Liquid midrange headphones. 100-300$
Oct 13, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #31 of 55
not sure what 'liquid' means. But on the low end of the budget, K240M gives me that flowing liquidity.

Oct 13, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #32 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by das_bill
I think i just like the neutrality of the etys. Like Jon L said. Which is why i was considering the K501. This budget doesn't include an amp. I figure I will get a Gilmore Lite in time. But until then I will have a portable amp only.

I have heard the term liquid used when describing many high end amps and headphones so why not use that to describe a can i want!! haha.

Well thanks for the input guys. Your responses have been very helpful I think I am looking for more of a flat sound so the grados are a maybe I have liked what I have heard but it hasn't blown me away. Though when I heard the RS-1s they sounded damn good. I coudn't decide between recabled 650s and RS-1s when I listened to both. I liked the 595s but they sounded grainy which is not musical liquid or smooth.

I really don't think my ety's are harsh either. So maybe grado's wouldn't bother me. I think i'll borrow my friends SR 80s for a week.

Hey, I just noticed your sig says Ety ER6i, not ER4P/S! I was talking about ER4P/S, which I own but will agree can be "harsh." If you don't have a clear preference between RS-1 and recabled (zu?) HD650, maybe you should join us AKG guys and hold out for the new K601/701, which I just KNOW will be special...

Oct 13, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Live music isn't liquid? What shows are you going to? Though I agree with your point, etys sound harsh and etched and are as far from liquid in the mids as you can get.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm, "liquid" would not even be in the first ten descriptions that comes to my mind during live (unamplified) music events: irresistably involving, devastating impact, startling bite without harshness, effortless dynamics (micro and macro), REALLy correct timber of instruments, no rolling off of any frequency spectrum, no blurring of leading edge/harmonics/decay, Soooo much more treble energy than through headphones/speakers yet so unfatiguing, just LIVE baby, and every single detail so distinct and separate it doesn't take any effort to listen, etc, etc..

Oct 13, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #35 of 55
I voted for 501's, 'cause I like AKG sound (K240DF/M, K401, K141S), particularly their mids that never fade away and are just a little bit smoother that pristine. Grado's feel warm and a bit hars to me, but not liquid (too synaesthetic term, hope I'm right) at all.

Oct 13, 2005 at 12:33 PM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Hey, I just noticed your sig says Ety ER6i, not ER4P/S! I was talking about ER4P/S, which I own but will agree can be "harsh."

Oops... I thought ge was talking about the ER4's as well. Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Hmm, "liquid" would not even be in the first ten descriptions that comes to my mind during live (unamplified) music events

I take it you see a lot of rock live?
biggrin.gif

I am beginning to think that my definition of a liquid midrange is not the same as others'. In my mind many headphones sound like their guitar sounds are unnaturaly etched and vocals sound off. A headphone with a 'liquid' midrange [by my definition], like the K340's, will not have this problem... instead sounding more live. With the K340's this does not cause any lack of detail or dynamics, with other headphones like the K240S it does to some extent. It also has to do with decay to some extent I think, but I might be using that term incorrectly.

Oct 13, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #37 of 55
to me, "liquid midrange" means laid back, smooth, relaxed, euphonic. Maybe the OP can clarify..

Oct 13, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #38 of 55
I don't think being laid back has anything to do with it as most AKG's are known for their 'liquid' midrange and they all have pretty forward sounding mids. Smooth and euphonic are good terms though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #39 of 55
effortless is basically liquid i think. A when you listen to it the notes aren't jumbled together but you can here them mix like you would live. It is hard for me to describe what I want because I don't exactly know yet. I think correct decay has a lot to do with it.

Oct 14, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by das_bill
effortless is basically liquid i think. A when you listen to it the notes aren't jumbled together but you can here them mix like you would live. It is hard for me to describe what I want because I don't exactly know yet. I think correct decay has a lot to do with it.

Uhh, that would be resolution and separation you want gobs of. As one gets more resolution, music actually sounds less harsh and peaky (contrary to what some "detail freaks" think) b/c the pixels of sound get finer and finer yet more separated and distinct.

Sorry, man, now you're talking BIG Money. "Liquid and smooth" is relatively easier to get than "highly resolved and separated therefore natural" You might want to look at some recent posts by several filthy rich folks who received some packages from Germany or rather
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #41 of 55
The two don't have to be mutualy exclusive... the K340 is both liquid and highly resolving wouldn't you say? And as for seperation, I've yet to hear another headphone that does imaging this well.
340smile.gif

Oct 15, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #42 of 55
I'm kind of surprised by the votes.
confused.gif
Senn 580 is just alright, and the a900 recessed mids is it's only flaw and it is perhaps fatal. Why would it beat out the k501? Even my k240s had better mids than those Senns and those a900s. I would think that the k501 would be even better than the k240s. I don't know, please don't flame me.

Oct 15, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #43 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahlerfan
I'm kind of surprised by the votes. Senn 580 is just alright, and the a900 recessed mids is it's only flaw and it is perhaps fatal. Why would it beat out the k501? Even my k240s had better mids than those Senns and those a900s. I would think that the k501 would be even better than the k240s. I don't know, please don't flame me.

Took the words right out of my mouth... I'm not understanding all the Senn love here. They are great, but mids are NOT their strong point. Oh, and the A900's have the midrange of a dying goat.
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #44 of 55
If i had a more powerful amp i think i would get the AKGs but right now i just have a go vibe on the way. I am thinking beyerdynamic 880s. But i will probably end up with the senns just because you can buy them for so cheap brand spankin new. Do you think the go vibe could power the 501? I don't really think so

Oct 15, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #45 of 55
The 880's are very nice... BUT, If you think you are going to upgrade your amp in the future, go for the K340's. It will pay off.
340smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back