LG V30
Oct 19, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #4,261 of 6,140
So I ordered a Mojo and had it in the house for a few days.

I wanted an upgrade from my current dacs/amps - a Sony PHA-1 and a DFR. I’d auditioned Ifi’s micro iDSD BL and Nano BL, an Astell&Kern Acro 1000, and the Fostex HP-A4, with the full-size Final Audio Pandora Hope VI and briefly with the IMR R1 iems. Mojo was a clear winner for me at the time, far away from the A&K and the Nano BL, and slightly more musical/pleasant than the iDSD and the Fostex. Also I enjoy reading Rob Watts, the dude definitely knows his sh!t.

I’ve more extensively, and in the quiet of my home, A/B’d the Mojo vs the PHA-1, the DFR and the V30.
The Mojo made me realize what a stressful listen the DFR is. Less coherent too. It’s still pretty miraculous for its size, but doesn’t satisfy on a desktop.
The PHA-1 is better, pretty excellent actually, slightly more aggressive than Chord’s device, less smooth in the treble but bass presence is great. It’s on the Mojo’s doorstep.
But the V30, man... It’s just as competent as the Mojo for me. Not *98% of the way there which is good enough because it’s more practical*, not great *for a phone*, not *trading blows and losing honorably*, plainly 100% as good as the Mojo. I thought I heard a new detail on the Mojo, then not only found it with the V30 but with improved texture (not an effect of “noise floor modulation” either, when a string sounds more like a string you can hear it); turns out these two excellent DACs were taking turns teaching me to listen better.

Now I am aware the Mojo holds more power, I just don’t need it. And the V30 decodes MQA, which the Mojo doesn't; I am emphatically not a believer in MQA, but I do believe the amount of evidence pointing to their encoding better masters, and Tidal has become my primary library.

UAPP is a must though, otherwise it’s just not the same. With it the V30 is at the level of high-end DAPs easily.

I had my wife demo the Mojo vs the V30, the PHA-1A and a recent iPad. Trading sheer technical proficiency for familiarity, she used her Kef M500, an unsung hero of sub-$300 hi-fi with plenty of scaling ability for high-end sources. She’s classically trained, more of a high-level listener, by which I mean she doesn’t get bogged down in audiophile technicalities and jargon but pays attention to how emotionally connected with the music she feels, and what undesirable characteristics prevent that connection. To her the iPad sounded awful, the PHA-1A fine but a tad harsh and unengaging, and the Mojo competent but dull. The V30 was her runaway winner!

I too ultimately feel like the Mojo is that boring boy in school who gets good grades, but why would you want to be his friend? The V30’s tuning makes it a more interesting and involving source for me.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #4,262 of 6,140
I see some of you have recently mentioned the HD650s, which is a coincidence as my Massdrop HD6XXs eventually turned up a couple of days ago.

Straight away, their treatment of vocals was impressive but they are suffering from the typical pre-burn in state of being closed in. My DT990s sing in comparison. I also tried powering them with my Topping D3 and they sounded dull and lifeless.

I have put them on a 600 hour burn in regime, so will hold back on passing judgement until a month or so has passed, but I'm looking forward to seeing what these puppies can deliver with my V30.

Oct 20, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #4,264 of 6,140
Can I ask a few questions:
Are any of you using this as a DAP only? What sort of battery life did you get?
Any problem running Tidal offline?
--------------------
I use DAP as well (but also for external FiiO Q5 usb / UAPP)
No problem with Offline Tidal download / playback, it works.
I do not use Tidal's own player. Because UAPP (V4) uses better high-speed driver in its bitperfect mode (no gain / EQ). Can encode DsD in DoP and .. MQA in full resolution !! This is only known by the LG V30.
(to understand usb audio player pro), you can use internal hardware, not just connected external DACs)

http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/hires-audio-driver
(Tidal and the internal storage can be selected with the SD card for offline download
Unfortunately, UAPP does not use offline streaming because of copyright protection)

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #4,265 of 6,140
So I ordered a Mojo and had it in the house for a few days...

I hear you. Made similar comments re the Mojo vs V30 a while back in this thread; since the arrival of the LG I rarely ever dig the Mojo out. The fact it operates with a shortish battery life, coupled with having to faff around with additional cables is annoyingly inconvenient when you can just plug your 'phones straight into the V30 and enjoy music right away. The Mojo still has a lot to offer but the only time I use it now is if my phone is out of battery. At home I plug in to my Dangerous Source, and at out and about it's the V30, so Mr Mojo just doesn't fit in. At one point I did have it fulfilling the DAC duties between my TV and speakers, but once again it's battery operation got in the way of that being a long-term solution.

