Limited, wooden portable ATH-ESW10JPN arrives! (with pics)
Nov 10, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #421 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm such a loser!!! I just bought another pair after selling my first ESW10 after 3 days.

What can I say? I missed them and I knew I couldn't be happy knowing the ESW10 was out there laughing at me... Although I probably would have been happy with an ESW9.

Did you buy them with cash back, Angelic? Did you help Red out?

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #422 of 1,717
Morrison, I don't think you can get the cash back deal
frown.gif
... I think it's available for US only.

Nov 10, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #423 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Morrison, I don't think you can get the cash back deal
frown.gif
... I think it's available for US only.

Where can one find the 25% cash back deal for the US on these?

I probably shouldn't ask, given I'm very happy with my ESW9's, but...

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #425 of 1,717
Hi,

I pre-ordered my ESW10 with an iPod Nano bundle, 2 days ago with a local stereo dealer. However they will only arrive at the end of this, or earlier next month.

Meanwhile I have plans to get a hard case to keep them since it only comes with a soft pouch. I heard there is an issue in keeping the wires
with the Audio Technica hard case for the headphones. Are there any other alternatives or work around?

Regards.

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #426 of 1,717
How great is the sound of the ESW10 directly from the headphone out of an iPod? Also, is the sound considerably better when using a portable amp plugged into the iPod? Some people seem to say that with or without an amp, the ESW10 sounds fantastic.

Nov 11, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #427 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How great is the sound of the ESW10 directly from the headphone out of an iPod? Also, is the sound considerably better when using a portable amp plugged into the iPod? Some people seem to say that with or without an amp, the ESW10 sounds fantastic.

They sound wonderful from my X5L or iAudio7 - I'm sure they sound great from ipods as well.

I sold my portable amp due to the fact portable amps aren't really portable (it doubles the weight of my portable rig, and almost triples the space needed) and they do improve quite a bit from my gilmore lite.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #428 of 1,717
Thanks for the comments. Since the ESW10 is a portable headphone, it seems to me that is was designed to plug directly into a portable audio player. But I still would like someone to post an A-B test. Maybe the ESW10 sounds better when plugged into a portable amp with the amp being connected to the line out of the media player.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #429 of 1,717
Hi,

I returned my iBasso D3 and Ultimate Link Silver Master LOD due to interference or RF around my area. The amp was originally for my Etymotic ER4P/S but RF was unbearable.

I paid twice the amount after returning them for the ESW10. Before I bought the D3 and LOD, I was deciding between the ESW9. The ESW9 works very well right from my iPod.

The second time I tried the ESW9 was when I returned the amp and LOD to the local stereo store. It was only logical of me that I have them changed to these but just as I was introduced to a demo pair of ESW10, I made a full payment for those immediately.

My first and priciest headphones after a few years with IEMs.

The ESW 10 is really what I see in a headphone that's close to my Etymotic preference, but something I can use over a more prolonged period without fatigue.I tried them without an amp and I was sold on the spot.

How often do you find something that excels both aesthetically and sonically?

I can have these without Amp which makes them very versatile and easy on the move. I can't imagine using them with an amp yet, but i'm sure they won't fail in that category.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #431 of 1,717
Hi,

I guess there is no harm trying them with an Amp from the store when I collect them. But that will on be earliest by the end of the month or early next.

If you do intend to get them, it is quite a safe buy IMO. In case you really don't like them, I'm sure you can still sell them at a reasonable price since they are limited and very much sought after.

Regards.

Nov 11, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #432 of 1,717
wow those are pretty!!!!

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #434 of 1,717
Guys, the EW10s do not need a portable amp. I've used them with my pico when using my laptop as a source, but enjoy them right from my ipod as well. Depending on the amp, I'm sure there will be differences to note, but they definitely do not require an amp to sound good.

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #435 of 1,717
I don't know why I didn't do this before, but I just looked at the sensitivity rating on the ESW10's. At 102db., they can definitely be plugged directly into the headphone out of an iPod and should sound great. I would like to know if it were plugged into an iQube, if there would be a noticeable difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back