LG V30
Feb 17, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #2,446 of 6,140
Welcome to (almost being in) the V30 owners' club :beerchug: You won't regret it. It's an awesome device.

For an adapter, check out the first spoiler link in the post below:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/

This will only trigger external device mode, but you can trigger high-impedance mode by simply plugging something like a $5 set of VE Monk buds into the adapter first, then (after plugging the other end into your V30) unplugging the Monk buds from the adapter and plugging in your preferred headphones.
Hey, thanks for the suggestion! But I wish it was shorter, something like those usb-c to 3.5mm audio dongles, kind of inconvenient to carry that thing around AND a second pair of buds with me :D
Not like I have a real use for high impedance mode - most of my HPs/IEMs are quite sensitive but It would be nice to have the option if I need it one day.

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #2,447 of 6,140
Feb 19, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #2,449 of 6,140
Does the QuadDac on this phone function with external app players? Specifically, if someone could test MediaMonkey that would be much appreciated. If you have any other suggestions of something to use like MediaMonkey that would work with this phone's QuadDac that would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

I've searched everywhere and can't find much about apps like MediaMonkey, everyone seems to use streaming services or an app that doesn't support recording playcounts/smart playlists.

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #2,450 of 6,140
Does the QuadDac on this phone function with external app players? Specifically, if someone could test MediaMonkey that would be much appreciated. If you have any other suggestions of something to use like MediaMonkey that would work with this phone's QuadDac that would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

I've searched everywhere and can't find much about apps like MediaMonkey, everyone seems to use streaming services or an app that doesn't support recording playcounts/smart playlists.
Tha Quad Dac operates like any other dac in a smartphone in that it will play anything on the phone.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #2,452 of 6,140

Thanks!

As @cardeli22 says, everything will go through the quad DAC. That's the good news :)
The bad news is most music apps don't respect the standard 44 kHz sample rate of 16-bit files. You can read more here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/

Unfortunately, I've confirmed that MediaMonkey belongs to the long list of apps that up-sample 44/16 files. Whether you hear the associated artifacts or not will depend on your ears and the sensitivity/impedance of your headphones. For high-impedance headphones, you probably don't need to worry.

P.S. Hi-res files (if they play) will also be re-sampled to 48 kHz.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #2,453 of 6,140
As @cardeli22 says, everything will go through the quad DAC. That's the good news :)
The bad news is most music apps don't respect the standard 44 kHz sample rate of 16-bit files. You can read more here:

Unfortunately, I've confirmed that MediaMonkey belongs to the long list of apps that up-sample 44/16 files. Whether you hear the associated artifacts or not will depend on your ears and the sensitivity/impedance of your headphones. For high-impedance headphones, you probably don't need to worry.

P.S. Hi-res files (if they play) will also be re-sampled to 48 kHz.

That's very saddening.
Is it still worth getting a phone like this to play my music if I can only use MediaMonkey?
Will the DAC in other devices like the fiio X5 work with MediaMonkey?

Are there any Media management solutions like MediaMonkey that will work across my Android/Windows devices? It seriously feels like I'm alone in needing a Library manager that records things like playcounts. It seems like every device is completely dedicated to music, or puts music as a sideshow.
I'm finding this very confusing to get a DAP that works with a media library manager. I feel like I'm just stuck with itunes.

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #2,454 of 6,140
That's very saddening.
Is it still worth getting a phone like this to play my music if I can only use MediaMonkey?

Are there any Media management solutions like MediaMonkey that will work across my Android/Windows devices? It seriously feels like I'm alone in needing a Library manager that records things like playcounts. It seems like every device is completely dedicated to music, or puts music as a sideshow.
I'm finding this very confusing to get a DAP that works with a media library manager. I feel like I'm just stuck with itunes.

I dont know what benefits getting from using mediamonkey. If you want to use upnp with bit perfect, consider neutron music app.

Feb 20, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #2,455 of 6,140
That's very saddening.

What headphones do you have and what type (format) format of music files do you listen to? If you have high-impedance headphones and 256 vbr AAC Apple files, you may be fine with the V30.

I used to use iTunes, back in the day when Apple's software wasn't the horrible mess it is today. When I saw the writing on the wall with Apple, I started curating my own music library. Folders for each artist, with sub-folders (sub-directories) for each album. Embedded artwork and a cover.jpg file in each directory, and once copied onto a microSD card, I can easily navigate my library from any app on any DAP or phone. Relying on curation/library-manager software is a faster solution, but error-prone in the long run, i.e., it can fail when you have compilation albums, or folder contents with different album artists or composers. If I were you, I'd break the shackles of both iTunes and MediaMonkey. It would be worth it in the long run. However, I don't know which apps have a playcount feature - that's something I've never used. Maybe others can help out here?

