Limited, wooden portable ATH-ESW10JPN arrives! (with pics)
Nov 16, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #466 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O.K. I have been reading every comment about these headphones and everyone is waxing poetic about them. So here is a question: do you think that the ESW10's are the best headphones that Audio-Technica has ever produced?

nope.
L3000>W2002>W5000=AD2000>ESW9 from what I've experienced so far

Nov 16, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #468 of 1,717
Quote:

Thanks Red Master Plus. I can see why the L3000 would top but list but the W5000 you would put on top of the ESW10's as well?

yes, but different type of listening though. They're increbly detailed, as well as being quite neutral - I found them better at listening for classical - when I'm listening to music analytically. It's almost impossible to do that with ESW10, since you're always tapping your toes, and singing along. Very involving pair of cans.

Mind you, I heard W5000s with good amping (HA5000) and I'm not sure how ESW10 would measure up with great amping.

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #469 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
great to hear that you like them
wink.gif
They are indeed very well-rounded.

How are they compared to your D2000s?

I believe these ESW10 are better than stock D2000 with the ESW10 being more balanced, detailed and transparent. They are also probably slightly better than my re-cabled D2000 when they had the stock plastic cups, because the D2000 still lacked a little presence and detail in the mids that made then a little too laid back.

But, after adding the markl stuffed thicker earpads and some markl D2000 mahogany woodies yesterday it's a tight battle, but the edge goes to the D2000 I think. The D2000 have gained all the midrange detail and presence they were missing before, have a bigger soundstage and stronger bass than ESW10, are more comfortable than the ESW10, and isolate much better than ESW10 or D2000 with plastic cups. They also would cost about $700 to build another pair of D2000 just like these (if the phones alone are $200 on sale), so I hoped they'd sound a little better.

I have a 4-pin XLR plug on the D2000 and adapters for single ended and balanced amps, and when I run them balanced instead of single ended they just get even better. I ordered the woodies Monday, after spending 10 days with the loaner markl modded MD5000 DE (deluxe ed), and deciding they were clearly better than my D2000. The wood cups have dynamat on the inside; however, I did not do the dynamat on the driver of my D2000 and I get a lot more bass than the MD5000 DE or ESW10 (more like Edition 9 bass). The stuffed earpads and woodies helped with the soundstage and detail. I dare say I might now like my re-cabled woodied stuffed and balanced D2000 more than my Edition 9, sometimes.

But the ESW10JPN are definitely NOT mid-fi headphones, but are indeed true hi-fi headphones.

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #473 of 1,717
Quote:

O.K. I have been reading every comment about these headphones and everyone is waxing poetic about them. So here is a question: Do you think that the ESW10's are the best headphones that Audio-Technica has ever produced?

I hope people won't get confused thinking that the ESW9 or ESW10 are the mother of all headphones in absolute terms, or just another FOTM backed up by lots of fanboys.

I think that nobody is saying that this is the best headphone ever, but it is that "fit for purpose" quality that makes them so remarkable for many people. Add good sound and looks, limited edition status and there you have it...

To be honest, IMHO, the ESW9 (I can't talk about the ESW10 yet) is quite far from being in the same league than the big boys. That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy it a lot, specially being on the move so often, though.

But that's just my opinion. I have to admit that a friend of mine without much exposure to headphones came and listen to several dynamic cans and did prefer the ESW9 over PS1, L3000, Qualia and a few more. I'm not 100% sure if he end trying the R10s too. All of them quite well amped.

Different people, different tastes I guess...

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #474 of 1,717
^ I have to agree with HeadphoneAddict on few parts - especially that they do deserve hi-fi status. Even when compared to big boys.

ESW9 was little loosy in the bass, so it was bad fit with my music taste (mostly classical and rock). ESW10, on the other hand, does many genres so well.

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #475 of 1,717
Yes, of course. I wouldn't call them mid-fi either. I would place them somewhere close to the HD6xx, 701s and so on. It's just that I couldn't place them close to L3000, Qualias, R10, etc... This might be just stating the obvious but just in case new people read this and think these cans are incredibly amazing in absolute terms.

Cheers.

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #476 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, of course. I wouldn't call them mid-fi either. I would place them somewhere close to the HD6xx, 701s and so on. It's just that I couldn't place them close to L3000, Qualias, R10, etc... This might be just stating the obvious but just in case new people read this and think these cans are incredibly amazing in absolute terms.

Cheers.

I would say ESW10s are close to well-amped HD6XXs in terms of my preference. I don't like K701s anymore :S but that's just my preference.

ESW10s do compete with my AD2K though, which is quite impressive since I love my AD2Ks very much.

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #477 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say ESW10s are close to well-amped HD6XXs in terms of my preference. I don't like K701s anymore :S but that's just my preference.

ESW10s do compete with my AD2K though, which is quite impressive since I love my AD2Ks very much.

I have AD2000 shipping to me on Monday, so we'll see. No matter what, my re-cabled stuffed and woodied D2000 are enough to make a grown man giggle like school-girl
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #478 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have AD2000 shipping to me on Monday, so we'll see. No matter what, my re-cabled stuffed and woodied D2000 are enough to make a grown man giggle like school-girl
tongue.gif

try heavier classical, you'll find that ESW10 does that quite well
wink.gif
namely, carmina burana.

Nov 17, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #479 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cheers.

I agree. I'm thinking with the smaller supra-aural soundstage that they are closer to my Grado RS-1. I still prefer my re-cabled markl-woodied stuffed-pad D2000/D5000 over the ESW10JPN for reasons stated in a previous post yesterday, but those are not very portable at all.

I was going to bring my ATH-ANC7 and RS-1 on my trip to Hawaii this Christmas, but I might take the ANC7 and ESW10 instead, with no RS-1. Too bad these don't have noise canceling and isolation for plane rides. I thought about bringing the Edition 9, but they cost to much to replace is anything happens to them.

Nov 17, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #480 of 1,717
Yesterday I had an opportunity to listen to the ESW9 and the ESW10jpn side by side at the Tampa Meet. I used them in the context for which I would buy them for - Transportable Cans.

To this effect I used an iPod Classic filled w/ Apple Lossless files. Using an ALO Six Shooter or an SXC I fed the following amps:

1. SR71
2. SR71A
3. Xin Reference
4. iBasso D3
5. iBasso P3
6. MiniBox-E+
7. Zen Portable Amp

IMO the ESW10jpn have way too much treble energy. To the point of being fatiguing after 15-30 minutes of use. They are also lighter in weight and need more power to reach the same sound pressure level.

The bass on the ESW9 is deeper and bigger, although a tiny bit looser. IMO and based on the meet comparison there is no way I would spend twice as much on the ESW10jpn. I will be getting a pair of ESW9's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back