Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4
Apr 17, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #152 of 1,075

Honestly the UHA-4 is very slim as is. I know the arrow is even slimmer but I consider it very portable with my Sansa fuze. Its slightly bigger than the fuze to give you an idea of its size but not by much at all. It's not so big where people would think you're carrying a bomb lol. So far I am not disappointed with this amp at all. The amp section and the DAC outclass my Fiio E7 in every way and at a reasonable price. Still looking forward to the E11 and E17 though :wink:.

Thanks for comparing the E7 and this :D I was about to make a thread asking which one is better. Have to wait next week to order it for my tax money :p It seems I'm the only one that like the plain aluminum colour lol

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #154 of 1,075

Quote:
i wonder why the leckerton representatives never chime in in this thread. at least they can explain why they increased the price of all their line up, and take some feedback from head-fi members here to improve the product in the future

They can do the latter without the need to engage in the former.

Has it occurred to anyone what the impact of the Japanese disaster may have been on the worldwide electronics industry ? Sure, all that stuff is made in China, right ? Apparently not, particularly for companies that insist on using quality components. Leckerton, like a host of other boutique audio companies, is prone to changes in parts prices and changes in currency - the Yen is very strong against the US dollar atm, and it cant be helping. Be happy that the price increases werent higher.

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #155 of 1,075
They can do the latter without the need to engage in the former.

Has it occurred to anyone what the impact of the Japanese disaster may have been on the worldwide electronics industry ? Sure, all that stuff is made in China, right ? Apparently not, particularly for companies that insist on using quality components. Leckerton, like a host of other boutique audio companies, is prone to changes in parts prices and changes in currency - the Yen is very strong against the US dollar atm, and it cant be helping. Be happy that the price increases werent higher.

ThIs post presupposes that the increase is due to the japan situatuion anD not in response to increased popularity on this board. not that there is anything wrong with supply and demand but stating the cuase of the price increase without foundation is irresponsible. sorry for the tone but if you have info to base your statement on please let us know.

As an aside i would gladly pay more for a us made product...

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #156 of 1,075

Quote:
I have the silver aluminum and looks great. Not sure if the black is painted but there nothing on the silver to peel.

Cases are anodized, I gave them information on a place I know that does a VERY special kind of anodizing, I hope he uses them, pricey, but BEAUTIFUL!

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #158 of 1,075
I have ACTUALLY talked to the guy who runs Leckerton and he does not make that much on each sold. I asked him if he actually makes a profit from it during the lower price point for the UHA-4 but he said he makes minimal compared to the other amp makers. I am extremely surprised to see people getting all hot and bothered due to a 20(?) dollar increase. I don't see why 169 is not a fair price compared to a lot of other DAC/amps out there that are easily 200+ and don't have crossfeed or is not as thin and ESPECIALLY not made in america. If you think it's too much, just don't buy it. In my past 4 years on head-fi, I have never seen people complain so much over an inexpensive product that plenty of people have said that they would pay more for. 

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #159 of 1,075
My FIRST portable ("portable") headphone amp was my LISA III XP with the LLP, cost me a cool grand, after that all portable amps are a bargin.
I would also like to add that when the UHA-4 arrives I will be doing a full on (except for the DAC, I'm going to wait for the dac cable to be available for the arrow before I compare DACs) comparison to the Headstage Arrow 3g. I will be using the Etymotic Research ER-6 for IEM's do you think they are adequate? http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6-ts.aspx and HD650's for full sized cans.

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #160 of 1,075

Quote:
I have ACTUALLY talked to the guy who runs Leckerton and he does not make that much on each sold. I asked him if he actually makes a profit from it during the lower price point for the UHA-4 but he said he makes minimal compared to the other amp makers. I am extremely surprised to see people getting all hot and bothered due to a 20(?) dollar increase. I don't see why 169 is not a fair price compared to a lot of other DAC/amps out there that are easily 200+ and don't have crossfeed or is not as thin and ESPECIALLY not made in america. If you think it's too much, just don't buy it. In my past 4 years on head-fi, I have never seen people complain so much over an inexpensive product that plenty of people have said that they would pay more for. 

