LG V30
Oct 21, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #601 of 6,140
My phone comfortably driving my HD800S! :)

Capture+_2017-10-21-08-28-40-1.png

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #604 of 6,140
As much as I hate Apple, I have to give credit where it's due. They did a marvelous engineering job on that stupid dongle. They were able to put a very respectable DAC and amp into a teeny tiny $9 adapter, no bigger than the size of a lightning plug. It just shows what a large phone manufacturing company can do when producing and selling in large numbers. Irrespective of SQ, most modern smartphones have a form factor, UI and software QC that is years ahead of that from any current DAP manufacturer. I love the idea that Onkyo took a shot at this, but I can only imagine what other kinds of wonderful-sounding phones might exist if only companies like Apple and Google actually gave a crap about audio, instead of trying to just trap existing customers even more securely into their respective walled gardens. I hope they try, but I think it's going to be close.to impossible for any DAP manufacturer to catch up with the likes of LG.
If google created audiophile quality phones they would kill the competition. I would definitely buy google because they get the quickest updates and rooting is a given with no bloatware.

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #606 of 6,140
If google created audiophile quality phones they would kill the competition. I would definitely buy google because they get the quickest updates and rooting is a given with no bloatware.
People need to vote with their wallets and not buy phones that require you to carry silly dongles.

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #607 of 6,140

If the Pixel had an aux and good audio I'd have one right now no questions asked.

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #611 of 6,140
Not trolling but I forgot to mention the obvious
what you said is true, purely for audio the v20 is a better buy. But if your looking for a complete phone that has all the bells and whistles, then the v30 can not be beat. I believe they now have a true TOTL phone to compete with the big 3. I just wish they would put some money into advertising it. I want them to sell a **** ton of these things so they can keep on producing this line of phones.
Not trolling but I forgot to mention the obvious:

v20 with viper4android audio is much better than v30 without v4a.

v30 definitely doesn't seem to be a huge upgrade because you also lose:
1. ir blaster for controlling flat screen tv
2. 2nd screen
3. removable battery

All for the privilege of paying 3 times the cost of the v20.

Edit:

IMHO Lg spent the year making their phone similar to compete with Samsung and Apple vs improving on what they were already doing right. Because they really don't have a lot of competition in the audio for phones department.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #612 of 6,140
Oct 21, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #613 of 6,140
HUGE difference.

Frankly, the G6 was garbage in comparison. The G5 was better with its B&O play attachment.

Aside from the updated hardware, they are obviously essentially the same phone... so if you like the 6 but want better audio, the 30 is a great choice in my opinion. I like it as much as ANY DAP I've heard.
Do you have a G5 with B&O module? should i get the module for my g5 or fiio e17k?
and is fast charging working when the module is attached?
Thanks

Oct 21, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #614 of 6,140
Ha ha ha another short coming of v30.

Nice marketing, but good luck finding mqa files :dt880smile:

Seems you may be mildly trolling. How can an *added* feature be the sign of a shortcoming? :)

MQA is a hornet's nest of digital possibilities, but at least the V30 has a decoding chip. Aside from that, is has the ESS Quad DAC. If MQA gains greater ubiquity, the V30 will be ready. If not, it is still streets ahead of the competition in audio playback.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #615 of 6,140
Not trolling but I forgot to mention the obvious

Not trolling but I forgot to mention the obvious:

v20 with viper4android audio is much better than v30 without v4a.

v30 definitely doesn't seem to be a huge upgrade because you also lose:
1. ir blaster for controlling flat screen tv
2. 2nd screen
3. removable battery

All for the privilege of paying 3 times the cost of the v20.

"Better" is almost always subjective.

FWIW...
1) Don't care about an IR blaster. How many people are still using IR remotes these days?
2) Never liked the 2nd screen or form factor of the V20.
3) With battery life like I get with the V30 (and fast charging), I'd much rather have the IP68 water/dust proofing.

Oh, and 4) V4A just isn't essential. I (like I'm sure most people do) choose headphones that give the FR I want and then I'm good to go for most sources. I almost never use EQ.
I've used V4A before, plus a ton of Viper effects that are baked into the FiiO Android DAPs (that don't even require root). They're a lot of fun, but after the novelty wore off, I never touched them again. Not having Viper simply wouldn't be a deal breaker for 99% of the population.

It certainly does seem somewhat like borderline-trolling. I get that you're disappointed with the V30. So why not go hang out on the V20 thread? I think you'd feel happier if you did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back