LG V30
Oct 30, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #4,337 of 6,140
The V20 had different specs per region and the US & EU didn't get ones with the QUAD DAC's (Asian markets did). (unless I'm getting mixed up with the G series)

As far as I know, the V20's come standard with Quad DAC for all markets.
They did have different specs (e.g. storage) but the DAC was {UPDATE: Actually I meant to write not among...] among those differences for the V30 (except for the tuning). As you indicated, you may be thinking of the G6; you got the quad dac in the Korea but not in US (where you did get wireless charging instead).

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #4,338 of 6,140
Yeah, I dunno on the V30 for sure, but for the V20 it seems there's a difference b/t the U.S. version and the Asian version. It seems easier to find info on this for the V20 than for the V30. But if there was a difference for the V20, then I don't see why there wouldn't be for the V30.

With regards to the G6, the difference there is the U.S. version did NOT get the Quad DAC at all vs. Asian and prob EU versions. I know this b/c my mom has the U.S. (T-Mobile) locked G6, and there are NO settings listed regarding the Quad DAC. However, as a consolation, the U.S. G6 got something the int'l versions didn't..............wireless charging. Feel free to look that up.

Oct 30, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #4,339 of 6,140
Have Tidal Hi-Fi? My current favorite is probably a new album by Toadface 'Bugs for Breakfast' and the tune "Courage" and "Chrome". The whole album is immaculately produced & will test clarity, spacial imaging, percussive detail and especially lowwwwwwww BASS. Get your best headphones and it find it on a lossless streaming service and see what this extraordinary phone is really capable of. So far the V40 can't hold a candle to the stunning performance i get listening to this record on the V30/Pioneer SE1 combo. That phone just has audio prowess firing on all cylinders.

Oct 30, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #4,340 of 6,140
I'm so sad to read all these negative reports about the SQ of the V40. There are too many reports for this to be an isolated issue.
I'm even sadder to read about how many of my headfi buddies are (or are considering) throwing in the towel and going the Bluetooth route.
To my ears, the best BT experience I've yet heard (LDAC from the V30 to the Shanling M0) still doesn't compete with a wired connection.
BT just isn't comparable:

https://www.androidauthority.com/bluetooth-headphones-quality-915637/

But at this stage, I seem to be a lone voice crying in the dark :frowning2:
Here's the really happy news though :) One day, Bluetooth is going to be perfectly adequate for all of us...

goingdeaf.jpg

Oct 30, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #4,342 of 6,140
I'm so sad to read all these negative reports about the SQ of the V40. There are too many reports for this to be an isolated issue.
I'm even sadder to read about how many of my headfi buddies are (or are considering) throwing in the towel and going the Bluetooth route.
To my ears, the best BT experience I've yet heard (LDAC from the V30 to the Shanling M0) still doesn't compete with a wired connection.
BT just isn't comparable:

https://www.androidauthority.com/bluetooth-headphones-quality-915637/

But at this stage, I seem to be a lone voice crying in the dark :frowning2:
Here's the really happy news though :) One day, Bluetooth is going to be perfectly adequate for all of us...

Yeah but that article csg is for using BT headphones. The Shanling M0 has the same Sabre DAC as the V30, and the connection from it to headphones I guess can be wireless, but I used it semi-wirelessly where I connected my phone to it via BT LDAC (990 kbps setting, aka the best) and the M0 to my Beyers DT 1770 Pro via cable. I could NOT tell a difference. This is the way I'm personally moving forward. But b/c the the M0 couldn't drive my 250 ohm headphones AS much as I'd like (only on my quieter albums was it an issue), I had to return it. And now I'm looking at the iFi xDSD which uses TI's luxury line of DACs, the Burr Brown. People in the xDSD thread have told me that even though the xDSD doesn't have LDAC (yet), they still claim it sounds better with AAC or even the lower aptX than like the M0 or comparable devices do with LDAC. So THAT caught my interest, and I may be trying one out very soon.

I've also been campaigning (has have others in that thread) for iFi to add LDAC to the xDSD via a firmware update. They said they were considering it, so hopefully it happens sooner than later.

The fact is, the headphone jack is going away. And yeah that sux, but I believe the semi-wireless approach is AS good and also offers an added degree of convenience as no cable from phone to have to deal with and the extra bit of weight it adds too. That's just my two cents. lol :L3000:

Oct 30, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #4,343 of 6,140

Never in a million years--I do have some Kickstarter bluetooth ORA graphene headphones coming to complement the wired ones but I'm 50 and hear to at least 15k.

Speaking of...there is sale on the meticulously made in Japan 'Pioneer SE-Master1' headphones which are normally $2500, going at Best Buy/Magnolia and B&H for about $1800. You know the ones unjustly panned by some big audio names...ahem Tyll. They were supposed to be a limited edition but got so popular they expanded production. These headphones are a dream match for the V30 as i found out and if you are in the market for full size cans of that cost caliber, I strongly suggest you try them out from a returnable source. Many people actually prefer them to the $4k (original) Utopia--and I am just blown away every time i listen with the amazing clarity and the best bass you'll find in an open back headphone.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #4,346 of 6,140
I have the V40 and it sounds great to me with HD598.

I used to have the HD598 and HD 598SE (which I think is now called the 598SR) as well. Both sounded great. Only one I didn't care for was the closed-back version, the 598 CS. Was much cheaper ($99), but I didn't keep it for long. The vocals sounded really NARROW "down the center" vs. like the AKG K550, if that makes any sense.

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #4,347 of 6,140
I used to have the HD598 and HD 598SE (which I think is now called the 598SR) as well. Both sounded great. Only one I didn't care for was the closed-back version, the 598 CS. Was much cheaper ($99), but I didn't keep it for long. The vocals sounded really NARROW "down the center" vs. like the AKG K550, if that makes any sense.

I actually own the SE model. The closed back model has its benefits but I love the wide sound stage of the open models. May some day get the HD700s.

Oct 31, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #4,349 of 6,140
I actually own the SE model. The closed back model has its benefits but I love the wide sound stage of the open models. May some day get the HD700s.

Nice bob!

Yeah but I dunno, TBH, when I compared the SE to the AKG K550, I felt like the K550 sounded just AS wide as the 598. Still, the 598 & 598 SE (now SR) have a really nice design that I think stands out. I initially felt the clamp was too hard on the 598 I tried, but when I later auditioned the 598 SE, I found that the secret to resolving that was to angle the ear cups in a certain way (either top side in, or out, can't remember now, but I think out), and then it fit just fine.

Yeah I've heard great things about the 600-800 series Senns.

My issue is I travel by train often with my headphones, so open-back doesn't work for me, despite some great options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back