LG V30
Nov 17, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #4,396 of 6,140
Hi.
Do klipsch IEM with 50 ohm activate High Impedance mode on the V30? Thanks.
I’ll just drop one more thing: the x20i are a glorious pairing with the V30. It’s a best-of-both worlds scenario: the excellent precision and cristalline timbre of the V30 match the smoothness and the musicality of the x20i. It’s impossible to know whether you’re listening to BA or dynamic drivers, the attack and decay are spot-on, the bass is so satisfying but you don’t lose out on detail.

Nov 17, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #4,397 of 6,140
Well, I still choose between the V30 and onkyo granbeat, with granbeat I can use my 6 driver IEM in balanced mode.
If I go with the V30 I should also consider more simple IEM. So I was thinking of maybe X12i (single driver) but you say that the X20i is a good match with the V30, will take it into consideration. Thank you.

Nov 17, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #4,398 of 6,140
It would be so nice from LG, if they would give us a choice, which mode to use. Now I must use extension cable, which adds 2 more connectors, chip cable and 2 more solder joints in series with headphones.
4 DACs means 2 times lower DACs random errors ( noise ). Amplifier, which follows it, would also have 4 times lower gain for the same output level. Again, 4 times less amplifying it's input errors( noise, THD...).
Thank you for G7 measurements.

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #4,399 of 6,140
It would be so nice from LG, if they would give us a choice, which mode to use.
Yes, this is weird from the beginning. The whole idea to make it automatic. This is because LG is just a consumer electronics company and they don't know much about audiophiles)

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #4,402 of 6,140
Yes, this is weird from the beginning. The whole idea to make it automatic. This is because LG is just and consumer electronics company and they don't know much about audiophiles)

That may indeed be the reason on LG's part, but I'm not so sure. They did add the ESS DAC and keep the HP port after all, which they wouldn't have done if all they were looking for were broad consumer appeal.

I definitely think legal concerns must have weighed big: Lawyers worried about lawsuits from hearing damaged users. But I think maybe they also realized users would always go for the "Big Number" if given the option, and always choose HIM regardless of the circumstances, whereas LG's engineers genuinely believe that many users are better off staying with Hi-Fi (Normal) mode.

Don't get me wrong: It irritates me as well not to have the choice. But I am not sure it was purely a mindless oversight on LG's part.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #4,403 of 6,140
If you are doing it LG, go all the way. It is not about volume, it is about quality. That is way I bought LG. It is as easy to make all 4 DACs running all the time and make a volume limit based on the impedance.

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #4,404 of 6,140
and the impedance is nothing without the sensetivity, my planar-magnetic hp are 13 ohms but you need to have a power station to drive them properly), so making the switch at 50 ohm does not make a lot of sense anyway,

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #4,406 of 6,140
It is as easy to make all 4 DACs running all the time and make a volume limit based on the impedance.

You are absolutely right, they could have implemented the protection part purely with volume control. And they should have. Which leads me to believe they had other reasons -- unless we assume they're brainless idiots, of which I am skeptical.

and the impedance is nothing without the sensetivity, my planar-magnetic hp are 13 ohms but you need to have a power station to drive them properly), so making the switch at 50 ohm does not make a lot of sense anyway,

Yeah, planars are the big oversight for sure, and the main argument why maybe they (LG) are just brainless after all :hushed:

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #4,407 of 6,140
It would be so nice from LG, if they would give us a choice, which mode to use. Now I must use extension cable, which adds 2 more connectors, chip cable and 2 more solder joints in series with headphones.
4 DACs means 2 times lower DACs random errors ( noise ). Amplifier, which follows it, would also have 4 times lower gain for the same output level. Again, 4 times less amplifying it's input errors( noise, THD...).
Thank you for G7 measurements.

I've purchased a 75 ohm impedance adapter which I will keep it attached permenantely to my SHP9500. This hopefully makes things easier. I however don't know if that will change the sound of a headphone.

Nov 18, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #4,409 of 6,140
I have an option right now to give up my Lg v30 and switch to a Exynos Note 9 for my all in one device and a replacement for my audiophile music needs. To let everyone I value pure sound quality over all the features that the note 9 currently has. Am I making a mistake? Someone please talk me out of it if it's a backwards move. Thanks

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #4,410 of 6,140
I have an option right now to give up my Lg v30 and switch to a Exynos Note 9 for my all in one device and a replacement for my audiophile music needs. To let everyone I value pure sound quality over all the features that the note 9 currently has. Am I making a mistake? Someone please talk me out of it if it's a backwards move. Thanks

Audio-wise, it's a big mistake.

Phone-wise, it's definite step up, although apart from the S-Pen functions the V30 can do everything the Note 9 can. The N9 is faster, but I doubt anyone can truly tell the difference in day-to-day usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back