasn't considering the E1 at all because I doubt an e1 DAC would be much of a quality increase over what is already in the iDevices I use. I tried pointing out specifically the E3 & E5, I don't have a problem changing my statements after I gain more info.

The quality and compatibility of android devices is all over the board, they deserve (and probably already have) their own thread to cover all their needs and workarounds.

Dec 9, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #897 of 963
I don't know if it's already been posted in this thread, but the E10K will work on an iPad/iPhone through the Lightning CCK with an intermediary hub to interfere with the E10K's power negotiation. It runs without extra power, the hub just blocks the request for 500mA from the CCK.

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #899 of 963
I bought a new DAC but it doesn't work with my Ipad mini 2 (using the USB camera adaptor). Can someone please recommend some USB to SPDIF converters that might work and are not too expensive? Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
colin

Colin, I bought a USB hub from Maplin that solved my problem. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/cerulian-4-port-usb-20-desktop-hub-n07jb

For £9.99 it may be worth trying. I have tested it unpowered with a Dragonfly DAC and CCK into every type of iPad/iPhone/iPod that was in my local Apple Store last month.

Ian

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #900 of 963
Colin, I bought a USB hub from Maplin that solved my problem. http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/cerulian-4-port-usb-20-desktop-hub-n07jb

For £9.99 it may be worth trying. I have tested it unpowered with a Dragonfly DAC and CCK into every type of iPad/iPhone/iPod that was in my local Apple Store last month.

Ian

Thanks off the advice. I already tried a cheap powered USB hub I got from eBay , with no luck. Might this one you recommend work, even if I have an underpowered problem? (it looks like a non powered type.)

Chees
Colin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back