Limited, wooden portable ATH-ESW10JPN arrives! (with pics)
Nov 9, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #406 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by gideonMorrison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have exactly the same thing, for some reason I refuse to believe that the 10s are worth the money in difference of sound quality compared to the 9s.
Also the quality of the phones...the plastic parts and the idea that the nice lacquer will get scratched easily...ouch.

Actually I was reading up on Urushi lacquer just a few moments ago and my understanding is that the lacquer coating should be extremely durable and scratch resistant, despite its high gloss. It also "matures" over time, and changes color. Maybe someone can confirm this as I'm not yet willing to test this theory haha.

My Source: http://www.stutler.cc/pens/wajima/urushi.html

Nov 9, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #407 of 1,717
Here is a link to some curves:

•£LOG

Google translation is your friend.

ESW9 is blue
ESW10JPN is red

img215.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #408 of 1,717
slwiser,
That graph is an exact measurement of what everyone here is saying they are hearing between the 9's and the 10's.

Damn, we're good.
smile_phones.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #410 of 1,717
Great post slwiser! From what I gathered through the translation of the blog, the bass response of the 9's are increased to compensate when the phones are brought outside a quiet environment. The detail in the treble range are evident in the 10's along with the slight decrease in the lower frequency around 80Hz and below. Most of 10's owners seem to agree to this along with an added soundstage. I think I can put to rest the desire to acquire a pair of 10's and look into exploring the realm of electrostats. But damn, those 10's are all to sweet lookin'! I love my 9's...I love my 9's...

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #411 of 1,717
I am just amazed at the positive comments everyone has to say about these headphones. I am getting closer and closer to purchasing them as my first and only headphone purchase (I guess you can say I am still a headphone virgin). They seem to be great for home and portable use. My question is for all of you who own the ESW10 "and" have other headphones as well. Is there a headphone, even full-sized, that you think is significantly better in comparison? What would they be and why?

Nov 9, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #412 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am just amazed at the positive comments everyone has to say about these headphones. I am getting closer and closer to purchasing them as my first and only headphone purchase (I guess you can say I am still a headphone virgin). They seem to be great for home and portable use. My question is for all of you who own the ESW10 "and" have other headphones as well. Is there a headphone, even full-sized, that you think is significantly better in comparison? What would they be and why?

well. I know that well-amped AD2000 is technically superior in terms of detail, transition, speed, impact and instrument separation. But ESW10s great balance of bass, mids and treble -without one aspect clouding over another - makes ESW9 great in just enjoying music.

speaking of which, I'm listening to Carmina Burana at the moment, and that thunderous kettle drums makes me giggle.

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #413 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well. I know that well-amped AD2000 is technically superior in terms of detail, transition, speed, impact and instrument separation. But ESW10s great balance of bass, mids and treble -without one aspect clouding over another - makes ESW9 great in just enjoying music.

speaking of which, I'm listening to Carmina Burana at the moment, and that thunderous kettle drums makes me giggle.

Thanks Red Master Plus. : ) I will check out the AD2000 but it is such a struggle trying to choose. It doesn't look like I would ever be able to use the AD2000 on the go, even with an iQube. Maybe the ESW10 is perfect because it sounds great right out of the headphone out of an iPod.

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #414 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Red Master Plus. : ) I will check out the AD2000 but it is such a struggle trying to choose. It doesn't look like I would ever be able to use the AD2000 on the go, even with an iQube. Maybe the ESW10 is perfect because it sounds great right out of the headphone out of an iPod.

yup. It does improve with amping though. I tried it out of my Gilmore lite, and it improved noticeably - slightly better instrument positioning, even tighter bass, etc. So I think you iQube will be fine
wink.gif

So, my question is (to people who have bought them): Was ESW10 worth the money solely for SQ? (aside from "limited" status, fancy wood, and the "king of portable cans" badge)

At this point. I would say - yes. It's a noticeable improvement over ESW10 - and these babies do rock and roll just right (which I haven't been able to do on ESW9) Not to mention classical. It's not a great value, but I don't regret it either.

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:10 AM Post #415 of 1,717
Quote:

It's not a great value, but I don't regret it either.

That largely depends on whether Audio-Technica comes up with a better headphone, or after it ran out of production they just continue offering the ESW9. If the latter happens, the value of the ESW10 may be even better used than new. In my opinion they won't invest more money in developing a luxury portable headphone, instead they will come up with more full-sized models.

Nov 9, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #416 of 1,717
Quote:

It's not a great value, but I don't regret it either.

me too, don't regret is putting it wrong though, loving them is more like it
tongue.gif

and they do hold their own against hd650/sr325i. different of course, but does not feel like a step down when I need isolation.

btw: was it this thread talking about the urushi lacquer? was reading up on it in the link, too bad it's 'only natural enemy' is UV light, so no sunbathing. luckily I live in a rainy country
tongue.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #417 of 1,717
So, after that frequency response, the upper midrange still seems too hidden, while the upper treble looks a bit too pronounced. Both things look less problematic than with the ESW9, but still exist.

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #419 of 1,717
I just got my ESW10 and have only played a couple of songs on them so far, so this is only an initial impression:

They sound very impressive from the headphone connector on my Alu Macbook. Definatly better then the HD650 from the same source. Better (more exact) bass was immediatly noticeable and the music sounded more alive.

When I connected the ESW10 to the Corda Move the sound immediatly improved significantly though. They do sound very good amped but it would be a stretch to say that they are better then the HD650 though. I don't think they are. Not yet anyway.

The mids seem more pronounced in ESW10 then in HD650. There is a clear difference in sound. I would say that ESW10 is more fun with rock music then HD650. More sharp in some ways, but I think HD650 is more neutral.

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #420 of 1,717
I'm such a loser!!! I just bought another pair after selling my first ESW10 after 3 days.

What can I say? I missed them and I knew I couldn't be happy knowing the ESW10 was out there laughing at me... Although I probably would have been happy with an ESW9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back