LG V30
Oct 21, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #616 of 6,140
Not trolling but I forgot to mention the obvious

Not trolling but I forgot to mention the obvious:

v20 with viper4android audio is much better than v30 without v4a.

v30 definitely doesn't seem to be a huge upgrade because you also lose:
1. ir blaster for controlling flat screen tv
2. 2nd screen
3. removable battery

All for the privilege of paying 3 times the cost of the v20.

Edit:

IMHO Lg spent the year making their phone similar to compete with Samsung and Apple vs improving on what they were already doing right. Because they really don't have a lot of competition in the audio for phones department.

Uh.

I really hate it when people talk about using one device with a universally available app versus one without. It's not even a remotely fair comparison at that point.

Oct 21, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #617 of 6,140
"Better" is almost always subjective.

FWIW...

3) With battery life like I get with the V30 (and fast charging), I'd much rather have the IP68 water/dust proofing.

I see your point, Even when most phones had a removable battery I never used spare batteries, its just another thing to carry with you, and nowadays there's plenty of great power banks as well. The problem arises when the original battery starts to deteriorate, for me it happened after 1 year of usage on my previous phone (S7 Edge), It didn't last a full day at work. But after looking at a battery removal guide for the V30 it isn't too difficult considering you only have to do it once (maybe more if you keep it longer).

Oct 21, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #619 of 6,140
"Better" is almost always subjective.

FWIW...
1) Don't care about an IR blaster. How many people are still using IR remotes these days?
2) Never liked the 2nd screen or form factor of the V20.
3) With battery life like I get with the V30 (and fast charging), I'd much rather have the IP68 water/dust proofing.

Oh, and 4) V4A just isn't essential. I (like I'm sure most people do) choose headphones that give the FR I want and then I'm good to go for most sources. I almost never use EQ.
I've used V4A before, plus a ton of Viper effects that are baked into the FiiO Android DAPs (that don't even require root). They're a lot of fun, but after the novelty wore off, I never touched them again. Not having Viper simply wouldn't be a deal breaker for 99% of the population.

It certainly does seem somewhat like borderline-trolling. I get that you're disappointed with the V30. So why not go hang out on the V20 thread? I think you'd feel happier if you did.
Not borderline trolling. The v30 sounds awesome, but not a huge improvement over last year.

I just want to make sure we look at things fair and not become fan boys.

Considering this is a forum where we place reviews. I feel people shouldn't be afraid to discuss what's good about it as well as what's bad about it and if it's worth the upgrade from v20 for 3 times the price.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #620 of 6,140
IMO
IR blaster its the only thing the only downside of the upgrade ( yes, I would like A LOT to use it for air conditioner, tv and remote for music player from pc or received of speakers)
You gonna like a lot the new bigger screen, cause you have a bigger amoled 18:9 screen ( the sense of second screen was that you was gonna use it to do things like watch notifications and to control music player without have the big screen draining the battery but now that you have an amoled screen you don't need anymore cause amoled with black background is like superpowersaving screen mode, for this reason all new android phones with amoled got the ALWAYS ON display).
You can't anymore change the battery but thanks to the new snapdragon you will use the phone A LOT more to discharge it, and when you will do it you can now recharge it in like an hour ( with a external battery to, so buy a fff*** ext battery) while have greater performance
I could continue but just **** dude... no sense cmon

Oct 21, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #621 of 6,140
Not borderline trolling. The v30 sounds awesome, but not a huge improvement over last year.

Considering this is a forum where we place reviews. I feel people shouldn't be afraid to discuss what's good about it as well as what's bad about it and if it's worth the upgrade from v20 for 3 times the price.

Fair enough - apart from the "3 times the price" argument. There's always a premium for any type of new equipment.
Who knows what state the battery would be in if you purchased a V20 now - even a "new" one. Or how long you'd continue to get useful software updates for it?

It's disappointing that we still have to get policed like this. I've always found it odd that we're not at liberty to have root access to our phones.
Nobody would buy a PC without admin/root access. It's weird how we've all accepted no-root-access as the de facto standard for phones.
About performance though - I can confirm what I read in reviews, that the V30 is faster and more responsive than the S8.

