List of DACs that work with iPad
Aug 3, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #871 of 963
Question: how can I charge the iPad while using usb dac at the same time? I know nuforce ido can do so, but it isn't exactly a top tier dac. I'm looking for a solution that works for all USB doc if possible...
I want to use my iPad to set up a home head-fi system, but if it can't be charged while playing, that's just too annoying.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #872 of 963
  Question: how can I charge the iPad while using usb dac at the same time? I know nuforce ido can do so, but it isn't exactly a top tier dac. I'm looking for a solution that works for all USB doc if possible...
I want to use my iPad to set up a home head-fi system, but if it can't be charged while playing, that's just too annoying.

You don't, unless the DAC can charge it like the iDo. Some hubs might, but I don't really recall any of the reports on hubs workin with DACs actually charging the iPad, they just power the DAC.

In any case do you really need continuous recharging while the iPad is working? When I use my iPad as a music server it only drains about 1% to 2%, but I don't keep the display running. I just run it when I select an album then it goes dark on its own or I hit the button on top to kill it.

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #873 of 963
You don't, unless the DAC can charge it like the iDo. Some hubs might, but I don't really recall any of the reports on hubs workin with DACs actually charging the iPad, they just power the DAC.

In any case do you really need continuous recharging while the iPad is working? When I use my iPad as a music server it only drains about 1% to 2%, but I don't keep the display running. I just run it when I select an album then it goes dark on its own or I hit the button on top to kill it.

Indeed. It does not drains a lot. I play music sometimes while surfing internet using my iPad 2 (far less battery capacity in comparison to later generation AFAIK) and it only drains 10% per hour

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #874 of 963
I can confirm that this USB cable works wonderfully to overcome the iOS power limitation. It's perfect if your DAC has a mini USB input. Plug the Apple adapter into your iPhone or iPad, plug the cable into the adapter, and plug the mini USB end into your DAC. I'm pretty sure it's the smallest solution you could find (I'd spent a good couple hours on eBay searching). Cost me 8 bucks. Tested on iPhone 5C with iOS 7.

The seller in the link doesn't have it at the moment, but others sell it too, just search. There are also other versions with different outputs instead of mini USB (micro USB, 30-pin etc).

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #876 of 963

So you mean that even if you power up the Lightning/CCK from the Usb side it doesen´t charge the Ipad?
Then it must be the CCK thats not connected internelly for charging...... or what?

Oct 28, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #877 of 963
Hi!
I thought this should be easy but apperently not..........

I want to put an Ipad mini 2 in my car, its gonna be permanent mounted so I need charging, I want to send the audio digital to my Processor thru Optical cable and let the processors built in D/A take care of it.

One idea was to connect it to an Pure i20(that has optical out) with an lightning to 30-pin adapter but I´m not sure if the adapter carry the signal digital to and thru the dock.

Do anyone here have any suggestions/tips for me I would be deeply thankfull!!!

Nov 1, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #878 of 963
Well, does your car audio system have a USB input? I'd think that many would accept USB Host Mode for iDevices before they would have an optical input, but if they at least have any USB audio support you could do what most of the people in this thread do, which is connect iPad Mini > Apple USB camera connection kit > small USB hub > DAC/Car Audio.

If the pure i20 actually has an optical output and that's the only digital input on your car audio, then yeah that should work (all digital connection).

Nov 1, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #879 of 963
Just another device heads-up, the upcoming Creative Soundblaster X7 is purported to have a Made For iDevice USB host mode so as to use it's 127 dB Signal:Noise DAC. It'll be priced pretty in-line with early MFi DACs at around $400 MSRP, however it's also able to connect to two Bluetooth devices at once, process headphone surround from PC-Mac-Game console-Movie Disc Player, has a speaker amp, a microphone, user-swappable OpAmp, and probably more that I'm forgetting. Oh, and a built-in headphone stand.
SoundBlaster.com/X7

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #880 of 963
Well, does your car audio system have a USB input? I'd think that many would accept USB Host Mode for iDevices before they would have an optical input, but if they at least have any USB audio support you could do what most of the people in this thread do, which is connect iPad Mini > Apple USB camera connection kit > small USB hub > DAC/Car Audio.

If the pure i20 actually has an optical output and that's the only digital input on your car audio, then yeah that should work (all digital connection).

Hi and thanks for reply!
My car audio system will not have Usb in, the system is going to be the Ipad and a processor with Optical in and amps connected to processor, nothing else.
Right now it looks to land on Ipad>Apple USB camera connection kit >iFi iUsb>iFi iLink>Processor, its just the charging im looking on to solve now :)

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #881 of 963
Hewi, I live in Laguna Beach, where are you located?

There is a adapter I think sold by apple which splits your port into a charging port and a dock. Though I am not sure if that was a lightning or a 30 pin connector.