If you insist on using MediaMonkey, then FiiO's Android DAPs should be able to handle your files without re-sampling. But there's no free lunch - FiiO's Android DAPs are a bit buggy and aren't as smooth to navigate as the V30. Also, the X5iii amp has a bit of noise floor. To get something that sounds as good as (or better than) the V30, I'd recommend you look at the X7 mark ii.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #2,456 of 6,140
for those of you in Canada that want a cheap option to trick the V30 into high impediance mode i just bought a pair of earbuds from the dollar tree for $1.00 they are 32ohms but trick the V30 almost every time you will need a headphone splitter as well

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #2,457 of 6,140
I dont know what benefits getting from using mediamonkey. If you want to use upnp with bit perfect, consider neutron music app.
I use smart playlists. Most of the player apps I find are great at playing music, but don't do much for keeping data like playcounts, last played date, etc. which is what I like to use itunes for. I want to switch to MediaMonkey since I want to leave Apple. I'm tired of buying old apple products.

Example: I'll throw Top 250 played on when I just want to listen to my favorite tracks. I'l listen to a certain Genre(Not really genre, more my own custom organization though) playlist that I've created other times. Sometimes, I'll set criteria for a track to be on multiple custom play lists, have a certain play count level, and have been played within the last year. So it's really key for how I create/listen to music, but I realize that I'm in the minority in this regard.
Example2: When I upgrade my DAP, I have lots of files that are subpar quality. I don't want to update files I don't listen to. I'd set a criteria of playcount minimum 5 of something, then focus my efforts on updating those files to FLAC. It's just how I work.

What headphones do you have and what type (format) format of music files do you listen to? If you have high-impedance headphones and 256 vbr AAC Apple files, you may be fine with the V30.

I used to use iTunes, back in the day when Apple's software wasn't the horrible mess it is today. When I saw the writing on the wall with Apple, I started curating my own music library. Folders for each artist, with sub-folders (sub-directories) for each album. Embedded artwork and a cover.jpg file in each directory, and once copied onto a microSD card, I can easily navigate my library from any app on any DAP or phone. Relying on curation/library-manager software is a faster solution, but error-prone in the long run, i.e., it can fail when you have compilation albums, or folder contents with different album artists or composers. If I were you, I'd break the shackles of both iTunes and MediaMonkey. It would be worth it in the long run. However, I don't know which apps have a playcount feature - that's something I've never used. Maybe others can help out here?

If you insist on using MediaMonkey, then FiiO's Android DAPs should be able to handle your files without re-sampling. But there's no free lunch - FiiO's Android DAPs are a bit buggy and aren't as smooth to navigate as the V30. Also, the X5iii amp has a bit of noise floor. To get something that sounds as good as (or better than) the V30, I'd recommend you look at the X7 mark ii.

I understand this is big among the community. From my reading, it seems people enjoy creating their own library folder organization. I do not enjoy this at all, and don't browse my media this way.

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean when you say a curation/library manager may "fail" with folder contents, since that's the back end of the manager that I never ever see. I guess that would matter for those who copy folders to a DAP though since from my understanding, many DAPs it matters the folder structure. It would be a step backwards for me since organizing my media in folders would provide 0 benefit for me since I never have navigated my music through folders once (I just drag and drop it into my itunes which organizes it in the backend but I always play through itunes/sync to a device) and I would also lose out on PlayCount, Last Played, etc. features.

I do insist on using MediaMonkey (or a similar style library manager). Without keeping my playcounts of tracks organized, I never remember what I've listened to. I just need a library organizer.
My Headphones are chinese IEMs, but I'd buy another one with my DAP purchase.(Probably whatever IEM is recommended under$100, and then 5 of something recommended under $20)

On the FiiO note, I understand that. That's why I didn't want to go FiiO and wanted to get the LGV30. However, what makes the FiiO different when using MediaMonkey vs the LGV30 since they're both Android based DAPs?

I can get the LGV30 for ~$400 or the FiiO X5 + Moto X4 for $500.

I'm just confused about why MediaMonkey/other Android Apps would work with the DAC better on the FiiO? Is it because there is no conflict with other parts or something? There definitely isn't a free lunch haha. I'm understanding that more and more. I don't want to hinder my ability to improve my SQ though.

As for my file types. Currently, all MP3, mostly 320, but a lot are lower too. However, once I purchase this DAP, I intend on only acquiring FLAC files/high quality files as much as possible. Also intend to fix my library and update it as much as possible to take advantage of my headphones / hometheater system.

