LG V30
Nov 1, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #4,351 of 6,140
Guys don't forget the new Senn HD58X. Easier to drive than 600 series and they are amazing with V30.
I have a HD660S, the V30 is good for playing with it, but the HD650 is "shaggy":) For the HD650, FiiO Q5 must be balanced.(AM3B 70mW/300 ohm)

Nov 1, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #4,352 of 6,140
Guys don't forget the new Senn HD58X. Easier to drive than 600 series and they are amazing with V30.

I've just spent 3 weeks running in my HD650s. Straight out the box, they were awful. But now, while they don't make you go "Wow!" like the DT990 Pros do, you simply don't want to take them off! Very strange...

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #4,354 of 6,140
Hey guys, I took the good reviews from this thread and ended up with a V30 to pair with my Focal Clears and my Sennheiser 6XX's. It sounds so much better than any other phone I have used so far.

Question though - if you could choose between the Chord Hugo 2 or the Woo Audio WA8, which would you choose to mate with the V30? Anyone with experience using either or both?

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #4,355 of 6,140
Hey guys, I took the good reviews from this thread and ended up with a V30 to pair with my Focal Clears and my Sennheiser 6XX's. It sounds so much better than any other phone I have used so far.

Question though - if you could choose between the Chord Hugo 2 or the Woo Audio WA8, which would you choose to mate with the V30? Anyone with experience using either or both?

Neither.

The whole point of tne V30 is that you don't need an external DAC.

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #4,356 of 6,140
Neither.

This. Since I got my V30, I feel no need for an external DAC/amp when on the go.

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #4,357 of 6,140
Neither.

I see - There are times where I feel like my Focal Clear's are struggling with the V30. Not the same dynamic qualities that I see out of a desktop amp (which is to be expected). Maybe a portable amp is more what I am looking for.

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #4,358 of 6,140
I see - There are times where I feel like my Focal Clear's are struggling with the V30. Not the same dynamic qualities that I see out of a desktop amp (which is to be expected). Maybe a portable amp is more what I am looking for.

The Clear are 55ohms. If the phone doesn't tell you which mode is activated when you plug them in, get the HiFi status app to check whether they're activating the phone's High Impedance mode.

If not, look up posts about activating External and/or High Impedance mode. These will get you a higher amp output out of the phone.

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #4,359 of 6,140
The Clear are 55ohms. If the phone doesn't tell you which mode is activated when you plug them in, get the HiFi status app to check whether they're activating the phone's High Impedance mode.

If not, look up posts about activating External and/or High Impedance mode. These will get you a higher amp output out of the phone.

Hmmm I did a search for high impedance and there is a slew of information but I couldn't readily find instructions on how to activate this mode. Could you point me to the instructions somewhere?

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #4,361 of 6,140
Hmmm I did a search for high impedance and there is a slew of information but I couldn't readily find instructions on how to activate this mode. Could you point me to the instructions somewhere?
Here you go

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #4,362 of 6,140
Nov 7, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #4,363 of 6,140
Thanks! I installed the Hifi Status app. Looks like it uses ordinary mode (non-high impedance) when I connect my Sennheiser IE800's and my Westone Um30's
As @VI001101106 said, with hp or iems around 50 ohm impedance which don’t trigger Aux mode, you’ll have to use a short jack extension to get appropriate volume.
Alternately play music through UAPP.

Nov 9, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #4,365 of 6,140
I have a question or two about possibly purchasing a set of headphones and would like, if possible, to get some opinions here? If this is the wrong place, please let me know. (I have looked around some, but there is just so much info (good and not so good....).

My source is only the lg v30 (my music is already on the phone, I. E., no streaming). I have purchased UAAP app and use it as my music player, phone is rooted. I currently have 2 iems and 2 sets of headphones :

IEMs are the Miles Davis Trumpets and the Hifiman re400's(?-- about $100 at the time of purchase). The head phones are the Shure SRH840's, and the recently purchased Thinksound ON2. I am wanting a somewhat noise canceling set (iem or on/over ear head phone) for airplane travel (have a long trip coming up this coming summer). The Shure's are awful big and bulky with a long heavy cord. The Thinksound (on ears) let quite a bit of the engine noise in, as do the iems.

Price is around $100+/-. I would like best bang for the buck (mass drop is a place I have looked at and used for the thinksound). Sorry, I have more thoughts, but post is way too long now. More later, maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back