List of DACs that work with iPad
Oct 23, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #946 of 963
Current set up, iPad Pro, Lightening to USB Camera Adaptor, USB to powered hub to Anne T1 (DAC/Amp) to Sennheiser HD600. I also used this set up with my iPhone 6s, but when it upgraded to IOS 10 none of the apps would play though it. I tried Classics Online, Tidal, Spotify, Amazon Music, FLAC Player even iTunes and none would play through the lightening connector, each one would simply freeze when I pushed the play icon. All of these work without a problem with the iPad (and worked with the iPhone before the IOS X upgrade) does anyone have any insight into this problem.

Oct 23, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #947 of 963
I can't add anything other than to say on my iphone6s+ running iOS 10 (currently 10.1 beta 5) I use Spotify, FLAC player, tidal etc into my Chord Mojo & Hugo without freezes. Not helpful I know. Sorry. I do get the sound corrupting randomly if I make heavy use of the iPhone while simultaneously playing music so I will try a clean install of 10.1 when it reaches final status.

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #948 of 963
Newbie here.  I got referred to this thread by another member.  

Question:  I have an iPhone 5S.  I was thinking of getting one of Ray Samuels amps, perhaps the Predator with the DAC built in and a USB input.  Is there any way to extract the raw music files from the iPhone, bypassing the iPhone's DAC, and feed them directly into Ray's Predator?

Thanks!

Martin

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #949 of 963
Newbie here.  I got referred to this thread by another member.  

Question:  I have an iPhone 5S.  I was thinking of getting one of Ray Samuels amps, perhaps the Predator with the DAC built in and a USB input.  Is there any way to extract the raw music files from the iPhone, bypassing the iPhone's DAC, and feed them directly into Ray's Predator?

Thanks!

Martin

The Apple Camera Connection Kit and the Onkyo HF Player app.

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #951 of 963
And is this the Apple Camera Connection kit you're talking about?

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=91  

Finally, since the connection kit and the Predator both have female USB connections, is there a very small or very short male/male USB connector available somewhere?

Thanks again!

Martin

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #952 of 963
  Is the Onkyo app a necessity or a nice to have?

It does high res I think but on 16/44.1 I never noticed any difference between that and FLACPlayer. If your files are ALAC I'd just use iTunes Player.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=91  

Yes. Note that 3rd party versions sometimes don't actually work for some reason (maybe just badly made, not sure), so this is the safest bet.

Finally, since the connection kit and the Predator both have female USB connections, is there a very small or very short male/male USB connector available somewhere?

Googled "short USB cable" and found these. Just make sure you get one with the right USB-B plug for the end that goes into the Predator.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xshort+usb.TRS0&_nkw=short+usb&_sacat=0

This is the advantage of going with Made for iPod/iPhone certified devices - they use a sync cable and they usually come with a very short one.

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #953 of 963

Thanks again!

Martin

Alternatively you could get this version of the camera adapter. It has an additional lightning port that allows you to charge the phone while listening to music.
fnode=91http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=91

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #954 of 963
I finally received my Predator from Ray.  A very nice unit that works as advertised.  I was able to extract the raw digital music from the iPhone, however, the Predator's DAC is powered by the device it plugs into and I found that my iPhone 5S would give me a warning that there wasn't enough power available to run the DAC.  So, I returned the camera connection adapter and bought the one with the extra lightning port so I can plug in a charger to run the DAC.  Works fine, though it would be nice to be able to use the DAC without needing an external source of power.  On the plus side, I imagine that if the phone could power the DAC, phone battery life would be short.  

Perhaps an auxiliary battery would do the trick for listening on the go.

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #955 of 963
  I finally received my Predator from Ray.  A very nice unit that works as advertised.  I was able to extract the raw digital music from the iPhone, however, the Predator's DAC is powered by the device it plugs into and I found that my iPhone 5S would give me a warning that there wasn't enough power available to run the DAC.  So, I returned the camera connection adapter and bought the one with the extra lightning port so I can plug in a charger to run the DAC.  Works fine, though it would be nice to be able to use the DAC without needing an external source of power.  On the plus side, I imagine that if the phone could power the DAC, phone battery life would be short.  

Perhaps an auxiliary battery would do the trick for listening on the go.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=slim+powerbank

Apr 3, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #956 of 963
After searching the reviews at iLounge, I decided to buy Incipio's case with a backup battery.  What I'm hoping is that with the extra battery capacity 2000mAh x 2 batteries, I can run the Predator without the need for an AC connection.  Ray said the Predator's DAC draws about 80 mA's so the 2000 mAh battery may get me as many as 25 hours of DAC run time.  More than sufficient, I think.  I'll post the results when I get the new case tomorrow.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #957 of 963
  After searching the reviews at iLounge, I decided to buy Incipio's case with a backup battery.  What I'm hoping is that with the extra battery capacity 2000mAh x 2 batteries, I can run the Predator without the need for an AC connection.  Ray said the Predator's DAC draws about 80 mA's so the 2000 mAh battery may get me as many as 25 hours of DAC run time.  More than sufficient, I think.  I'll post the results when I get the new case tomorrow.

The amp stage will need to charge before you get to 25hrs. That said, if you're using Spotify or Tidal, the phone will also use more of the batteries' charge.

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #958 of 963
So much for that idea.  Turns out (I should have checked the photos closer) that once the phone goes into the case, there's no extension to the outside of the lightning port.  So, the case was useless for my application.  And after checking all the other battery cases, I found the same to be true.  Too bad no one seems to make a battery case that has a lightning port.  That also means that anytime someone needs to back up their phone, they need to remove it from the case.  I wouldn't be that difficult to design the case more intelligently.  

So, I bought a iWalk 10,000 mAh battery and I'll use that to power the Predator's DAC through the Apple adapter.  Oh well.

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #959 of 963
Hey i have a new 2017 ipad and a devilsound v2.1 dac. I notice its on the list as confirmed working with ipad but I'm wondering what sort of cable i need to get to connect it to the iPad? Is it just like a camera adapter or something? Also does it need a powered usb hub or not?

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #960 of 963
Hey i have a new 2017 ipad and a devilsound v2.1 dac. I notice its on the list as confirmed working with ipad but I'm wondering what sort of cable i need to get to connect it to the iPad? Is it just like a camera adapter or something? Also does it need a powered usb hub or not?

You probably have answered this question long ago, but if not, I have an iPad Pro which I connect to an Aune T1 which I use as a DAC by using an Apple Lightening to USB connector and route it through a powered hub (if not I get a low power warning). I don’t know whether the devilsound v.2.1 will work without a powered DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back