If it were you:
Resample through Media Monkey on V30 or Fiio X5iii with media monkey?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #2,458 of 6,140
i have no idea what media monkey is but i am currently selling my fiio x5iii along with the a5 and q1 mark 2 amps and sticking with the V30 - it is a much bigger / better quality screen with better battery life and the sound quality to me is about the same as the x5iii

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #2,459 of 6,140
i have no idea what media monkey is but i am currently selling my fiio x5iii along with the a5 and q1 mark 2 amps and sticking with the V30 - it is a much bigger / better quality screen with better battery life and the sound quality to me is about the same as the x5iii
MediaMonkey is an Android player App for playing Music. If you wouldn't mind confirming that the app takes full advantage of your FiiO X5iii that'd be much appreciated.
The LGV30 gets put up there with very expensive DAPs, and since I can get the LGV30 for $400, it's very very enticing, but I wouldn't want to cripple my maximum quality I can get out of my device. If I just have to buy a dedicated Android based DAP to get what I need, well, at least I know that's what I have to do. Like @csglinux said, there is no free lunch, I may just have to pay a lot more to get the same performance ya'll are enjoying on the LGV30, without the bigger/better quality screen and battery life. :frowning2:

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #2,460 of 6,140
I understand this is big among the community. From my reading, it seems people enjoy creating their own library folder organization. I do not enjoy this at all, and don't browse my media this way.

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you mean when you say a curation/library manager may "fail" with folder contents, since that's the back end of the manager that I never ever see. I guess that would matter for those who copy folders to a DAP though since from my understanding, many DAPs it matters the folder structure. It would be a step backwards for me since organizing my media in folders would provide 0 benefit for me since I never have navigated my music through folders once (I just drag and drop it into my itunes which organizes it in the backend but I always play through itunes/sync to a device) and I would also lose out on PlayCount, Last Played, etc. features.

I do insist on using MediaMonkey (or a similar style library manager). Without keeping my playcounts of tracks organized, I never remember what I've listened to. I just need a library organizer.
My Headphones are chinese IEMs, but I'd buy another one with my DAP purchase.

On the FiiO note, I understand that. That's why I didn't want to go FiiO and wanted to get the LGV30. However, what makes the FiiO different when using MediaMonkey vs the LGV30 since they're both Android based DAPs?

I can get the LGV30 for ~$400 or the FiiO X5 + Moto X4 for $500.

I'm just confused about why MediaMonkey/other Android Apps would work with the DAC better on the FiiO? Is it because there is no conflict with other parts or something? There definitely isn't a free lunch haha. I'm understanding that more and more. I don't want to hinder my ability to improve my SQ though.

As for my file types. Currently, all MP3, mostly 320, but a lot are lower too. However, once I purchase this DAP, I intend on only acquiring FLAC files/high quality files as much as possible. Also intend to fix my library and update it as much as possible to take advantage of my headphones / hometheater system.

If it were you:
Resample through Media Monkey on V30 or Fiio X5iii with media monkey?

Phew. Lots of questions. I'll do my best to help...

The "failure" of the curation/library manager typically looks like this: a failure to completely scan your library, or the scan will complete, but you'll find you have some missing album artwork, or you can't find a particular track from one album, because it shows up somewhere else, or not at all, or track titles, numbers, aren't displayed properly, etc. If you've never experienced this, perhaps you have a limited library where most of your content was purchased directly through the iTunes store? Most of us want more flexibility than that, because for one thing, iTunes purchases max out at 256 vbr AAC; Apple still don't offer lossless downloads. If iTunes/MediaMonkey haven't given you problems yet, it's only a matter of time... :wink: I absolutely 100% feel your pain in not wanting to curate your own library by folders. My entire music collection took a period of weeks to assemble like this, ripping from CD (and verifying and correcting via accurip). I promise that once it's done, it is not a step backwards! Because every DAP I've ever seen can happily navigate via folders. You don't have to do this to use a V30 (LG's native music app and most 3rd party music apps will also attempt to organize your library into categories). For me, manual folder organization was absolutely worth it, but I get why others want to just buy an iPhone X and live with a dongle and take the hit on the sound quality.

I've never kept a track of which apps have a playcount feature, because I've never used (and don't have a need of) such a feature. (FiiO's native music app has a "Most Played" section, but I don't see any play count.) Anybody else have any suggestions here?

MediaMonkey on FiiO would be different from MediaMonkey on the V30 because FiiO's DAPs can natively send all PCM tracks through FiiO's DAC hardware without any re-sampling. However, that doesn't mean the X5iii's overall SQ is going to be superior. The X5iii has a fairly noisy amp and I wouldn't consider it a step-up in SQ and it's definitely not a step-up in terms of the UI. FiiO's DAPs use an older version of Android, slower CPUs, smaller, lower-res screens. For the prices you quoted, the V30 would be the obvious choice for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back