LG V30
Feb 11, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #2,416 of 6,140
Just to be clear, I was only talking about the form factor. Compared to the V30, the V20 has no IP68 waterproof rating, it's also heavier and quite a lot bigger, despite having a smaller screen area: (body size = 159.7mm x 78.1mm for the V20, vs 151.7mm x 75.4mm for the V30). The V30 is already at or beyond the limit for me to comfortably use one-handed.

The G6 does have IP68, and your measurements are a little off: https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/high-end-smartphones/lg-g6-vs-lg-v30-3663425/

There isn't much in it to argue about but the G6 is narrower if that helps it fit in your hand.

I'm tempted by the V30, but there is not enough to upgrade. Not now I've put 400GB card in it.

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #2,417 of 6,140
The G6 does have IP68, and your measurements are a little off: https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/high-end-smartphones/lg-g6-vs-lg-v30-3663425/

There isn't much in it to argue about but the G6 is narrower if that helps it fit in your hand.

I'm tempted by the V30, but there is not enough to upgrade. Not now I've put 400GB card in it.
I wasn't comparing with the G6. I was comparing with the V20.

P.S. I don't see how your purchase of a 400 Gb card is relevant to any of this discussion. All these phones have microSD card slots.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #2,418 of 6,140
I wasn't comparing with the G6. I was comparing with the V20.

P.S. I don't see how your purchase of a 400 Gb card is relevant to any of this discussion. All these phones have microSD card slots.

My apologies. I missed that hopping threads. The V30 is offering larger memory options than my V20 and G6, which would have been attractive, but the new card has covered that.

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #2,419 of 6,140
sorry, one question: lg v30+ has the same dimension, only more memory? thank you

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #2,420 of 6,140
One area where the V30 is considerably better than the V20 or G6 is battery life. Here the oled screen helps considerably. I run mine at 75 percent brightness & can run all day even watching videos online up to 6.5 hours. At 75 percent I can view the screen in any light except direct sunlight without risk of burn in even outside on a sunny day.

Feb 11, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #2,421 of 6,140
Feb 11, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #2,422 of 6,140
One area where the V30 is considerably better than the V20 or G6 is battery life. Here the oled screen helps considerably. I run mine at 75 percent brightness & can run all day even watching videos online up to 6.5 hours. At 75 percent I can view the screen in any light except direct sunlight without risk of burn in even outside on a sunny day.

Completely agree!!! This battery performance is incredible. I thought I would miss the replaceable batteries of my G5, but I have yet to be concerned about battery life in a day of use since acquiring it. In fact, I think I spent more time worrying about batteries when they were replaceable. And if I forgot a spare, I could be toast by noon... It's really a game changer in my experience!

Feb 11, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #2,423 of 6,140
Completely agree!!! This battery performance is incredible. I thought I would miss the replaceable batteries of my G5, but I have yet to be concerned about battery life in a day of use since acquiring it. In fact, I think I spent more time worrying about batteries when they were replaceable. And if I forgot a spare, I could be toast by noon... It's really a game changer in my experience!
Definitely. While if you go all the way down, you can't simply put in a new battery. It's very rare that i get that low. I typically don't charge over night just to extend long term battery life. I have plenty for the morning and charge up quickly at work.

In other words, i rarely worry about the battery.

Feb 11, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #2,424 of 6,140

I tested the V30 last weekend, and now this weekend the G6 (EU version, without quad DAC). For the time being, I decided to go for the G6. My main reasons are price (G6 is half the price of the V30 here), form factor (I prefer the narrower G6), better bluetooth A2DP implementation (less noisy with aptX, no bass roll-off with aptX HD) and the fact that to my ears, the quad DAC isn't head and shoulders better than the onboard DAC (unless you need more output power for full-sized headphones).

I'm mostly an IEM user, so output power isn't much of a concern. Plus, I can just use an external DAC at home, if I want to retrieve the very last bit of sound quality. I'm pretty sure the V30's bluetooth issues could be solved in a future software upgrade, and that would make it an overall better phone than the G6. But as things are now, the tradeoff in wireless SQ on the V30 is more significant to me than its edge over the G6 in wired SQ.

Feb 11, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #2,425 of 6,140
This is because the main benefit of removable batteries is not about swapping them (cumbersome because you have to switch off/on).

