LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Nov 27, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #616 of 2,040
I've been looking for a simple 3.5mm-3.5mm, 4 pole TRRS to 3 pole TRS, without a lot of success.
I am looking to use TRRS from my v2+ (supposed to arrive today!!) but also want to be able to use my iem directly from my Moto XPE phone when traveling light(er).

Apparently you have to be careful as the 4 pole wiring can be different (e.g. apple went their own way with stereo+mic), but I haven't dealt into that too deeply.
I'm getting new iem with balanced cables and have order a short adapter that does what I need from Moon Audio.  They have a bunch of options but will need to know what you are hooking up specifically to get the wiring right.  Best to call them, as I did. 

Nov 27, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #617 of 2,040
I am considering buying the V2+ or  V2.

I have the Sennheiser HD-650 and IE-800.

I am streaming Music by subsribing to COLHD (ClassicsOnlineHD - Lossless only, with many excellent 96/24 HD Music) and also Tidal FLAC.

(Interestingly COLHD playback is markedly better than Tidal, even when playing back the same CD Lossless - independent of the Tranfer ( WIN10 PC vs. NEXUS7 Android6 )  and of the DACs.  Also interestingly I experience a markedly improved SQ with Anroid6.0 over Lollipop).

I am listening almost exclusively at bedtime, no need for real mobile usage. I consider using the V2 (not the V2+) 

Now the advantages of V2 over V2+: 
a. With a powered Source (Y-OTG with Charger/PowerBank or alternatively a USB HUB) I would need only a little more cable, but the both should be otherwise functionally equal.
b. V2 would be now also  150 $  cheaper than the v2+.

Advantages of V2+ would be:

1. Possibly more steady, better quality Power supply from built-in battery (no 50Hz buzz to fear).  
2. V2+ is listed by LHLABs with slightly better specs (3 db better SNR) - which could be an error since in the user's manual it is the same as V2.
3. As I can read it, battery can be charged while playback, so no disadvantage to simple V2 when playing back from Tablet/Powered USB Hub

Considering the Infinity version a little confusing Text about V2+ Infinity,  

From the V2+ "User Manual":
Additional Digital Filter Mode: Geek Out V2+ Infinity utilizes a SSM filter for streaming services such as Tidal, Pandora and Spotify.

What can SSM do with a lossless audio stream better? Or is something only to smooth out some lossy MP3/AAC/OGG artefacts?

Or has it something to do with buffering - is streaming somehow limited with genuine V2/V2+ without the Infinity and SSM?

Thx. for Your thoughts/answers.

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #618 of 2,040
  I've been looking for a simple 3.5mm-3.5mm, 4 pole TRRS to 3 pole TRS, without a lot of success.
I am looking to use TRRS from my v2+ (supposed to arrive today!!) but also want to be able to use my iem directly from my Moto XPE phone when traveling light(er).

Apparently you have to be careful as the 4 pole wiring can be different (e.g. apple went their own way with stereo+mic), but I haven't dealt into that too deeply.
I'm getting new iem with balanced cables and have order a short adapter that does what I need from Moon Audio.  They have a bunch of options but will need to know what you are hooking up specifically to get the wiring right.  Best to call them, as I did. 

You can't actually take a TRS-ended HP plug and adapt it to a TRRS amp - it will risk shorting out the amp. Not exactly sure why you'd want to anyway with the V2+ since it has both 3.5mm TRS and 3.5mm TRRS - no need for an adapter if you want to plug in a 3.5mm TRS HP. 

If you're looking to take a 3.5mm TRRS HP and then also use it with amps/DAP's that are 3.5mm TRS you should be able to contact some of the custom makers like Norne and Luna Shops to make you such a plug. Also try looking on eBay. I had Luna shops make me a 3.5mm TRRS to 2.5mm TRRS adapter so I can listen to the balanced output of the V2+ using my CIEMs with an AK-format 2.5mm TRRS plug.

Cheers 

Cheers 

Nov 28, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #619 of 2,040
  You can't actually take a TRS-ended HP plug and adapt it to a TRRS amp - it will risk shorting out the amp. Not exactly sure why you'd want to anyway with the V2+ since it has both 3.5mm TRS and 3.5mm TRRS - no need for an adapter if you want to plug in a 3.5mm TRS HP. 

