LG V30
Oct 8, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #4,216 of 6,140
was useless in my opinion just because dvd-audio had space and capacity to store in one disc a hi-res files without the need of codecs and algorithm; just pcm. a coomercial gimmick that caused the death of dvd-audio and the short victory of sacd

Are you sure? 96khz 24 bit PCM 5.1 is around 11.7Mb/s if done with care. That's high for DVD mechanisms. Was FLAC 6 channel optimised then?

I agree with Dolby on bluray: a complete rip off, as the room and datarate meant no need for any licencing. But the film industry doesn't wotk that way. Dolby give away the kit to the big studios.

Oct 8, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #4,217 of 6,140
Are you sure? 96khz 24 bit PCM 5.1 is around 11.7Mb/s if done with care. That's high for DVD mechanisms. Was FLAC 6 channel optimised then?

I agree with Dolby on bluray: a complete rip off, as the room and datarate meant no need for any licencing. But the film industry doesn't wotk that way. Dolby give away the kit to the big studios.
why six channel? dvd-audio was an high-res version of cd.

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #4,220 of 6,140
------------
There are measurements on that link. And they support what they've heard. How do you use the meridian with a mobile phone? I can not do it ..

Meridian are a manufacturer who are under contract with LG to consult on their audio. From the V40 onwards they are supposedly wirking with them on it. Meridian know their stuff in this area. Where they can make more than subtle improvements on the layout and local PSU will be interesting. However hopefully they will also bring their expertise on the signal chain. The LG phones are great when the DAC is fed the bits directly. It seems the non hi-res goes through the Qualcomm and is not looked after well.

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #4,222 of 6,140
Meridian are a manufacturer who are under contract with LG to consult on their audio. From the V40 onwards they are supposedly wirking with them on it. Meridian know their stuff in this area. Where they can make more than subtle improvements on the layout and local PSU will be interesting. However hopefully they will also bring their expertise on the signal chain. The LG phones are great when the DAC is fed the bits directly. It seems the non hi-res goes through the Qualcomm and is not looked after well.
I've seen no evidence to support that last sentence. All ESS DAC features (settings, filters, THD+N) are retained with red book CD playback, it's just that anything that's 44kHz/16 bit gets re-sampled to 48 kHz. But that effect is only really noticeable if you're using low-impedance, high-sensitivity IEMs.

I'm not really sure why people are excited about Meridian or MQA. In this day and age, why do we need more lossy compression? Besides, Meridian do strange and proprietary things with their filters. (Check out the Watts Up thread where MQA regularly gets ripped to pieces.) You can also read more at the MQA spoiler link in the following post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/

Has it been confirmed that the V40 will have MQA?
I see no mentioning of it anywhere

Well, the V30 had MQA support and now LG are partnering with the sole creator/distributor of all things MQA :wink: But having said that, we are living in a crazy mixed-up world, so who knows. Maybe MQA support will die like the headphone socket and the V40 will simply have a built-in EQ that you can't disable, lovingly designed by Bob Stuart. I know which way Apple would go :)

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #4,223 of 6,140
I'm not really sure why people are excited about Meridian or MQA. In this day and age, why do we need more lossy compression? Besides, Meridian do strange and proprietary things with their filters. (Check out the Watts Up thread where MQA regularly gets ripped to pieces.) You can also read more at the MQA spoiler link in the following post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/:)
I'm no supporter of fads but I can say that when listening to a 'regular' hi-fi song on Tidal and then listening to similar songs via MQA, it's pretty clear to me that there is a difference and I like the way MQA files sound. I don't know the science behind it and maybe there's compression involved but my ears like the MQA sound. And coming out of my phone (or at least it used to when I owned the V30+), getting sound quality like that is insane, if you ask me.

My two cents. And I am not an MQA or Meridian fanboy; I actually prefer Linn as my humble home set up is a Linn Majik amp bi-wired with Katan speakers but I digress...