Sir, you underestimate our cheapskate ways, but I agree with you. If the amp is as good as people say it is, does a $20 price hike suddenly put it beyond one's reach ? Maybe - I guess thats a question for the people who have been bitching.

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #161 of 1,075
For the features, $179 is a bargain. I would gladly pay $200. Compare the price of the UHA-4 to other half-inch thick portable amps with crossfeed, variable gain, built-in DACs and digital volume controls. If there are any, that is.
It seems like Leckerton has really hit a home run with this one - hence I'm really interested. How's the sound signature - cold, warm, or neutral? The main gripe I have with my Icon Mobile is the accented treble.

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #162 of 1,075
while i like my amp and working on my comparative review with other portable amps i own... i understand why the price increased... nothing wrong with him money.... but no consumer is ever happy about a raise in price.... while other people are willing to pay 200 for it...then they should pay him 200 for it even when his asking price is 179.  

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #163 of 1,075

Quote:
For the features, $179 is a bargain. I would gladly pay $200. Compare the price of the UHA-4 to other half-inch thick portable amps with crossfeed, variable gain, built-in DACs and digital volume controls. If there are any, that is.

Good point - I have the iBasso T3 (and D4+P4, fwiw) - a good little amp for IEMs and quite tiny, but it doesnt have any functionality beyond its role as an amp. The T3 does have 3-way gain selection, but my model still had the analog potentiometer - no DAC or crossfeed. All Chinese from design to delivery, and it costs 119 USD - to my mind, the feature set on the UHA-4 stacks up very well for a US-made product.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #164 of 1,075
Aamefford, nice setup.  That amp looks quite familiar. 
wink_face.gif

For those on the fence, just buy and try it.  You can return it minus the shipping if you don't like it.  I've done this once.  $10 increase in quite small now a days - 2 gallons of gas now a days.  As a former owner of the TTVJ slim, PICO, and my most missed amp - TTVJ Millet Portable Hybrid (sorry, had to add this), I can say with confidence, that to my ears and wallet, they will tell you the UHA-4 holds its own very well to the amps costing 2-3x without the extra crossfeed feature.  I have observed, in general, three audiences: 1) The budget conscientious; 2) The intermediate budgeteer (will pay for the higher end, but only used or deeply discounted - which is me); 3) Higher end, Damn it, I got to have it, and/or be the first in line to audition (high end FOTM purchasers as an example).  So, what's the point?

Well, the UHA-4 amp can satisfy any audience.  Buy it and try it, or return it - simple as that.  IMO, we shouldn't comment on the petty increase on why, or ask for justification.  Fact is, everything in this economy is going up except for the wages and benefits.  Crappy, but that's how the old ball bounces.

Funny, I remember about 12 years ago, when a customer thought something was really wrong when the software quote was under $1 Million because another competitor, who is much more prominent had a similar product that had less features but cost $700K more.  Go figure that one, but happens all the time in every industry and sector.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #165 of 1,075
It seems like Leckerton has really hit a home run with this one - hence I'm really interested. How's the sound signature - cold, warm, or neutral? The main gripe I have with my Icon Mobile is the accented treble.

I would say the UHA-4 is neutral with a hint of warmness to it. It's a very fun amp. The gain switch and the cross feed are indispensable features as well; I definitely notice a difference in the music when crossfeed is enabled. Some songs the treble may be too piercing and the crossfeed seems to bring balance.

I have to agree with you that this amp is a bargain for what you get. I wouldn't want to pay $200.00 although it would still be worth it IMO. No one should be complaining about the price hike as it is still very reasonably priced while compared to it's competition. All the prices of the ALo Rx, Pico slim, and Headstage Arrow have gone up a lot more than $10.00 since their release and even then they were still significantly more exspensive than the UHA-4. I guess some people will never be happy (always gotta find something to bitch about) lol:wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back