Oct 20, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #4,266 of 6,140
So the question now is: where would you guys advise me to go from here if I still hope for a desktop upgrade? Power is not so much a concern at this point, I’m looking for something with great harmonics more than sheer accuracy. I listen to metal and electronic music a lot but also folky stuff so it’s not easy to point out exactly what I need. The Sony sound I like usually. Well there’s the TA-ZH1ES. Quite a bit more expensive than the Mojo and bulky too though. Any other ideas? Nuprime DAC-10H perhaps? Fostex HP-A8C MkII? Really interested in yall’s input, at whatever price point you feel starts to make a meaningful difference vs the V30.

Totally expecting some of you to answer “Mojo” :beyersmile:

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #4,267 of 6,140
So the question now is: where would you guys advise me to go from here if I still hope for a desktop upgrade? Power is not so much a concern at this point, I’m looking for something with great harmonics more than sheer accuracy. I listen to metal and electronic music a lot but also folky stuff so it’s not easy to point out exactly what I need. The Sony sound I like usually. Well there’s the TA-ZH1ES. Quite a bit more expensive than the Mojo and bulky too though. Any other ideas? Nuprime DAC-10H perhaps? Fostex HP-A8C MkII? Really interested in yall’s input, at whatever price point you feel starts to make a meaningful difference vs the V30.

From opinions posted in this very thread, you need to be thinking about splashing out well over $500 if you want to improve on what the V30 has to offer.

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #4,268 of 6,140
From opinions posted in this very thread, you need to be thinking about splashing out well over $500 if you want to improve on what the V30 has to offer.
So it seems, so it seems...

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #4,269 of 6,140
v40.JPG
You may be right. But there is that stupid notch and breadboard size of the phone. All this holds me from buying V40. Maybe V50 next year.

The V40 doesn't seem nearly as big as the Note to me--that was the thing that drove me from that series. This finding is also promising--it appears to have more amp power, something the V30 definitely needed to drive planars. I ordered it to try so we'll soon see...

Oct 20, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #4,270 of 6,140

The V40 doesn't seem nearly as big as the Note to me--that was the thing that drove me from that series. This finding is also promising--it appears to have more amp power, something the V30 definitely needed to drive planars. I ordered it to try so we'll soon see...

I still would like to know which mode Phone Arena tested the V30 in and which mode the V40 was tested in.

Oct 20, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #4,271 of 6,140

I thought the new iPhones didn't have an analog headphone output jack - so I'm wondering why they're showing it having 0.42V in that graphic?
Even though the V40 has ~2x the power (Power = Voltage squared / Resistance) of the V35 - that should only be barely noticeable, as far as sound pressure level differences are concerned (if the amplifiers aren't output current limited).

Oct 21, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #4,272 of 6,140

i did not understand what your needs are about desktop. never tried hugo 2. a lot of peple sais that is really good. but if you don´t want a spend a lot of money and if you want quality, see this http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm or this http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1138/NFB1138EN.htm or this http://audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R11/R2R11EN.htm
i have always searched products with good Q/P realtion and audio-gd for me is unbeatable. Pour Paris vous avez audiophonics

Oct 21, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #4,273 of 6,140
I still would like to know which mode Phone Arena tested the V30 in and which mode the V40 was tested in.

The V30 should output near 2V, not sure what to think of the 0.75V for V35 and 1V for V40 in those charts. Maybe they used the redneck method and just connected a multimeter to the jack without putting any load on it before measuring. In that case, they definitely didn't measure the high gain mode IMO.

I don't see how the V30 could have driven the HD800S with just 0.75V. And it actually does, with room to spare.

EDIT: Here's the proof that their measurements are useless (this is with high impedance mode triggered on the V30):

879VxO1.jpg

EDIT2: With Aux mod triggered, I'm measuring 0.6X V which is about the same thing phonearena got. So it looks like they just connected a cable with no load on it and measured the Aux mode.

84xT7f3.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #4,274 of 6,140
I received my LG V40 this Friday and so far very happy. Coming from an S7 Edge the V40 has a larger screen, thinner and lighter build, smoother screen transitions, and certainly better sound quality both wired and via the external speaker.

Battery life is ok so far but time will tell. Love the Quad DAC with my HD 598s. The max volume I can listen to comfortably is about 38 out of 75.

Oct 21, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #4,275 of 6,140
I received my LG V40 this Friday and so far very happy. Coming from an S7 Edge the V40 has a larger screen, thinner and lighter build, smoother screen transitions, and certainly better sound quality both wired and via the external speaker.

Battery life is ok so far but time will tell. Love the Quad DAC with my HD 598s. The max volume I can listen to comfortably is about 38 out of 75.

Battery life on V30 was AMAZING at start..............so I'd be surprised if V40's wasn't. GSM shows 93 hours (they are the most accurate at measuring this IMO), but V40 hasn't been reviewed yet. To me anything 90+ is EXCELLENT (Note 9 for example is 97 hours).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back