:L3000::L3000:

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #4,224 of 6,140
I'm no supporter of fads but I can say that when listening to a 'regular' hi-fi song on Tidal and then listening to similar songs via MQA, it's pretty clear to me that there is a difference and I like the way MQA files sound. I don't know the science behind it and maybe there's compression involved but my ears like the MQA sound. And coming out of my phone (or at least it used to when I owned the V30+), getting sound quality like that is insane, if you ask me.

My two cents. And I am not an MQA or Meridian fanboy; I actually prefer Linn as my humble home set up is a Linn Majik amp bi-wired with Katan speakers but I digress...

:L3000::L3000:
There can be a significant difference in playback quality of MQA files via Tidal's app on the V30, but it has nothing intrinsically to do with MQA. It's just that MQA files are all 24 bit and so don't get up-sampled. Those effects are way more significant than any content over 22 kHz.

Oct 8, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #4,225 of 6,140
I've seen no evidence to support that last sentence. All ESS DAC features (settings, filters, THD+N) are retained with red book CD playback, it's just that anything that's 44kHz/16 bit gets re-sampled to 48 kHz. But that effect is only really noticeable if you're using low-impedance, high-sensitivity IEMs.

I'm not really sure why people are excited about Meridian or MQA. In this day and age, why do we need more lossy compression? Besides, Meridian do strange and proprietary things with their filters. (Check out the Watts Up thread where MQA regularly gets ripped to pieces.) You can also read more at the MQA spoiler link in the following post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/

Well, the V30 had MQA support and now LG are partnering with the sole creator/distributor of all things MQA :wink: But having said that, we are living in a crazy mixed-up world, so who knows. Maybe MQA support will die like the headphone socket and the V40 will simply have a built-in EQ that you can't disable, lovingly designed by Bob Stuart. I know which way Apple would go :)
I've noticed bass sound a little funny on mqa files sometimes.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #4,226 of 6,140

Meridian have been doing audio hardware and conversion long before they shot off the MQA branch of the business. I'm not a fan of their kit either, as they are a bit hit and miss for me at the extreme audiophile end of the spectrum. But having them look at the audio in an already good phone may be interesting. Or it may just be a marketing deal.

Re-sampling is not always benign. Low cost and low power ASRCs can add distortion and /or noise, and I am fairly sure Qualcomm care about battery life numbers more than correct interpolation and dithering. Meridian know this stuff, so I'm less cynical than about it.

Robert Watts also knows his stuff, agreed. However many of the people here ripping MQA a new one do not always. They are more about enjoying the feeding frenzy of criticism than actually being objective.

Will I get a V40 to replace my G6? Quite possibly. Will I get it for MQA? Probably not, but I'm OK it has it as I have a Tidal accout, and usually the MQA version of an album sounds the same or better than the others. Whether this is down to MQA or the choosing if a better less hot master I will leave for another thread, as the trolling on this substect gets tiresome. But MQA is not EQ. EQ is not the only way to affect audio quality.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #4,228 of 6,140
is there a way to enable the equalizer on Spotify and Deezer on LG V30 Phone?
Through the apps, not that I know of. Try RE Equalizer from the Play Store, it’s system wide, very easy to use. Even works on BT signal.

Oct 10, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #4,229 of 6,140
On USB Audio Player Pro, if I don't use bit perfect I clearly hear differences between digital filters of quad DAC. If thou I enable bit perfect the differences disappear. Any idea what the filter type is on bit perfect? I have a feeling which it is but any facts?

Oct 10, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #4,230 of 6,140
On USB Audio Player Pro, if I don't use bit perfect I clearly hear differences between digital filters of quad DAC. If thou I enable bit perfect the differences disappear. Any idea what the filter type is on bit perfect? I have a feeling which it is but any facts?

Strange. I can hear the differences quite clearly. I must double check my settings.

* Edit. It had managed to turn itself off at some point - probably during an update.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back