LG V30
Oct 23, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #4,291 of 6,140
I have been using this (lgv30) since release.

So far, to be honest, it sucks. (using hifiman with resistance jacks) 70,100,200 ohms.

It just does not have enough juice.

After giving up for about half a year, just few days ago, i accidentally found out a way to overdrive the volume.

I have only tried it twice so far and this is how i did it:

1. Plug in headphone and turn off hifi dac
2. Put volume to max (max is still soft)
3. Unplug and plug a higher ohm headphone or with resistance
4. Max the volume again (even softer)
5. Switch on hifi dac and increase the volume to max (soft volume still)
6. Unplug the resistance or high ohm headphone
7. Plug in normal headphone (max is unbearable now)

Oct 23, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #4,292 of 6,140
I have been using this (lgv30) since release.

So far, to be honest, it sucks. (using hifiman with resistance jacks) 70,100,200 ohms.

It just does not have enough juice.

After giving up for about half a year, just few days ago, i accidentally found out a way to overdrive the volume.

I have only tried it twice so far and this is how i did it:

1. Plug in headphone and turn off hifi dac
2. Put volume to max (max is still soft)
3. Unplug and plug a higher ohm headphone or with resistance
4. Max the volume again (even softer)
5. Switch on hifi dac and increase the volume to max (soft volume still)
6. Unplug the resistance or high ohm headphone
7. Plug in normal headphone (max is unbearable now)

Maybe your stance would change if you used better/more compatible headphones with it?

Oct 23, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #4,293 of 6,140
Here's another little tid bit I forgot to mention - Music sounds much better using the stock LG music player on the 40 than it did on the 30 for whatever reason. With the stock player, music gets much louder than it did on the 30. So I don't know, it's strange. Maybe I should try usb audio player pro. I'm hoping after some of the experts on here get their hands on the 40, we can start another dedicated thread like the V30 tips and tricks thread. My problem could be Neutron I reckon?
Interesting. I'd be interested to read what happens if you do try UAPP. UAPP makes Normal mode much louder, it's like activating Aux mode (does the same for BT, my Nuforce work-out iems get scary loud now). Does Neutron do the same?
Since the stock app is so much better, maybe some software will benefit from a similar upgrade and others won't.

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #4,294 of 6,140
Maybe your stance would change if you used better/more compatible headphones with it?

Hmm... It is yes and no. I think the volume override is actually tricking the lg v30 to output at maximum power.

I am also using it on my oriolus iem but i need resistance jack.

The output is more stable and the loudness equalization is better.

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #4,297 of 6,140
Whoever uses external DAC / AMP. FiiO Q5 If I set the UAPP / Hiby program bitperfect and it works, even DSD is decoded native (dsd is on the amplifier). But in this case, Lg's own player / Tidal / Poweramp has no USB audio the amplifier. What can this be?
Juan Bagnell (aka Mr LG) just did a rather thorough audio review of the V40 and addressed a few of the controversies--including direct V30 & V40 comparisons. It's only on Patreon though, so it will cost all of $1 to see what he found--well worth it.
https://www.patreon.com/SomeGadgetGuy/posts
------------
GadgetGuy ... :triportsad:...Business is a business. But..Then you have to pay for the show. How can I call her? Ahem ..

Oct 23, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #4,298 of 6,140
Here's another little tid bit I forgot to mention - Music sounds much better using the stock LG music player on the 40 than it did on the 30 for whatever reason. With the stock player, music gets much louder than it did on the 30. So I don't know, it's strange. Maybe I should try usb audio player pro. I'm hoping after some of the experts on here get their hands on the 40, we can start another dedicated thread like the V30 tips and tricks thread. My problem could be Neutron I reckon?
I'd be very cautious about judging the V40 based on SQ comparisons via Neutron (or any 3rd party app). It took a while before Neutron and UAPP worked correctly for the V30. They'll likely need some API tweaks for the V40 and that won't happen until the devs get some log files - either from one of us, or from them directly getting their hands on a V40.

Oct 23, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #4,299 of 6,140
Interesting. I'd be interested to read what happens if you do try UAPP. UAPP makes Normal mode much louder, it's like activating Aux mode (does the same for BT, my Nuforce work-out iems get scary loud now). Does Neutron do the same?
Since the stock app is so much better, maybe some software will benefit from a similar upgrade and others won't.
Over on the 40 thread, another user reported UAPP is not working with the phone as of yet

Oct 23, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #4,300 of 6,140
I'd be very cautious about judging the V40 based on SQ comparisons via Neutron (or any 3rd party app). It took a while before Neutron and UAPP worked correctly for the V30. They'll likely need some API tweaks for the V40 and that won't happen until the devs get some log files - either from one of us, or from them directly getting their hands on a V40.
Good to know. That being said, I can still here definitive differences using the stock player with both phones

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #4,301 of 6,140
Hmm... It is yes and no. I think the volume override is actually tricking the lg v30 to output at maximum power.

I am also using it on my oriolus iem but i need resistance jack.

The output is more stable and the loudness equalization is better.

What headphones do you use that you feel the LG V30 can't drive properly, and what is their impedance? I have the 250 ohm Beyer DT 1770 Pro, and I feel the V30 drives them like a champ, even on my quieter Hi-Res albums like Fleetwood Mac's "white album" (aka 1975 debut with Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham just joining). It was mastered at a lower volume on purpose.

Oct 23, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #4,302 of 6,140
Neutron definitely gives me more volume over the stock player. Playing with the speaker time alignment, compressor and tempo and pitch can liven things up as well. Enabling 64 bit processing works nicely as well

Oct 24, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #4,303 of 6,140
I've got a question about LG V30 Bluetooth connectivity - Do you know whether the V30 can connect to an external Bluetooth Transmitter, and play music being streamed _to_ the phone?

I've got a BlitzWolf BW-BR4 - Bluetooth V5.0 aptX HD Transmitter/Receiver - and with the BW-BR4 in Transmit mode, my V30 doesn't see / won't connect to it.

Oct 24, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #4,304 of 6,140
I've got a question about LG V30 Bluetooth connectivity - Do you know whether the V30 can connect to an external Bluetooth Transmitter, and play music being streamed _to_ the phone?

I've got a BlitzWolf BW-BR4 - Bluetooth V5.0 aptX HD Transmitter/Receiver - and with the BW-BR4 in Transmit mode, my V30 doesn't see / won't connect to it.
My understanding is that the receiver chip is the same as the emitter one, at least in recent BT chips. See the Sony DAPs which recently received an upgraded firmware unlocking the BT receiver ability. However I think this additional feature is not just dormant and waiting to be activated, I’m pretty sure the brands have to pay Qualcomm to use it. Acoustic Research advertizes the bi-directional BT capability of their DAPs and it remains a true rarity, Sony are the only ones I know of to now support this too. So unless LG suddenly decide to pay for it, or a new version of Android includes it by default like Oreo did for LDAC, I’m not too optimistic about this feature (although it would be nice to have).

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #4,305 of 6,140
My V30 is rooted, and running LineageOS. Installing Android 8.1 did give it the BT LDAC Transmit capability (which works well with my ES100 and M0) - but I was hoping that it would also have BT aptX Receive capability, so I can stream TV and music from my home theater system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back