Limited, wooden portable ATH-ESW10JPN arrives! (with pics)
Nov 12, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #451 of 1,717
Hi,

I listen to my ER4P at 80% volume and the ESW10 I tried at the shop at 80% also. I feel that throughout the years my ears gets less sensitive to my IEMs.

Not that I don't like it, but I'm particularly worried about that and my ER4P gets my ears tired really easily as compared to my ER6i.

That's when I decided I wanted a change for portable headphones instead. The ESW10 doesn't sit right in my ear and it's not as harsh to my ear drums.

Perhaps my next IEM should be the Shure E530. For that it does not pierce so much and still sounds good.

Regards.

Nov 13, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #453 of 1,717
I dunno about that. Sure, pricejapan still has them in stock but audiocubes seems to have only 6 left
eek.gif
Heck maybe the majority of them were sent overseas(to head-fi members) and the Japanese didn't even get a chance to grab any
wink_face.gif

Oh and on different note, i'm very pleased with mine
atsmile.gif
. 'Pico arrived the day after so i can't complain
icon10.gif
For now i'll burn them in while listening to my old cans.

Have to say though, these things do clamp quite tightly. PhatPad anyone?

-Edit, using 1/4" tubing seems to up the bass but lower the detail substantially as well as causing a blanketed effect amoungst other things. Sounds quite disturbing actually
confused_face.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #454 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by palestofwhite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I listen to my ER4P at 80% volume and the ESW10 I tried at the shop at 80% also. I feel that throughout the years my ears gets less sensitive to my IEMs.

Not that I don't like it, but I'm particularly worried about that and my ER4P gets my ears tired really easily as compared to my ER6i.

That's when I decided I wanted a change for portable headphones instead. The ESW10 doesn't sit right in my ear and it's not as harsh to my ear drums.

Perhaps my next IEM should be the Shure E530. For that it does not pierce so much and still sounds good.

Regards.

whoa, an IEM at 80% volume? either your source is really low power or you're going deaf.

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #455 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whoa, an IEM at 80% volume? either your source is really low power or you're going deaf.

It's easy to have the Etys set up at 80% of volume. They are not as sensitive as Shure E500, Triple fi, Super fi and such. It all depends on the player's output power.

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #456 of 1,717
Won't pricejapan always have them "in stock"?
They have good customer service, though i was disappointed when i was picking up my AD2000s from the customs that they didn't put any purchase certificate / receipt in the package, and of course i hadn't printed the e-mail with all of the information. --> No can's for me that day
frown.gif

Is this customary with these companies?'

-K

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #457 of 1,717
I'll admit, they do have good customer service.
Though with them printing the wrong address on the package it took around 2 weeks before they arrived.

Generally i don't get much else other than those multiple layers of customs declaration sheets that you usually see slapped onto the top. I just keep my hands on those for whatever worth they have.
Maybe its given upon request or something. I'd think/hope the paypal invoice will suffice when the time comes that i require proof of purchase.

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #458 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering how many people seem to have the ESW10 and how many are for sale, it seems that the whole limited edition of 1500 units was BS.

10 or 20 pairs out of say 10 or so shops online is like 200 max... and that's being generous on the estimates

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #459 of 1,717
Hey everyone,
After selling my ed9, which i did not like nearly enough for the money it cost me, i decided to go for an audio technica headphone instead, and since I need a portable this one stood out, so I went for it. I am afraid though it might be too fragile for me/not have enough isolation, but who knows, if it sounds good enough i might keep it. I am getting quite desperate foor a good isolated can which i will like for portable use, the only can with really good isolation that is sturdy which i have found so far is the hd25, but that is just average sounding and not that comfortable.... I fear i will have to go the custom iem route, i have tried the shure se530 and in the beginning i was quite awestruck how the sound seemed to play right insideyour head, but i was not that impressed with, for example its bass or its soudnstage. I also could not figure out how to clean these msall fragile things or to change the sleeves...
Greetings, Anouk,

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #460 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by LocrEpinS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno about that. Sure, pricejapan still has them in stock but audiocubes seems to have only 6 left
eek.gif

I wouldn't trust that statement. I just bought 3 from them and they still say there are only 6 left.

Being busy away from HeadFi for quite some time I just stumbled upon this thread. I have quite a few good headphones and my ESW9s were getting most my head time lately.

I was years waiting for something like the ESW9s for casual good listening while in museums or plain walking around. I'm not that fan of IEMs although I like the sound of my UE10s or 530s. I'm so happy with the ESW9s that I'm not selling my two pairs of them, no matter if the 10s are on their way.

I can't recommended them enough. This is a good example of perfect "fit for purpose". Size, rotating cups, cables, jack, great sound even unamped, smart looks, closed construction but not terribly isolating (so you can be somewhat aware of the world while walking), slim pouch or hard bag available depending on requirements, makes them the perfect portable can. Somewhat uncomfortable for long periods due to tight clamp, specially at first but they get better.

My main complain with the 9s was the "a tad too much" loose bass, making things a bit confusing in tracks with fast deep bass (Massive Attack's Angel anyone?). They seem to have fixed this with the 10s. Can't wait to try them.

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #461 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone,
After selling my ed9, which i did not like nearly enough for the money it cost me, i decided to go for an audio technica headphone instead, and since I need a portable this one stood out, so I went for it. I am afraid though it might be too fragile for me/not have enough isolation, but who knows, if it sounds good enough i might keep it. I am getting quite desperate foor a good isolated can which i will like for portable use, the only can with really good isolation that is sturdy which i have found so far is the hd25, but that is just average sounding and not that comfortable.... I fear i will have to go the custom iem route, i have tried the shure se530 and in the beginning i was quite awestruck how the sound seemed to play right insideyour head, but i was not that impressed with, for example its bass or its soudnstage. I also could not figure out how to clean these msall fragile things or to change the sleeves...
Greetings, Anouk,

I've only had the ESW10JPN for about 5 minutes and can already say that it is a very good sounding headphone, but I find it has very little isolation from outside noise.

The isolation is almost nothing compared to an HD25 or Edition 9 or HFI-780. Sure, the ESW10JPN blocks the fan noise on my laptop, but not the ceiling fan noise. The ceiling fan noise is loud enough that I can't hear myself rubbing my fingers together just outside of the earcups, and when I pull the cups off my head the fan noise does not seem louder. I can hear myself typing on the keyboard.

I will be trying different head positions and placement over the ears, and letting the ear pads settle in a little to see if it can be improved. They are gorgeous looking, and the sound is quite good, but I am surprised at the lack of isolation.

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #463 of 1,717
I do have to say these sound much better to me than the ATH-W5000 that naamanf brought over once, or the ATH-W11R that I used to own for a few days. There are no irritating upper mids, or honky mids like those two ATH cans (which reminded me of CD3000 as well).

The ESW10 have very good detail and bass is well controlled and not lacking, unlike either A900 which can get congested or sloppy. The highs are crisp, and not rolled off like the D1000 (or to a lesser degree the A900 LTD or re-cabled dampened ART). Timbre and tone with real instruments is good as well. Bass seems strong at 25Hz and rolled off below.

I guess it makes sense as a portable to be able to hear the traffic as you walk down the sidewalk listening to them. If I'm flying I'll use my ATH-ANC7.

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #465 of 1,717
O.K. I have been reading every comment about these headphones and everyone is waxing poetic about them. So here is a question: Do you think that the ESW10's are the best headphones that Audio-Technica has ever produced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back