Oct 21, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #622 of 6,140

I agree that the audio quality probably isn't a HUGE upgrade (an assumption really, haven't actually heard it). With reports that the camera auto mode still kina bla, it's even harder to justify and I'm less motivated to do so. Still the filter intrigue me, the large screen in a more compact form factor is also appealing. Most of all the reported very god battery life is a BIG plus to me compared to the weak (to put it mildly) battery performance of my V20.

I can understand why someone would hold off upgrading or decide to get a far more affordable V20 than the V30, if audio performance is a main consideration. I'm going to wait a few months and see if and how prices drop before getting the V30.

Oct 21, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #623 of 6,140
Fair enough - apart from the "3 times the price" argument. There's always a premium for any type of new equipment.
Who knows what state the battery would be in if you purchased a V20 now - even a "new" one. Or how long you'd continue to get useful software updates for it?

True the V30 is likely to get updates longer than the V20 (by about a year). Still one of the reasons I recently pulled the trigger on a $310 V20 is because it was likely the last smartphone to have a Removable battery, IR blaster, HiFi DAC, and Micro SD card (will there be another device to offer all those features again?)... plus with the removable battery the V20 could move to the roll of a dedicated Android DAP for many many years.

Having said that, I still want a V30 :wink:

Oct 21, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #624 of 6,140
From my own personal opinion, V30 sq is so superb that even if there's difference in sq, the amount might not be so great to justify the price.

I have tried a number of standalone dap, and I find only the legendary qp1r is still worth to get, even if you have v30. Then again, hard to beat the sound coming from powerful current amplification.

Sony is another different matter. Its sound color is so unique, that those who love it, cannot find any comparison in any other dap or audiophile smartphone

I love the sony sound too.

Oct 21, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #625 of 6,140
I sold my DX200 long before the V30 was even announced. I didn't sell it because of the V30; I sold it because it was crap. It was lacking in top-end sparkle, had zero sub-bass and had limited functionality on account of no Google Play services support.

I'm going out to look at, possibly purchase, the V30 now. I intended to go earlier but I was laughing so hard at this comment my ribs began to hurt. Thanks for that. :)

Oct 21, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #626 of 6,140
Considering this is a forum where we place reviews. I feel people shouldn't be afraid to discuss what's good about it as well as what's bad about it...

Exactly right. I've noticed this on a couple of threads, folks can praise a product repeatedly and no one says anything. Then an alternate view comes up and people try to discourage it. On an unrelated thread, I even saw someone say a new reader could be discouraged from buying the product by the negativity!

We're all hear to share our thoughts, pro and con, positive and negative. As long as the posts are respectful, let both sides have their say.

Oct 21, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #627 of 6,140
Exactly right. I've noticed this on a couple of threads, folks can praise a product repeatedly and no one says anything. Then an alternate view comes up and people try to discourage it. On an unrelated thread, I even saw someone say a new reader could be discouraged from buying the product by the negativity!

We're all hear to share our thoughts, pro and con, positive and negative. As long as the posts are respectful, let both sides have their say.

Of course every one should have their say, positive or negative. But they should expect to be challenged where others see reason to do so!

Oct 21, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #628 of 6,140
Of course every one should have their say, positive or negative. But they should expect to be challenged where others see reason to do so!

Of course. But being told to ****, painted as trolling for expressing a reasonable opinion, or suggesting they find another thread to post on aren't reasonable responses. They're all meant to stifle a view.

As a consumer, I'd like to have all the opinions-not just the positive ones. As a matter of fact, you can often learn more from a negative opinion.

Oct 21, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #629 of 6,140
Of course. But being told to ****, painted as trolling for expressing a reasonable opinion, or suggesting they find another thread to post on aren't reasonable responses. They're all meant to stifle a view.

As a consumer, I'd like to have all the opinions-not just the positive ones. As a matter of fact, you can often learn more from a negative opinion.
+1

Oct 21, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #630 of 6,140
I'm interested in the V30...I do like the idea of a removable battery, but form has trumped function in the market regarding that. Having a decent dap/phone in one would be nice. Debating whether to pick this up now or wait for the price to drop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back