LG V30
Oct 19, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #4,246 of 6,140
You may be right. But there is that stupid notch and breadboard size of the phone. All this holds me from buying V40. Maybe V50 next year.

9938870_l.jpg

I was a huge admirer of Steve Jobs, despite what you make of Apple's business practices there's no denying the guy was remarkable. I've a lot of time for Mr Ive, too, but yeah, that notch is definitely one the worst "innovations" Apple have ever introduced to smartphone tech.

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #4,247 of 6,140
L adapter + impedance booster 75 ohm = high gain (no root) impedance trick. (Less than 50 ohms)
There is such a power that the Sennheiser HD660s sound good (150ohm). You will be surprised .There are 3 modes that are auto-tuned, this is to be scrambled. normal / aux / high
i know all of this. i have the impedance adapter and l adapter. i use my westone in aux mode. i´m surprised LOL. the aeon is a planar a little har for the phone in my opinion

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #4,248 of 6,140
i know all of this. i have the impedance adapter and l adapter. i use my westone in aux mode. i´m surprised LOL. the aeon is a planar a little har for the phone in my opinion
With Audio Technica AD900x (high-folded) the V30 is very good, its beautiful voice.
The HD 660s FLAC also plays nicely (DSD / 24 bit FLAC is a bit harder). For the HD650, I already use a FiiO Q5 with a 4,4mm balanced Pentacon cable. (amplifier AM3B)
If the V30 had been balanced out it would be a different thing .. :)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #4,249 of 6,140
If the V30 had been balanced out it would be a different thing .. :)

Let's hope they don't do that for a couple of reasons; 1) it would make the device even more esoteric, and most importantly, 2) I don't own any balanced cables (and don't want to use an adaptor).

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #4,250 of 6,140
You may be right. But there is that stupid notch and breadboard size of the phone. All this holds me from buying V40. Maybe V50 next year.

It's more like T-Mobile's abysmal customer service. I wasn't able to order the phone in 3 HOURS time last night.

Oct 19, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #4,251 of 6,140
Let's hope they don't do that for a couple of reasons; 1) it would make the device even more esoteric, and most importantly, 2) I don't own any balanced cables (and don't want to use an adaptor).
"even more esoteric" :) What do you mean by this?
Anyway, on my current headphones, almost all of them are balanced. It can drive the headphones in a balanced way with a lot of energy.(+30-50%!) This is mainly above the 50 ohms. Here is the example: The Earsonic ES100 drives the HD650 evenly, but in balance. Unbalanced, he is already struggling with the V30.
(ps, the HD 660s is already nice with 150 ohms) But anyway, we can not ask for this because the V40 was already released, with the same sound system as the V30.)

Oct 19, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #4,252 of 6,140
It means it would be more expensive and less attractive to most (like 99% of) smartphone buyers who have no idea what the heck balanced out means and don't care. It would also signal the death of LG mobile...

Oct 19, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #4,253 of 6,140
Just saw the v40 at Verizon to see if I want to pre-order it for T-Mobile Jump and I have to admit I was pretty impressed. The screen is way clearer...
I recently bought another (2nd hand) V30 for $260 and was stunned at the screen. My original V30 had a little off-angle blue hue, and some mild banding noticeable in low-lighting with the screen brightness all the way down. It's minor and never bothered me, but this newer V30 must have been from a later batch, because its screen is absolutely perfect. A totally different product.

Anyway, on my current headphones, almost all of them are balanced. It can drive the headphones in a balanced way with a lot of energy.(+30-50%!)
Most of my headphones have balanced 2.5 mm trrs connectors too. I regret that now, because most of the time I feel like a dumb Apple user with a dongle. Yes, there are many devices that offer more power via balanced connectors, but, if the OEMs do their single-ended output properly, 3.5mm trs is more than enough. The best-sounding, most powerful portable device I have is the Hugo 2 (single-ended output) and it's specs (including channel separation) poop all over anything I have with a balanced output. My best-sounding DAP - QP1R (single-ended output); my favorite ultra-portable DAP - Shanling M0 (single-ended output), and my phone - V30 (single-ended output). I doubt I'll buy another gadget with balanced output. I think what @waveSounds means is a balanced output would likely kill LG's sales. Most people wouldn't be interested. I'm looking forward to the day I can re-terminate all my headphones to 3.5 mm :)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #4,254 of 6,140
I recently bought another (2nd hand) V30 for $260 and was stunned at the screen. My original V30 had a little off-angle blue hue, and some mild banding noticeable in low-lighting with the screen brightness all the way down. It's minor and never bothered me, but this newer V30 must have been from a later batch, because it's screen is absolutely perfect. A totally different product.

