LG V30
Oct 29, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #4,322 of 6,140
I'm sure it's the Meridian tuning--and it definitely is global. I read somewhere they were going for a "live" lean sound and i would say they got it. I personally prefer a lusher more robust sound like i get with my V30. And yes...neither of the big dog audio apps are fully ready for the V40 so I'm trying to convert my test ISO files so i can play it on the stock player. One good thing is that the stock player appears to finally not chop off the first second of the song with the V40 version!

The only good 'feature' they added was volume normalization as i have some wide-ranging audio levels between selections, but even that may be compromising the sound. I, as do likely most audiophiles, listen to everything flat and in bitperfect mode so i dont need all that superfluous garbage.

Currently 'burning it in' through tonight with an endless Beatles loop so i'll try again on Tuesday. And oh yeah...this has a crazy camera system and beefed up speaker too doesn't it--haven't in touched those yet as it just HAS to sound as good though HP as the V30+ to my ears (I'm even losing 64gb storage) or it's a no-go.

Oops...I was mistaken...the stock player once again does chop of the start of many songs. Great. And man I just can't get into the V40 sound...for instance it almost sounds as if UAPP is playing through Android and not hi-rez mode (which who knows may be even though it says DSD pure). A perfect example is Beatles 'Mother Nature's Son'. On the V30, there are so many nuances in that song like the clip-clap percussion mid-way through, and the quite noticeable big band bass honk in the far right channel that are just blurred and don't have near the same imaging with the V40 sound at the same settings. I also think as some people have noted that the V30 plays louder.

And i hate to rain on people's parade, but i hear some testing being done with Sennheiser 598 or 600s--those are just not resolving enough to really hear the difference as i have HD6xx's myself...but my prized Pioneer Master-SE1 certainly are--they relay every single nuance of the music (for better or worse depending on the recording).

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #4,323 of 6,140
Oops...I was mistaken...the stock player once again does chop of the start of many songs. Great. And man I just can't get into the V40 sound...for instance it almost sounds as if UAPP is playing through Android and not hi-rez mode (which who knows may be even though it says DSD pure). A perfect example is Beatles 'Mother Nature's Son'. On the V30, there are so many nuances in that song like the clip-clap percussion mid-way through, and the quite noticeable big band bass honk in the far right channel that are just blurred and don't have near the same imaging with the V40 sound at the same settings. I also think as some people have noted that the V30 plays louder.

And i hate to rain on people's parade, but i hear some testing being done with Sennheiser 598 or 600s--those are just not resolving enough to really hear the difference as i have HD6xx's myself...but my prized Pioneer Master-SE1 certainly are--they relay every single nuance of the music (for better or worse depending on the recording).

That sucks Scott. But thanks for letting us know where the V30 stands vs. the V40. For now I'll be keeping my V30 that I've had for a year b/c even though both the new Sony Xperia XZ3 and about-to-be-released OnePlus 6T have a lot of great features, neither is quite enough for me. So we'll see what happens next year, but I don't think I'll be buying another LG. The camera is under par too. So for audio I'm considering these "semi-wireless" options like the Shanling M0 or else more likely the iFi xDSD which sound as good as wired, and are portable too (I verified this on the M0 myself). Then I won't have to be tied only to phones with great audio and a headphone jack. It's just getting too difficult to find phones that have a headphone jack AND great audio.

Oct 29, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #4,324 of 6,140
That sucks Scott. But thanks for letting us know where the V30 stands vs. the V40. For now I'll be keeping my V30 that I've had for a year b/c even though both the new Sony Xperia XZ3 and about-to-be-released OnePlus 6T have a lot of great features, neither is quite enough for me. So we'll see what happens next year, but I don't think I'll be buying another LG. The camera is under par too. So for audio I'm considering these "semi-wireless" options like the Shanling M0 or else more likely the iFi xDSD which sound as good as wired, and are portable too (I verified this on the M0 myself). Then I won't have to be tied only to phones with great audio and a headphone jack. It's just getting too difficult to find phones that have a headphone jack AND great audio.
Well, you do have the LG V35 and G7, both of which are decent phones and have similar sound to V30. I'm enjoying my G7...

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #4,325 of 6,140
Well, you do have the LG V35 and G7, both of which are decent phones and have similar sound to V30. I'm enjoying my G7s...

