LG V30
Nov 9, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #4,367 of 6,140
I've just gotten a friend to purchase the v30 and shall receive them by next week.

Quick question, I've seen lots of people using UAPP here and I've been on Neutron Player all along. To those that have experiences with both, are there any major differences/pros sound quality wise on using UAPP over Neutron player?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 9, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #4,368 of 6,140
I've just gotten a friend to purchase the v30 and shall receive them by next week.

Quick question, I've seen lots of people using UAPP here and I've been on Neutron Player all along. To those that have experiences with both, are there any major differences/pros sound quality wise on using UAPP over Neutron player?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't researched Neutron player, but UAPP has its own audio subsystem driver, which allows it to use the built-in Quad DAC in High Res mode.

Nov 9, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #4,369 of 6,140
I haven't researched Neutron player, but UAPP has its own audio subsystem driver, which allows it to use the built-in Quad DAC in High Res mode.
You mean even without the need to connect a high impedance headphone the player can still activate high res mode from the quad dac?

Nov 10, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #4,370 of 6,140
You mean even without the need to connect a high impedance headphone the player can still activate high res mode from the quad dac?

I don't think UAPP can change the amplifier operation modes, but it does bypass the stock Android audio subsystem.

Nov 10, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #4,371 of 6,140

Thanks in advance.

Neutron has a smoother, more analog type sound. UAPP sounds like the DAC, which will sound very good but more "digital". I like both for various reasons.

Nov 10, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #4,374 of 6,140
Has anyone compared V30 with iPhone 7/8/X, etc. My buddy wanted to get a killer DAC and (for his purposes) I think a V30 would work great, but he already has an iPhone and Mac.

There is no comparison.

It's true - you can't evenly compare a phone containing a High Res Quad DAC and 3.5mm earphone jack (V30), with one that doesn't (new iPhones require an external DAC or BT earphones).

Nov 14, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #4,376 of 6,140
Which phone should I buy? The V30, G7 or the V40. I'm really just looking for a phone that can play MQA directly in the Tidal app cause I'm tired of UAPP that keeps on shutting down while traveling. Tidal answered me that it it ONLY the V30 that actually works with MQA in the Tidal app, but searching this forum I get a feeling that they are lying to me. Does the V40 and G7 also work with MQA in the app. In that case: Which phone is the king in 2018?

Nov 14, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #4,377 of 6,140
Which phone should I buy? The V30, G7 or the V40. I'm really just looking for a phone that can play MQA directly in the Tidal app cause I'm tired of UAPP that keeps on shutting down while traveling. Tidal answered me that it it ONLY the V30 that actually works with MQA in the Tidal app, but searching this forum I get a feeling that they are lying to me. Does the V40 and G7 also work with MQA in the app. In that case: Which phone is the king in 2018?

The Tidal app does indeed work well with V30 and the Quad DAC, as long as you play MQA (Master) tracks. When you play non-MQA tracks in the Tidal app, it will use the Android Mixer path which up-samples Redbook 44.1Khz to 48KHz. It still uses the Quad DAC, but the up-sampling can introduce subtle artifacts as described in @csglinux' thread Music Apps, Tips and Tricks for the LG V30. UAPP is the only way I know to play redbook Tidal tracks directly through the Quad DAC without up-sampling. Of course that precludes offline mode.

I have not experienced UAPP shutting down when playing Tidal, but I have experienced it pausing and stuttering. It helps to change UAPP settings: Increase Settings-System-Network buffer size and Settings-System-Network chunk size and Settings->HiRes audio->Buffer size.

I have no firsthand experience with other phones and Tidal: Members in this thread and the head-fi V40 thread have posted mixed reports about the audio quality of V40, which is tuned differently than the V30. The V40 is a bit larger and taller than the V30, if that is a factor for you. Of course V40 is faster (SD845 vs 835, 6GB RAM vs 4GB). My understanding is that audio works the same on G7 as on V30, but it lacks OLED screen and has a smaller battery.

V30 is kind of a sweet spot: All models now have root (which helps prolong its useful life) and it can be bought at great prices on eBay and elsewhere. If I were in the market for a new phone right now, I would buy V30 in a heartbeat. If you can get the V30S (same phone with 6GB RAM) that would be even better.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #4,378 of 6,140
V30 is kind of a sweet spot: All models now have root (which helps prolong its useful life) and it can be bought at great prices on eBay and elsewhere. If I were in the market for a new phone right now, I would buy V30 in a heartbeat. If you can get the V30S (same phone with 6GB RAM) that would be even better.

I bought my LG-US998 (USA Open Market V30), since LG provides the Bootloader Unlock file for that model - so I could install LinageOS.
When you say that all models can now be rooted, does that mean the Bootloader can also be unlocked on them - for installing alternate ROMs?

Nov 15, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #4,380 of 6,140
I bought my LG-US998 (USA Open Market V30), since LG provides the Bootloader Unlock file for that model - so I could install LinageOS.
When you say that all models can now be rooted, does that mean the Bootloader can also be unlocked on them - for installing alternate ROMs?

Indeed! Three different procedures are involved, depending on the model:

1) Open Market V30/V30+/V30S models (such as your US998 and the European H930) come with fully functional fastboot, they just require an unlock.bin file from LG to unlock their bootlader. However LG reneged on their promise to provide this unlock file for many Open Market models. Through a freaky coincidence, XDA member TxanMoe discovered a bootloader vulnerability that allowed pretty much any file to be used to unlock the bootloader. This is the so-called "What" procedure linked by @gimpy (named after TxanMoe's reaction when he stumbled upon it). Again, here.

2) Carrier V30 models lack fully functional fastboot, but it turns they can be cross-flashed with firmware for the Open Market model for their respective region. So all North American models (except T-Mobile H932 - attempt no landings there) can be converted to US998 and thus get full fastboot. This is the so-called "Frankenstein" method (dubbed by XDA member Moriatier who discovered it). Described here. Frankensteined phones can then be rooted with What.

3) Until recently, T-Mobile H932 models were the exception to this V30 root panacea: H932 does allow bootloader unlock outright, but lacks complete fastboot, so nothing can be flashed after unlocking. And due to its unique RSA encyption signatures, H932 cannot be Frankensteined to US998. Attempts will brick it. But a H932 root procedure was finally posted in September by reverse engineering genius and XDA member runningnak3d. This is the so-called LAFsploit procedure (so named because it exploits a vulnerability in the laf partition that contains LG Download mode). It requires downgrading to Nougat v10d first. Described here.

So, all V30 models worldwide are now rootable, and we have TWRP, and a decent selection of ROMs, and active developers. While still not as developer friendly as Pixel or OnePlus phones, the V30 is still a great and affordable platform. AND it has superior audio :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back