LG V30
Oct 21, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #4,276 of 6,140
i did not understand what your needs are about desktop. never tried hugo 2. a lot of peple sais that is really good. but if you don´t want a spend a lot of money and if you want quality, see this http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm or this http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1138/NFB1138EN.htm or this http://audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R11/R2R11EN.htm
i have always searched products with good Q/P realtion and audio-gd for me is unbeatable. Pour Paris vous avez audiophonics
Thanks for the tips alota! Audio-gd is definitely an intriguing brand that I could see emerge from the murky seas of chi-fi and step into the light like Cayin did. I have never been able to audition anything from them, on specs they are giant killers but I’m worried implementation could lag. Keeping them in mind, and as you say Audiophonics makes it easy to order at least.

I was at a big audio show this afternoon and tried out a few things - great tube amps from Cayin precisely driving Fostex woodies and a Utopia, Ifi’s xDSD (it’s nice but like the Mojo, arguably useless for V30 owners unless you need the extra power), as well as Ifi’s entire higher-end desktop line-up feeding Meze’s new Empyrean... Had a good time!
Mostly on the Nuprime booth. They are about to release the H version of their DAC-9, meaning it now integrates a headphone amp. It used to be only the DAC-10H that came with an optional integrated amp, which for just $300 more compared well with expensive external amps. With the DAC-9 the only consistent in-brand option was to shell out $700+ for the HPA-9 amp. Well the DAC-9H is brilliant. For just $150 more it’s even better than the HPA-9. Probably less powerful but it easily drove the Beyerdynamic Amiron in spite of the 250-ohm impedance. 3.5 mm SE and 4.4 mm balanced output. AK4490 perfectly implemented, deeply musical and smart. It’s not even on Nuprime’s website yet, and won’t release until December.

The Amiron Home sounded amazing btw, has anyone tried them with the V30?

Oct 22, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #4,277 of 6,140
The V30 should output near 2V, not sure what to think of the 0.75V for V35 and 1V for V40 in those charts. Maybe they used the redneck method and just connected a multimeter to the jack without putting any load on it before measuring. In that case, they definitely didn't measure the high gain mode IMO.

I don't see how the V30 could have driven the HD800S with just 0.75V. And it actually does, with room to spare.

EDIT: Here's the proof that their measurements are useless (this is with high impedance mode triggered on the V30):

879VxO1.jpg

EDIT2: With Aux mod triggered, I'm measuring 0.6X V which is about the same thing phonearena got. So it looks like they just connected a cable with no load on it and measured the Aux mode.

84xT7f3.jpg

Yes, I'm sure GSM do not bother triggering the different modes.

I got 1.9V rms on my G6 for high impedance, and 1V rms for line level. 0.44V rms for normal.

Maybe there are differences between models, or the European models are lower as there are regulations there on maximum SPL (loudness with in box headphones)

May I ask what is the signal level on your test track?

Oct 22, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #4,278 of 6,140
The V30 should output near 2V, not sure what to think of the 0.75V for V35 and 1V for V40 in those charts. Maybe they used the redneck method and just connected a multimeter to the jack without putting any load on it before measuring. In that case, they definitely didn't measure the high gain mode IMO.

I don't see how the V30 could have driven the HD800S with just 0.75V. And it actually does, with room to spare.

EDIT: Here's the proof that their measurements are useless (this is with high impedance mode triggered on the V30):

879VxO1.jpg

EDIT2: With Aux mod triggered, I'm measuring 0.6X V which is about the same thing phonearena got. So it looks like they just connected a cable with no load on it and measured the Aux mode.

84xT7f3.jpg

Awesome comparison! Thanks!!

So in layman's terms, does the V40 have more, the same, or less amp power/volume output than the V30?

Oct 22, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #4,279 of 6,140
Battery life on V30 was AMAZING at start..............so I'd be surprised if V40's wasn't. GSM shows 93 hours (they are the most accurate at measuring this IMO), but V40 hasn't been reviewed yet. To me anything 90+ is EXCELLENT (Note 9 for example is 97 hours).

I doubt it'll be anywhere near as good. Just look at published figures comparing the V30 and the V35 - the SD845 seems to be about 20% more power hungry than the SD835.

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #4,280 of 6,140
Yes, I'm sure GSM do not bother triggering the different modes.

I got 1.9V rms on my G6 for high impedance, and 1V rms for line level. 0.44V rms for normal.