Major benefit is to be able to change the battery when it is over 300 cycles because it will be half dead by then, and to be honest, LG batteries are far from being as durable as Sony batteries for instance. Last time I had to change a non-removable battery on an IP68 phone, it was pretty annoying to say the least... LG V30, as the latest Samsung flagships, is a bloody glue sandwich, so good luck changing the battery.

Secondary benefit is to be able to have access to bigger batteries when you know you'll be on the go, although portable batteries have helped in this regard. There are a couple of companies producing reliable larger batteries along with nice-looking customized backcovers. I travel a lot for my work, and this has helped me a lot to have double or triple capacity batteries.
But I guess that most people living an urban life won't care, obviously, because companies have redefined "a day" as less than 12 hours, and the current rule of "let's go for aesthetics and screw the rest" prevents them from proposing bigger batteries, because it has become a crime to have a phone thicker than 6-7mm...

And they are too greedy to implement next gen batteries even on flagships because hey, Li-ion is so cheap. And it's much nicer to have people buy a new 1 k$ phone every year because their 10$ battery was non-removable and crapped out after 500 cycles. Polymer-ion batteries have been ready for 5 years and are still barely used because they still cost twice the price of Li-ion. Twice the price for a flagship phone is peanuts, and yet...

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #2,426 of 6,140
New LG v30+ user here. I am, for the most part, enjoying the new phone. One thing I have noticed is the volume output of the LG v30 for things like youtube music videos or online radio stations sound noticeably lower than say my Lumia 950xl or my ipod touch 6gen. I have tried Beyerdynamic dt 1990s, Master & Dynamic MH40s, mee audio m6 pros and they all sound noticeable lower on the LG v30. I also find the bass is weaker or sloppier vs the other two. I am aware loud volume is bad for your ears and that's not what I am trying to accomplish. I just would have liked the same amount of head room the other two devices have when I listen to music that was recorded at lower volumes. I have also tried the plugging the headphone cable (detached from the headphone) on the phone first and then to the headphone but I don't notice a bump in volume. Has anyone else noticed this issue with their phone?

Feb 16, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #2,427 of 6,140
New LG v30+ user here. I am, for the most part, enjoying the new phone. One thing I have noticed is the volume output of the LG v30 for things like youtube music videos or online radio stations sound noticeably lower than say my Lumia 950xl or my ipod touch 6gen. I have tried Beyerdynamic dt 1990s, Master & Dynamic MH40s, mee audio m6 pros and they all sound noticeable lower on the LG v30. I also find the bass is weaker or sloppier vs the other two. I am aware loud volume is bad for your ears and that's not what I am trying to accomplish. I just would have liked the same amount of head room the other two devices have when I listen to music that was recorded at lower volumes. I have also tried the plugging the headphone cable (detached from the headphone) on the phone first and then to the headphone but I don't notice a bump in volume. Has anyone else noticed this issue with their phone?

Welcome to the club :)

Sorry if this is too obvious a question, but have you activated the quad DAC in the settings?

Feb 16, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #2,428 of 6,140
Via the drop down setting, yes. I have long pressed the icon to go to the Quad Dac settings section as well. Should there be a prompt telling you if it is activating high gain when you plug in high impedance headphones or plug the cable into the phone first then the headphone? I ask because I don't see anything happening. I have toggled the hifi dac icon while playing music and while there is a quality and volume difference, both modes are noticeable lower than previous mobile devices used.

Feb 16, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #2,429 of 6,140
Via the drop down setting, yes. I have long pressed the icon to go to the Quad Dac settings section as well. Should there be a prompt telling you if it is activating high gain when you plug in high impedance headphones or plug the cable into the phone first then the headphone? I ask because I don't see anything happening. I have toggled the hifi dac icon while playing music and while there is a quality and volume difference, both modes are noticeable lower than previous mobile devices used.

Whether you see a report of the output mode (normal device, external device or high-impedance device) depends on your carrier. But the audio effect should be the same in each case. It sounds like your phone is faulty. Can you test it against another V30 in the store where you purchased it?

Feb 16, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #2,430 of 6,140
Whether you see a report of the output mode (normal device, external device or high-impedance device) depends on your carrier. But the audio effect should be the same in each case. It sounds like your phone is faulty. Can you test it against another V30 in the store where you purchased it?
I bought it new online. It think it's a Hong Kong version (will check the packaging when I get home).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back