Limited, wooden portable ATH-ESW10JPN arrives! (with pics)
Nov 11, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #436 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the comments. Since the ESW10 is a portable headphone, it seems to me that is was designed to plug directly into a portable audio player. But I still would like someone to post an A-B test. Maybe the ESW10 sounds better when plugged into a portable amp with the amp being connected to the line out of the media player.

I don't have a line out from the iPod, but as I said, they did improve significantly when connected to the Move. The DAC is probably responsible for some of that but one thing is clear: ESW10 will improve noticeably as the source improves.

I agree with palestofwhite about the sound though. They sound similar to ER4. Similar, but not the same.

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #437 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, the EW10s do not need a portable amp. I've used them with my pico when using my laptop as a source, but enjoy them right from my ipod as well. Depending on the amp, I'm sure there will be differences to note, but they definitely do not require an amp to sound good.

yup, as I posted before, there is no reason for me to carry portable amp when I'm walking around. If it's transportable use, something like a pico would provide better benefit.

Quote:

I don't know why I didn't do this before, but I just looked at the sensitivity rating on the ESW10's. At 102db., they can definitely be plugged directly into the headphone out of an iPod and should sound great. I would like to know if it were plugged into an iQube, if there would be a noticeable difference.

There should be. I'm not sure how many people who have ESW10 would also have an iQube though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lundh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have a line out from the iPod, but as I said, they did improve significantly when connected to the Move. The DAC is probably responsible for some of that but one thing is clear: ESW10 will improve noticeably as the source improves.

I agree with palestofwhite about the sound though. They sound similar to ER4. Similar, but not the same.

Um. How does DAC improve sound when you're plugging your ipod (via 1/8 inch interconnect) stright to move? DAC only works if you have it connected to your computer via USB cable. That sound improvement is due to amp section only, not DAC.

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #438 of 1,717
I'm really curious as to how recabling works for these cans as well. I plan to get them recabled after 1 year of use (basically after warranty runs out.) I hear the stock cable on ESW9 is pretty crappy and it seems that the cable on the ESW10 is exactly the same as the one on 9s.

Anyways, I'm gonna be using these w/ Iriver E10 + Ibasso D3 or Mini^3. We'll see how things work out...

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #439 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um. How does DAC improve sound when you're plugging your ipod (via 1/8 inch interconnect) stright to move? DAC only works if you have it connected to your computer via USB cable. That sound improvement is due to amp section only, not DAC.

The Move comment was in reference to my previous post. It was connected to a Mac (not the iPod) using the USB connection. Guess I should have mentioned that. All tests was using the same audio files though.

I actually found the 5G iPod lacking from the headphone out. Even the headphone out from the new MacBook is slightly better using ESW10.

Anyway. My point was that yes, you can use ESW10 directly from an iPod. There is no problem with getting them to play uncomfortably loud, but a better source will make them sound much better.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #440 of 1,717
Hi,

I doubt there will be problems with the durability of the wires.

My pair of Etymotic ER6i has thinner, frail wires and the built or way it connects to the drivers are unbelievable. They look like the kind even the wind can break it with one gust.

They survived my 3 years of abuse and for a period of time I did not even use the provided case and chucked it in my bag.

Even if you break them I'm sure you can send them back for a fix.

People should be more concerned about the wire length for their home setup.

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #442 of 1,717
Quote:

I don't know why I didn't do this before, but I just looked at the sensitivity rating on the ESW10's. At 102db., they can definitely be plugged directly into the headphone out of an iPod and should sound great. I would like to know if it were plugged into an iQube, if there would be a noticeable difference.

Send HiFlight a PM he has both the ESW10 and an iQube.

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #443 of 1,717
I currently have an iQube hooked up to a set of SE530 IEMs but have decided to get a pair of ESW10jpn just the other day. I will make sure to give you some impressions once the headphones arrive next week. Btw, IEMs just seem lacking for me compared to my home setup....so the ESW10 seemed like a great way to get the full sized headphone sound on the go! Hopefully I will enjoy them since they are my first audio technica phones. I am used to listening to my HD650s and D5000s right now.

Nov 12, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #444 of 1,717
Quote:

If you like detailed sound, you will love the iQube/ESW10 combination. Vocals are clearly projected forward, along with mucho deep tight bass. Soundstage is very wide with a great sense of realism. I like the 10s better with my iQube than any other of my phones. They are an excellent match.

The sound is probably what one could expect from a good desktop setup, but considering the combined price of these two, they should sound outstanding!

Nov 12, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #445 of 1,717
Well thats great to hear HiFlight....i'm really looking forward to receiving my pair soon. I just felt that my SE530 wasn't all that well matched with the iQube in that the amp didn't really add all that much to the shure IEMs because of how transparent sounding it is. I hope that it will have more of an impact on the ESW10's and really bring up their potential compared to a normal headphone out.

Nov 12, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #446 of 1,717
Wow, this is what Head-Fi is all about. I just got home from work and checked to see if anyone has chimed in about the issues I brought up and both HiFlight and Monsiurguzel gave excellent responses. Thank you. I do not have any headphones at all and if I purchase the ESW10's they will be my first. I have also had one eye on the iQube and was wondering if they were an excellent match or not. I would think that the iQube with the SE530's would not make that much of a difference since IEM's are of high sensitivity and need very little power. However, even though the ESW10's have a sensitivity rating of 102db, I would like to know if they benefit from the iQube. HiFlight said that the two components are an excellent combination. My question to HiFlight then is, how does the ESW10 sound plugged directly into the iPod without the iQube? Is there that much of a difference to justify carrying a portable amp around?

Nov 12, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #447 of 1,717
^ you're going to get spoiled
wink.gif

I personally don't carry portable amps myself, as they're not very portable to begin with (it doubles the size of my rig, as well as adding quite a bit of weight) and they provide minimal sound improvement compared to (most of) dedicated home amps. The only situation I would imagine portable amp would be useful is that you're running your laptop for source and using DAC/AMP from them.

I generally go with home amps or no amps at all.

This is,though, my personal opinion and many will disagree.

cheers

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #448 of 1,717
Yes, I am getting spoiled, and I don't even own any audio equipment yet. What gives? Your comments about not carrying around a portable amp is certainly noted. It is much more simple and easy to carry around just an iPod and headphones and that is what I would like to do. The reason I am keeping an eye on an iQube though is because it might make a significant improvement. I don't know. A colleague of mine at work is in a band, and she is addicted to music (as she should be). Her "system" is an iPod nano and a cheap pair of Sony noise-canceling headphones. I listened to them tonight and was impressed. Was it great? No. Will it work wonderfully on the crowded city streets and subways here in New York. Yes. Her portable system is, for her, just a means to an end. It's all about the music.

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #449 of 1,717
Hi,

No need to worry, I tested the demo set of ESW10 at the local store before I bought them right out of my 1g Nano, that's why I bought them.

I don't know if it's just me, the ESW10 at 45ohms seems easier to drive than my ER4P at 26ohms straight out from the iPod.

Btw I exchanged my set of D3 Python and a silver LOD for the ESW10 with a cash top up (due to RF interference). Which means I wanted a headphone I can go without an Amp since I returned them.

Regards.

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #450 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by palestofwhite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if it's just me, the ESW10 at 45ohms seems easier to drive than my ER4P at 26ohms straight out from the iPod.

I don't agree with this. ER4P is definitely the easier to drive for me. I play the ER4P at 1/4 volume or less, the ESW10 need at least half volume almost all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back