Maybe there are differences between models, or the European models are lower as there are regulations there on maximum SPL (loudness with in box headphones)

May I ask what is the signal level on your test track?
Your values confirm my impression with my headphones. I use aux mode that is in the middle in terms of volume and sound pressure

Oct 22, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #4,281 of 6,140
So in layman's terms, does the V40 have more, the same, or less amp power/volume output than the V30?

General consensus is unfortunately less it seems from several sources...but I have a V40 on order and a couple headphones (including power hungry planars) to try immediately and find out. Have the best tech equipment available for comparison--my ears :)

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #4,283 of 6,140

General consensus is unfortunately less it seems from several sources...but I have a V40 on order and a couple headphones (including power hungry planars) to try immediately and find out. Have the best tech equipment available for comparison--my ears :)

Wow! Ok cool.

Yes that would be cool. I await your post Scott!

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #4,284 of 6,140
For people who are commenting on the V40 and its power -
If you haven't read the V40 thread, my advice is to stick with the 30 if you love the sonic characteristics. We switched providers, and I rolled the dice with the 40. Everything about it is better, including the battery life, EXCEPT the audio quality. In short, even though they share the same chip set, the 40 is quieter. Using Neutron with my 58X, I have to max out the volume at 100 to reach what I did at 87 on the 30. Neutron moves in incriments of 7.
Furthermore, Meridian Audio tuned the 40, and imo they did it little justice. What I'm hearing -
A more balanced sound, however the mids are slightly recessed. The treble is more rolled off, and the bass is less impactful. It sounds slightly more congested than the 30 - separation isn't quite as good. It lacks that energy, emotion and drive the 30 has.
Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound terrible by any means. It's just different, and it doesn't make me want to tap and bob with rock music like the 30 did. Thank goodness I have my Opus #1s, or else I'd exchange it for another 30.
The 40 is snappy, the display is brilliant, and the notch disappears with media and Google Chrome. I figure I'll have the best of both worlds with the 40 and my Opus. Opus for primary audio (because its better than the 30 and 40), and the 40 for media, because I love to binge watch. The DTS 3D surround sound is nice for movies, but it sucks for music.
Some power examples for the 40 using Neutron
B&O H6 in auxiliary - volume at 93 is as loud as I can handle. With the 30 it was 87
Hifiman Edition S in auxiliary - volume at 87. It was 80 with the 30.
M-Audio Q40 in high impedance - 93 with the 40, 80 with the 30.
So the difference isn't huge, but if you were hoping for more to power planars, it's no dice.
I almost think the slight volume difference is due to the tuning, but maybe not.
I don't think I like the headphone jack on the bottom of the phone either.
Meridian said they wanted a balanced, true to life and actual recording type of tuning with the 40, so take that for what it's worth. I think it excels with softer type music, as it's a more laid back type of sound compared to the 30.

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #4,285 of 6,140
For people who are commenting on the V40 and its power -
If you haven't read the V40 thread, my advice is to stick with the 30 if you love the sonic characteristics. We switched providers, and I rolled the dice with the 40. Everything about it is better, including the battery life, EXCEPT the audio quality. In short, even though they share the same chip set, the 40 is quieter. Using Neutron with my 58X, I have to max out the volume at 100 to reach what I did at 87 on the 30. Neutron moves in incriments of 7.
Furthermore, Meridian Audio tuned the 40, and imo they did it little justice. What I'm hearing -
A more balanced sound, however the mids are slightly recessed. The treble is more rolled off, and the bass is less impactful. It sounds slightly more congested than the 30 - separation isn't quite as good. It lacks that energy, emotion and drive the 30 has.
Don't get me wrong, it doesn't sound terrible by any means. It's just different, and it doesn't make me want to tap and bob with rock music like the 30 did. Thank goodness I have my Opus #1s, or else I'd exchange it for another 30.
The 40 is snappy, the display is brilliant, and the notch disappears with media and Google Chrome. I figure I'll have the best of both worlds with the 40 and my Opus. Opus for primary audio (because its better than the 30 and 40), and the 40 for media, because I love to binge watch. The DTS 3D surround sound is nice for movies, but it sucks for music.
Some power examples for the 40 using Neutron
B&O H6 in auxiliary - volume at 93 is as loud as I can handle. With the 30 it was 87
Hifiman Edition S in auxiliary - volume at 87. It was 80 with the 30.
M-Audio Q40 in high impedance - 93 with the 40, 80 with the 30.
So the difference isn't huge, but if you were hoping for more to power planars, it's no dice.
I almost think the slight volume difference is due to the tuning, but maybe not.
I don't think I like the headphone jack on the bottom of the phone either.
Meridian said they wanted a balanced, true to life and actual recording type of tuning with the 40, so take that for what it's worth. I think it excels with softer type music, as it's a more laid back type of sound compared to the 30.

