LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Dec 5, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #646 of 2,040
FRM is definitely the better mode to these ears also.

Dec 5, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #647 of 2,040

@gavin8r You guys should abandon even partial 3D printing altogether. Doesn't look quite ready for prime time. 
frown.gif

Dec 5, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #649 of 2,040
I am gonna wait for the silk screen to come in before I order mine. Shouldn't be too long! Just wanted to give a shout out to LH Labs customer service, particularly Stephanie. Been super super helpful and very pleasant to deal with. 

Got my V2+ infinity order lined up :)

Dec 5, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #650 of 2,040
I didn't get any pouch. It was just the GOv2+, USB A-microUSB cable, and the warranty card.

But alas, photos! Actually my unit isn't 100% complete as LH Labs e-mailed me saying that they didn't put the silkscreen printing on it.

I apologize if this was posted earlier in the thread, but can you tell us about the cable it came with? Is it the third Lightspeed cable listed here for $69 ? I have been trying to figure out if i am willing to pay that $69, or if I should get something else for cheaper that will actually be the length I want. I'm definitely going somewhere else for a cable to connect to my phone- .3 meters is just too long for a patch cable when it will be in the same pocket as my phone.
:

For the record, the picture is from here: https://support.lhlabs.com/support/discussions/topics/5000058275

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #653 of 2,040
@miceblue. Did you order the V2+ from the Stream campaign or the V2+ campaign?

I ordered it on the Geek Out v2 Indiegogo campaign page.

I apologize if this was posted earlier in the thread, but can you tell us about the cable it came with?

7-inch cable, 3.75-inches for the cable section itself (the rest being the connectors)

Dec 6, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #655 of 2,040
I still can't understand why they just didn't go 2.5 for balanced. There should be no ambiguity when it comes to potentially doing something that destroys gear.

I was an advocate on this setup from the every begining.

And besides there are tons of aftermarket support for balanced 2.5mm. 

Now they place those red thingy for protection.

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #657 of 2,040
So when will be the latest I can purchase the v2+ without having to reserve it first? I don't like playing a waiting game with my purchases.

Why don't you just keep an eye on the sales forum? That's what I do.

Dec 6, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #658 of 2,040

I was an advocate on this setup from the every begining.

And besides there are tons of aftermarket support for balanced 2.5mm. 

Now they place those red thingy for protection.

I actually like Sony's 4.4mm TRRRS connector better. Any time I even look at a 2.5mm TRRS plug very hard I feel like it's going to break. Those things are too small for long term use IMO. I wish people could work together on a royalty free stndard, like displayport in video, and just use that connection for 20 years. Sony's one even covers the potential for in-line remote functions, which TRRS doesn't. But, with Sony's other past proprietary efforts, they mostly stayed exactly that and never caught on anywhere.
Sony 4.4mm TRRRS

So unless LHL was willing to partner up with Sony on that, the 2.5mm certainly would have been better. Why add yet ANOTHER connector type? That's besides the issue of creating the possibility of putting a regular 3.5mm TRS connector into the UNLABELLED 3.5mm balanced slot...

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #659 of 2,040

I actually like Sony's 4.4mm TRRRS connector better. Any time I even look at a 2.5mm TRRS plug very hard I feel like it's going to break. Those things are too small for long term use IMO. I wish people could work together on a royalty free stndard, like displayport in video, and just use that connection for 20 years. Sony's one even covers the potential for in-line remote functions, which TRRS doesn't. But, with Sony's other past proprietary efforts, they mostly stayed exactly that and never caught on anywhere.
Sony 4.4mm TRRRS

So unless LHL was willing to partner up with Sony on that, the 2.5mm certainly would have been better. Why add yet ANOTHER connector type? That's besides the issue of creating the possibility of putting a regular 3.5mm TRS connector into the UNLABELLED 3.5mm balanced slot...

Yeah, the Sony TRRRS connectors are nice. Given that the unit had to be bigger than the regular V2 USB dongle-style units anyway to accommodate the battery, there would have been two things that would have been fantastic to have seen in the larger design: a Kobiconn connector for balanced output (instead of a 3.5mm TRRS) and a Apex Glacier-style stepped attenuator for volume control. They likely would have thickened the unit a little more, but would have provided substantial quality of life improvements. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #660 of 2,040
Peter of Double Helix Cables have personally vouched for the quality and construction of present day 2.5mm connectors (it was one in the older threads of LH Labs forum). The Sony 4.4 mm TRRS is too large for mobile use IMO and aftermarket support is almost close to none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back