LG V30
Oct 21, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #586 of 6,140
True a better totl phone no doubt BUT

As someone posted before, remember when HTC was the goto phone for audio? Now people go to LG. Consequently, HTC has been taking a beating because they lost their core audience while focusing on other bells and whistles. Afraid the same may happen to LG if they don't focus on their core audience.

Lets not forget we lost the removable battery and second screen also.

HTC took a beating because they made their One line completely uninspiring.

Don't forget, the V series isn't LG's flagship line, that's the G.

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #587 of 6,140
As much as I hate Apple, I have to give credit where it's due. They did a marvelous engineering job on that stupid dongle. They were able to put a very respectable DAC and amp into a teeny tiny $9 adapter, no bigger than the size of a lightning plug. It just shows what a large phone manufacturing company can do when producing and selling in large numbers. Irrespective of SQ, most modern smartphones have a form factor, UI and software QC that is years ahead of that from any current DAP manufacturer. I love the idea that Onkyo took a shot at this, but I can only imagine what other kinds of wonderful-sounding phones might exist if only companies like Apple and Google actually gave a crap about audio, instead of trying to just trap existing customers even more securely into their respective walled gardens. I hope they try, but I think it's going to be close.to impossible for any DAP manufacturer to catch up with the likes of LG.
I can only tolerate listening to the Apple adapter while walking or traveling or such. But you are right in that for its size, cost and the fact that its just an accessory its pretty nice.

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #588 of 6,140
The $9 adapter functions. That's about all you can say about it. I've heard it. I sure as hell would not put up with it as a primary way of listening.

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #589 of 6,140
I can only tolerate listening to the Apple adapter while walking or traveling or such. But you are right in that for its size, cost and the fact that its just an accessory its pretty nice.

And this is how smartphone killed many digital camera model.

While 9-buck adapter can never be considered totl, its combined factor of price, convenience, and iPhone name makes it very attractive to the masses.

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #590 of 6,140
Battery on the V30 while listening to music is incredible actually... Last night I ran it at full volume to my stereo and it used four percent... In nine hours.

And the do not disturb button on any smartphone is infinitely easy to use so I'm not understanding your gripe there.

And how many of the DAPs with better audio quality have removable memory?... You can put a 2TB SD card in the V30.

Plus the fact this it is indeed still a phone means you can stream high-res music without Wi-Fi... I don't think any DAPs can do that.
And this is how smartphone killed many digital camera model.

While 9-buck adapter can never be considered totl, its combined factor of price, convenience, and iPhone name makes it very attractive to the masses.
Convenience? Lol

Oct 21, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #591 of 6,140
Definitely having an issue with volume. My Pinnacle P1 I can listen to at full 75 on the volume slider and it's not too high.
What cell service provider?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #595 of 6,140
T-Mo. I did notice earlier in the thread people mentioning a lack of indicator concerning what impedance level on this variant for some reason.
Yep... I was thinking you had T-Mobile when I saw your post. XDA had a thread talking about it as well. Not sure if it is crippled. It sounds great it just doesn't respond to the different impedance. I tried to force it and nothing.

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #596 of 6,140
Definitely having an issue with volume. My Pinnacle P1 I can listen to at full 75 on the volume slider and it's not too high.

Do u have a European V30? I know the EU limits the output power of iPhones. I presume that law must apply to other phones too? (Which is a bit draconian, given they have no idea what the sensitivity is of the headphones you're going to be driving.)

If you're not in Europe, it sounds like there's something wrong. P1 at full volume on my V30 =
I'd have no eardrums left.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #597 of 6,140
Yep... I was thinking you had T-Mobile when I saw your post. XDA had a thread talking about it as well. Not sure if it is crippled. It sounds great it just doesn't respond to the different impedance. I tried to force it and nothing.

I really don't understand why they would hamstring the Quad-DAC on one carrier specifically. It's seriously baffling.

Oct 21, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #598 of 6,140
Oh yes it was. Go back and look at your post. Item 2 (50% of your critique) was your inability to run V4A - which requires root.

The other 50% of your critique was that the V30 doesn't sound substantially better than the V20. (Can't comment on that, as I've never heard the V20 - I didn't like its form factor or its 2nd screen.) I'd love the V30 to sound better than my Hugo 2, but one has to have realistic expectations. I'm sure one day such a phone will exist. From my brief listening so far, I would rank the V30 as follows for SQ/listening enjoyment:

Hugo 2 > QP1R > X7ii > X7 > LG V30 >= X1ii > Shanling M1

The X1ii is an awesome-sounding DAP, so this is still fantastic for a phone. I understand it might not be good enough for everybody and I'm sure LG will survive if you pass on this one. Personally, I think you'd be missing out on the best Android phone currently on the market. Actually, I think you'd be missing out on the best phone currently on the market.

But if you have to have root and/or substantially better sound quality, the simple solution would seem to be for you not to buy the V30?
No root wasn't my critique because I can just wait for the unlocked version.

I said the new dsp or eq settings is nothing but a baby version of v4a. So most people who don't root think it's a big deal but people with v4a like nice but not that impressed with audio filtering. Although i might still use the audio filtering with v4a.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back