Most of my headphones have balanced 2.5 mm trrs connectors too. I regret that now, because most of the time I feel like a dumb Apple user with a dongle. Yes, there are many devices that offer more power via balanced connectors, but, if the OEMs do their single-ended output properly, 3.5mm trs is more than enough. The best-sounding, most powerful portable device I have is the Hugo 2 (single-ended output) and it's specs (including channel separation) poop all over anything I have with a balanced output. My best-sounding DAP - QP1R (single-ended output); my favorite ultra-portable DAP - Shanling M0 (single-ended output), and my phone - V30 (single-ended output). I doubt I'll buy another gadget with balanced output. I think what @waveSounds means is a balanced output would likely kill LG's sales. Most people wouldn't be interested. I'm looking forward to the day I can re-terminate all my headphones to 3.5 mm :)

Wow. I bought my V30 right when it came out too. Wonder which batch I got mine from?? lol

Nice on balanced not being that big of a deal. My Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro headphones' cable terminates with a mini-XLR connector, which as you know isn't available in a balanced version anyway. So F it! lol

Oct 19, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #4,255 of 6,140
I recently bought another (2nd hand) V30 for $260 and was stunned at the screen. My original V30 had a little off-angle blue hue, and some mild banding noticeable in low-lighting with the screen brightness all the way down. It's minor and never bothered me, but this newer V30 must have been from a later batch, because its screen is absolutely perfect. A totally different product.

---------------------
However, many headphones manufacturers are already in the factory. It also gives another cable. Sennheiser HD660s 4,4mm pentaconne is balanced. And for the FiiO Q5, they also released a new amplifier module with 4.4 pentaconne outputs. (consumer society) Although I have to say, a much more separate voice, more balanced, more space is spoken in the balanced mode .. (I was in the line ..) ):)
am3b_2.jpg

As a source I use the V30 with UAPP, in car, aux. And if I do not want to use a half brick, sometimes v30.

q5 dsd 1.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #4,256 of 6,140
@waveSounds means is a balanced output would likely kill LG's sales. Most people wouldn't be interested.

Precisely what I meant.

I'm always somewhat sceptical when I hear exclamations that going balanced was a "night and day difference" or made their cans "come to life", particularly as the most common reason for using a balanced connection that I come across is to negate noise introduction/interference over long cable runs. Aside from the extra power that seems to come with balanced outputs, the only reason why I can see this being would be that the the manufacturer prioritised and optimised the balanced section of their amps over the single ended output.

Oct 19, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #4,257 of 6,140
balanced connection(in the headphone side) is just a bridged amplifier so 3 watt from a single-ended amplifier or balanced amplifiers are always 3 watt.balanced amplifier duplicate costs(main section, filter section, amp section, pot). some dap and portable amplifiers, IMHO, have balanced output to show a reasonable output power.
in the past in my main systems i had all balanced(amplifiers, sources and headphones);no always is the best road.
about lgv30 let´s leave it as it is

Oct 19, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #4,258 of 6,140
balanced connection(in the headphone side) is just a bridged amplifier so 3 watt from a single-ended amplifier or balanced amplifiers are always 3 watt.balanced amplifier duplicate costs(main section, filter section, amp section, pot). some dap and portable amplifiers, IMHO, have balanced output to show a reasonable output power.
in the past in my main systems i had all balanced(amplifiers, sources and headphones);no always is the best road.
about lgv30 let´s leave it as it is
---------------------
A balanced / unbalanced question is subjective. (hearing is also) I can be a placebo, but I hear a few small details, and Sennheiser is no coincidence that it has a factory-fitted 4,4 balanced cable. (Not a fashion company who has been modeling a model for 21 years (HD600) for 14 years (HD650) ..:) I do not think they only enter a trend. to the balanced "club"..
Lg V30 .. ((formerly V10 me 2, V20, now V 30) Let's really let this be a good phone and DAP, I already ordered the Voia back cover case for the V40.:) The child grew a little,
v40_1.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #4,259 of 6,140
careful that i´m not saying that balanced is a placebo. probably your amplifier sounds better in this configuration and with your phone. you should try, for example, a better desktop amplifer for your phone would sound in the same way(just hypothetical)
P.S.: my first serious headphone was a sennheiser hd-650 in 2007, after many things and more headaches :)

Oct 19, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #4,260 of 6,140
careful that i´m not saying that balanced is a placebo. probably your amplifier sounds better in this configuration and with your phone. you should try, for example, a better desktop amplifer for your phone would sound in the same way(just hypothetical)
P.S.: my first serious headphone was a sennheiser hd-650 in 2007, after many things and more headaches :)
---------------
Yes I have an HD650 and it sounds beautiful too (but in balance even better)
It's been manufactured for 14 years, I've just bought it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back