If you're looking to take a 3.5mm TRRS HP and then also use it with amps/DAP's that are 3.5mm TRS you should be able to contact some of the custom makers like Norne and Luna Shops to make you such a plug. Also try looking on eBay. I had Luna shops make me a 3.5mm TRRS to 2.5mm TRRS adapter so I can listen to the balanced output of the V2+ using my CIEMs with an AK-format 2.5mm TRRS plug.

Cheers 

Cheers 

Maybe i haven't understood well (french speaker) but just to precise that the single 3.5mm jack is only 100mw.....if you want the 1000mw you need to have balanced headphones

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #620 of 2,040

thanks for the reply.
maybe i wasn't clear but i'm looking at the inverse problem, taking a TRSS-end HP plug and adapting it to a TRS amp.
that way i can use my balanced iem with my MotoXPE cellphone when I don't have my v2+ with me.

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #621 of 2,040
  Looks like the dam has broken.

Got an email that my V2+ shipped yesterday and is on its way eastbound.
USPS tracking says Friday delivery.

gs1000.gif

my apologies folks, particularly those breathless awaiting pix and assessments of the sound.
if i had read the email more carefully........

the email said my order had been shipped, and  since the v2+ was my only outstanding  order with LHLabs, i assumed electronics were on the way.
however, what i received (and what the email  said further down) was that the neoprene pouch for the V2+ had been shipped.
its a nice pouch but i don't think i'll post any pix.

sorry if i got your hopes up..............i do hope to receive a unit soon though, but no date has been shared with me.

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #624 of 2,040
thanks for the reply.
maybe i wasn't clear but i'm looking at the inverse problem, taking a TRSS-end HP plug and adapting it to a TRS amp.
that way i can use my balanced iem with my MotoXPE cellphone when I don't have my v2+ with me.

That's much easier then! I'd suggest Norne or Luna Shops. Cheers

Nov 30, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #625 of 2,040
I'm in a bit of a muddle here. Would it actually be possible to connect a Fiio 2nd Gen player to the V2+? I pretty much like the X3II UI, and it'd make a nice affordable portable digital source, with the only problem being the 4-pole 3.5mm mini coax being incompatible with the micro-USB input for the V2+.

Is there any way to circumvent this problem, or any other possible viable alternatives for a digital source that isn't an android phone?

Nov 30, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #626 of 2,040
The V2 is ONLY designed for USB connections, complying with USB protocols. Its an asynchronous USB input and is carefully designed to reduce jitter etc. It has no other input method. Technically, it interfaces through a micro-USB port, but adapters can be used to connect to 'full' USB outputs (eg from laptops, PCs etc.). There's also an Apple Camera-Connection-Kit (called a CCK) that can b used to connect to apple's lightning port. 

So, all in all, it has a good range of modern portable USB connectivity.

But it doesn't have analogue in, or SPDIF, or I2S or HDMI or twisted pair, or ethernet, or LEDs for morse code.
It's in the spec, on page 1.
Regards,

Nov 30, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #627 of 2,040
Nov 30, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #628 of 2,040

Yes, I did a volume-matched sighted comparison between these two, posted feedback in the Mojo thread from memory. Another person did the same and drew the exact same conclusions. On mobile now, but will try and dig up a link for you later. Basically the Mojo sounds better, but there is precious little in it (and we both found the bass on the GOV2 a little enjoyable on some tracks). My test was using the FRM filter, which is noticeably better than the default TCM filter to my ears.

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #629 of 2,040
Yes, I did a volume-matched sighted comparison between these two, posted feedback in the Mojo thread from memory. Another person did the same and drew the exact same conclusions. On mobile now, but will try and dig up a link for you later. Basically the Mojo sounds better, but there is precious little in it (and we both found the bass on the GOV2 a little enjoyable on some tracks). My test was using the FRM filter, which is noticeably better than the default TCM filter to my ears.

Are you comparing the GOV2+ & Mojo as DAC only, or as DAC / Amp?

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #630 of 2,040

Users who are viewing this thread

Back