That blows! lol I mean it's not a big deal, but it should be louder. lol And also better.

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #4,286 of 6,140
That blows! lol I mean it's not a big deal, but it should be louder. lol And also better.
Yeah, I'm over it.....I think. I already miss my 30s sound quality, but this is no doubt a better, nicer phone. And like I said, the audio isn't that bad. We were just spoiled by our 30s. I listened to my buddies Note 9 yesterday, and it sounded like unbalanced, congested garbage compared to my 40. I told him it sounded great though

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #4,287 of 6,140
Here's another little tid bit I forgot to mention - Music sounds much better using the stock LG music player on the 40 than it did on the 30 for whatever reason. With the stock player, music gets much louder than it did on the 30. So I don't know, it's strange. Maybe I should try usb audio player pro. I'm hoping after some of the experts on here get their hands on the 40, we can start another dedicated thread like the V30 tips and tricks thread. My problem could be Neutron I reckon?

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #4,288 of 6,140
Yeah, I'm over it.....I think. I already miss my 30s sound quality, but this is no doubt a better, nicer phone. And like I said, the audio isn't that bad. We were just spoiled by our 30s. I listened to my buddies Note 9 yesterday, and it sounded like unbalanced, congested garbage compared to my 40. I told him it sounded great though

LOL!

You're a good friend Mhog55. haha!!

It's sad that in the U.S., we get those Snapdragon Samsung phones with the integrated Snapdragon DACs on them. Meanwhile, the REST of the world gets the Exynos-based Samsungs with the nice Hi-Fi DEDICATED Cirrus Logic DACs (and prob better amps too) on them. Why the F can't we get that? I bet then you'd have been a lot more honest with your friend if he had that. lol But then, he would have a hard time making calls since the int'l ones I believe have different radio bands than the U.S. ones. F U and DIE Samsung!! LOL

Yeah we were I guess, weren't we??

I'm testing out the new Sony Xperia XZ3 right now. It's superior in pretty much every way except audio. I think the audio is good as usual (still need to test it), but Sony Mobile gives these phones like the weakest amps ever. Like 0.32 volts vs. the V30 which is triple that in I think Normal mode?? lol Or def Aux for sure, but prob Normal.

Still, I love the Sony phone more for the most part. The camera is better overall as well vs LG. Though I'm using a modded GCam app (same app used on Pixel........the "mod" unlocked HDR ftw), in most low light pics Sony wins, but in one pic the Sony had way too much noise. I guess there really is NO perfect phone.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #4,289 of 6,140
Here's another little tid bit I forgot to mention - Music sounds much better using the stock LG music player on the 40 than it did on the 30 for whatever reason. With the stock player, music gets much louder than it did on the 30. So I don't know, it's strange. Maybe I should try usb audio player pro. I'm hoping after some of the experts on here get their hands on the 40, we can start another dedicated thread like the V30 tips and tricks thread. My problem could be Neutron I reckon?

Oh ok. Yeah try UAPP and also Poweramp (my preferred one) as well. Poweramp V3 should be released anyday now. After 5 1/2 years, they FINALLY released the first update (beta though, which you join via their Play Store page (Trial one, not Full version) with the V3 label in it, but yeah it's still a beta. But since it says V3 where the others before didn't, I think it's coming very soon. The newer build has a whole new look to it and better sound IMO.

But even if it's louder it sounds like the 30 still sounded better? Or you want more time to evaluate? lol

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #4,290 of 6,140
Oh ok. Yeah try UAPP and also Poweramp (my preferred one) as well. Poweramp V3 should be released anyday now. After 5 1/2 years, they FINALLY released the first update (beta though, which you join via their Play Store page (Trial one, not Full version) with the V3 label in it, but yeah it's still a beta. But since it says V3 where the others before didn't, I think it's coming very soon. The newer build has a whole new look to it and better sound IMO.

But even if it's louder it sounds like the 30 still sounded better? Or you want more time to evaluate? lol
Well I definitely need more time, but atm, I definitely enjoyed and appreciated the sonic characteristics of the 30 more so

Users who are viewing this thread

Back