I'm also using an iPad in the car. But for now, I sold my iPad air and am waiting for delivery of my Verizon iPad Air 2 128GB. The goal is to do this.
Ipad air 2, Onkyo HF player app>CCK>USB HUB>HEGEL HD2>Nordost Blue Heaven Coaxial cable> HEGEL HD25>Mcintosh system. So I can play 24/96 in the car or even DSD. However the HD2 won't pass signal higher than 24/96 so everything higher than that would get down converted. Still The HEGEL is the best sounding DAC I have found that might be able to shoehorn into a custom center console. It also doesn't get as warm as the Lynx studios Hilo- and has a simpler interface for the car. I still have figure out the PSU for the Hegel HD25 though since it is a 110 volt unit. I might use a Morningstar pursing 300 what inverter. and then run that into a MIT Z duplex super .You must be very careful using 110 volts in a car- touch that 110 voltage to your 12volt car chassis and instantly fry your car's onboard computers. 
My other choice is to have Vinnie from Red wine audio do a battery based PSU for me, and have him bypass the internal HEGEL 110 volt conversion. That would likely result in a  bigger audio improvement at home and the car if I used a large 12 volt battery. DACs really benefit from better power supplies despite their low power consumption. 

Here are a few 12 volt running DACs Apogee mini DAC, Lynx Studios hilo,HRT istreamer, Arcam r/DAC, Cambridge Audio.

I for some reason haven't given the iFi a listen yet... how would you describe it's sound?

Prior to this HEGEL combo my best SQ however was using a laptop in the car- specifically

Macbook pro running hi rez files with snow leopard in integer mode, Audirvana 1.4.9.7, firewire out, Apogee mini DAC with firewire input connected directly to the car battery- which made the Apogee Mini DAC sound much better than in the home since its stock switching power supply isn't nearly as good as a car battery, Cardas XLR-RCA adapters to McIntosh 5 way crossover and parametric EQ to McIntosh Amps.

Another likely smart choice would be the Woo Audio W8 tube portable which I heard at RMAF 2014. The nice thing about that- you get tube smoothness, and its not to much hassle to carry an Ipad and that out of your car making you less prone to theft. Its a nice transportable office system too. I liked what I hard at RMAF from this to warrant a relisten to a burnt in unit. It was really good sound from a portable...it will be interesting to compare it to the HEGEL HD25/HD2 combo.

Some smaller USB DACS:  HEGEL SUPER, Chord Hugo, RSA Predator or similar, Meridian Explorer (great bang for the buck), Chord Qute (cool interface)  ... I really did not give this DAC a good enough testing with a separate PSU which people seem to like.

Nov 1, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #882 of 963
Note: edited due to updated info making this post currently  irrelevant.

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #883 of 963

FYI I dd find this post that I had read a while ago from Shanghai.

Having a bit of trouble with the Onkyo HF player....

I'm using an iPhone 4S running iOS 7.0.6, connected to an HRT Headstreamer via the HRT Host Mode Adapter (basically a rebranded CCK) and the supplied cable. As source material, I am using Redbook material ripped from CD in AIFF and ALAC formats, as well as 96/24 files downloaded from HDTracks.

The Redbook files work perfectly, but on the 96 KHz material there is a loud, continuous clicking after the first second or so of music. BTW, these files play perfectly on my DX50, and also replay through the iPhone's built-in loudspeaker (downsampled, presumably...).

Also, my Pure i20 appears only to output a 44.1 KHz signal (the LD DAC_1 which I use with it has a frequency display - the same file via the DX50's SPDIF output registers the full 96 KHz!).

Any suggestions / advice?

----

​So you may be limited to Redbook - though others may have figured out a work around- or he might just be having issues.

maybe this has something to do with it:

What's New in Version 1.2.1

• Support for 11.2 MHz DSD to PCM file conversion added
• Bug fixes when playing some music files downloaded from HDtracks
• General bug fixes

and this:

Although not officially supported, 96 kHz and 192 kHz audio files can be output to a compatible USB digital audio processing device using a Camera Connection Kit for iPad
• Smooth playback may be compromised on older devices (iPhone4 and below) when in HD equalizer mode due to high processing demands

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #884 of 963
  maybe this has something to do with it:

What's New in Version 1.2.1

• Support for 11.2 MHz DSD to PCM file conversion added
• Bug fixes when playing some music files downloaded from HDtracks
• General bug fixes

and this:

Although not officially supported, 96 kHz and 192 kHz audio files can be output to a compatible USB digital audio processing device using a Camera Connection Kit for iPad
• Smooth playback may be compromised on older devices (iPhone4 and below) when in HD equalizer mode due to high processing demands

Now that's great info. Much appreciated for the correction as I don't want spread any false info ever ..as that is totally counter productive to the whole purpose of these forums. ...I'm going to erase  my previous post.. (and this one of you nix yours like me to prevent "thread BLOAT" Thanks Bixby! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back