LG V30
Oct 26, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #4,306 of 6,140
To you chaps out there who also have the V30 + SE846 combo, what's your normal listening volume? In UAPP I'm in the 28 - 35 range 99% of the time (standard hi-fi output mode). Just curious what others ranges are with sensitive iems.

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #4,307 of 6,140
As several of us are reporting, the V40 just doesnt have the same wow factor as the V30. It also has several more useless sound options cluttering the DAC options page, which also may be messing with the sound. I'm still burning in the V40 but from what I've heard so far...I'm not very impressed.

By the way, I'm using Pioneer Master-SE1 headphones, which are incredibly revealing. Don't listen to Tyl at IF and others that blast these--if you are in the market, give them a try from a returnable source as they sound just amazing with the V30, so I can just imagine an even better source. They are meticulously made in Japan to last forever and list for $2500, but several sources (Pioneer, B&H, Bestbuy) have them for $1800 now. Your not going to be wearing them around town that's for sure so they do need a 3.5mm adapter off the stock cable...but man are they impressive, especially bass for an open air model. I have everything from Senn 6xxx all the way to HiFiMan X v2 and I'll be selling them all as these are my end-game.

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #4,308 of 6,140
As several of us are reporting, the V40 just doesnt have the same wow factor as the V30. It also has several more useless sound options cluttering the DAC options page, which also may be messing with the sound. I'm still burning in the V40 but from what I've heard so far...I'm not very impressed.

By the way, I'm using Pioneer Master-SE1 headphones, which are incredibly revealing. Don't listen to Tyl at IF and others that blast these--if you are in the market, give them a try from a returnable source as they sound just amazing with the V30, so I can just imagine an even better source. They are meticulously made in Japan to last forever and list for $2500, but several sources (Pioneer, B&H, Bestbuy) have them for $1800 now. Your not going to be wearing them around town that's for sure so they do need a 3.5mm adapter off the stock cable...but man are they impressive, especially bass for an open air model. I have everything from Senn 6xxx all the way to HiFiMan X v2 and I'll be selling them all as these are my end-game.
I agree in full, unfortunately. Have you listened in high impedance mode? This is where it sounds best, and truth be told, it's not terrible. The sound is starting to open up some through more use, and it's playing relatively nicely with my 58X. Auxiliary mode is another story. Even with the volume maxed out with my B&O H6, it sounds thin and less dynamic than the 30.
I haven't played around with the Dac settings, but I don't recall more options than the 30 had. I'll have to take another look.
I'm probably going to purchase another 30 just to have. If this path is continued for LG with the V series line, I'll forever regret trading in my 30.
The one thing that's really killing me is how revealing the 40 is with lesser quality recordings. I was listening to some remastered Stones last night that I converted to 32 bit WAV, and it doesn't sound half bad. Unfortunately, although all my music is 24 or 32 bit, a lot of it is 80s hair band butt rock, and the original recordings were pretty terrible. They sounded quite good on the 30. Not so much on the 40

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #4,309 of 6,140
That's disappointing news, especially since LG seems to be almost the last smartphone manufacturer championing the 3.5 mm socket :frowning2:
I wonder if this something to do with it being "Tuned by Meridian"? The B&O tuning was (I believe) only in select European markets and didn't affect my US V30. But it seems that Tuned-by-Meridian is a global "feature".

I don't think Neutron and UAPP are up-to-speed yet on the V40, so DSD and even 44/16 files might not be playing back properly right now via those apps.
How do 24-bit PCM files compare on the V30 and V40 through the stock LG music app?

P.S. @Mhog55 - I'm not doubting your experiences with the V40, but I'm not sure that it being unforgiving of poor sources/recordings is a weakness.

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #4,311 of 6,140
That's disappointing news, especially since LG seems to be almost the last smartphone manufacturer championing the 3.5 mm socket :frowning2:
I wonder if this something to do with it being "Tuned by Meridian"? The B&O tuning was (I believe) only in select European markets and didn't affect my US V30. But it seems that Tuned-by-Meridian is a global "feature".

I don't think Neutron and UAPP are up-to-speed yet on the V40, so DSD and even 44/16 files might not be playing back properly right now via those apps.
How do 24-bit PCM files compare on the V30 and V40 through the stock LG music app?

P.S. @Mhog55 - I'm not doubting your experiences with the V40, but I'm not sure that it being unforgiving of poor sources/recordings is a weakness.

So it's been confirmed then that even the U.S. V40s will be "Tuned by Meridian"?

Oct 29, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #4,312 of 6,140

My V30+ was imported from Hong-Kong and bears the B&O logo on the back.

Oct 29, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #4,313 of 6,140

It's absolutely a Meridian thing. It's the only logical explanation. Everything else is the same

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #4,316 of 6,140

It is if you have a lot of originaly poor recordings lol

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #4,317 of 6,140

Oddly enough, I get more volume from the stock player on the 40 than I did on the 30. Neutron seems to be working fine on my 40, but I have no way of knowing with certainty

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #4,318 of 6,140

I'm sure it's the Meridian tuning--and it definitely is global. I read somewhere they were going for a "live" lean sound and i would say they got it. I personally prefer a lusher more robust sound like i get with my V30. And yes...neither of the big dog audio apps are fully ready for the V40 so I'm trying to convert my test ISO files so i can play it on the stock player. One good thing is that the stock player appears to finally not chop off the first second of the song with the V40 version!

The only good 'feature' they added was volume normalization as i have some wide-ranging audio levels between selections, but even that may be compromising the sound. I, as do likely most audiophiles, listen to everything flat and in bitperfect mode so i dont need all that superfluous garbage.

Currently 'burning it in' through tonight with an endless Beatles loop so i'll try again on Tuesday. And oh yeah...this has a crazy camera system and beefed up speaker too doesn't it--haven't in touched those yet as it just HAS to sound as good though HP as the V30+ to my ears (I'm even losing 64gb storage) or it's a no-go.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #4,319 of 6,140
I'm sure it's the Meridian tuning--and it definitely is global. I read somewhere they were going for a "live" lean sound and i would say they got it. I personally prefer a lusher more robust sound like i get with my V30. And yes...neither of the big dog audio apps are fully ready for the V40 so I'm trying to convert my test ISO files so i can play it on the stock player. One good thing is that the stock player appears to finally not chop off the first second of the song with the V40 version!

The only good 'feature' they added was volume normalization as i have some wide-ranging audio levels between selections, but even that may be compromising the sound. I, as do likely most audiophiles, listen to everything flat and in bitperfect mode so i dont need all that superfluous garbage.

Currently 'burning it in' through tonight with an endless Beatles loop so i'll try again on Tuesday. And oh yeah...this has a crazy camera system and beefed up speaker too doesn't it--haven't in touched those yet as it just HAS to sound as good though HP as the V30+ to my ears (I'm even losing 64gb storage) or it's a no-go.
Do you know what's missing or not working correctly with Neutron? It seems to be working decent enough for me

Oct 29, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #4,320 of 6,140

The camera is pretty slick. Takes really good photos. Better for selfies of me and my fish. Don't care much about the speaker, and I'd rather keep my music files on a card anyways. That's why I'm keeping it. Better camera, better media experience for watching movies. I have my The bit Opus #1s for tunes.
20181027_171158.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back