Yeah that's true too, though I was focusing on brand new and/or upcoming phones. But yeah, either of those would do, although the V35 is an AT&T-exclusive I thought? I have T-Mobile. I know someone who has the G7 and is very happy with it though too.

Oct 30, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #4,326 of 6,140
Amazon Prime has the V35 for $699. Thought I remember seeing it for $649. It's unlocked for all US networks.

The price will drop probably later on.

Oct 30, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #4,327 of 6,140
The G7 sounds damn good with my Shure KSE1200. Of course having the shure's external amp probably doesn't hurt. MQA files sound really good with the G7 and UAPP/Tidal - comparable to my hi-res files. I don't think it gets any better than this with a smartphone...

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #4,329 of 6,140
Amazon Prime has the V35 for $699. Thought I remember seeing it for $649. It's unlocked for all US networks.

The price will drop probably later on.

Oh ok. Cool. I guess it was just that AT&T had their own "exclusive version" of it on top of the unlocked one it seems.
Yep...G7 sounds good; previously using a V30

Kewl. Do you hear a difference at all?

Also, do you have the int'l V30 or U.S. version that WASN'T tuned by B&O?

Oct 30, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #4,330 of 6,140
Oh ok. Cool. I guess it was just that AT&T had their own "exclusive version" of it on top of the unlocked one it seems.

Kewl. Do you hear a difference at all?

Also, do you have the int'l V30 or U.S. version that WASN'T tuned by B&O?

What makes you so sure the US version is different to the Int version? They probably dropped the branding so they didn't have to include the headphones in the US version. I doubt there are any actual differences to the DAC's tuning.

Oct 30, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #4,331 of 6,140
What makes you so sure the US version is different to the Int version? They probably dropped the branding so they didn't have to include the headphones in the US version. I doubt there are any actual differences to the DAC's tuning.

Hey Marmite,

I'd read somewhere that the U.S. V20 didn't get tuned by B&O because LG didn't wanna pay the extra money to have it "certified" for the U.S. too. I believe others on Head-Fi have mentioned it too. So I just assumed the same went for the V30.

I think that's the REAL reason why the U.S. version doesn't have the B&O logo on it.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #4,332 of 6,140
Hello guys, I see some of you enjoying V30 with +1000$ IEMs.

What about mid-fi like Ibasso IT04?

I already have IT01 but I'm curious about the IT04.

Anyone here has it?

What I Like about IT01 is its efficiency, it's not necessary to trigger higher impedance mode to fully enjoy them.

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #4,333 of 6,140
Hey Marmite,

I'd read somewhere that the U.S. V20 didn't get tuned by B&O because LG didn't wanna pay the extra money to have it "certified" for the U.S. too. I believe others on Head-Fi have mentioned it too. So I just assumed the same went for the V30.

I think that's the REAL reason why the U.S. version doesn't have the B&O logo on it.

Sounds like b******s to me. I'd be willing to wager they sound identical.

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #4,334 of 6,140

Here's what I could find on it:

irvine752

"I have to disagree. I have two V20 models, one with B&O tuning (F800L) & a carrier variant without tuning (H910). The difference is very clear & pronounced. They both have different sound profiles/signatures. There is no extra B&O software on the phone you can point to, the tuning is all done internally. They literally took a good phone, & turned it into something amazing. Also keep in mind that good hardware alone is not enough. Good hardware needs (expert) fine tuning to take advantage of it's full potential (ie perform better). The B&O model was reviewed here: http://www.ubergizmo.com/articles/lg...-how-it-works/

Just to put this out there...the B&O brand name is world renowned & carries a lot of weight. Their products are typically top of the line & only fitted in top of the line cars. They have been in the audio engineering business for over 92 years. They just don't kindly put their name on anything just for fun. Only a few can compete, maybe the likes of Bowers & Wilkins."

Also this post on 2nd page:

mhw100

"Tested the 996us vs 990ds for a few days with the same songs. Im no expert but i would say that the 990 with the b&o has a warmer less strident sound. Its sure not a night and day difference."

There's also this post off XDA as well.

Seems pretty convincing to me.

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #4,335 of 6,140

The V20 had different specs per region and the US & EU didn't get ones with the QUAD DAC's (Asian markets did). (unless I'm getting mixed up with the G series)

As far as I know the V30's come standard with Quad DAC for all markets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back