Leckerton Audio Slimline UHA-4
Apr 19, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #181 of 1,075
For those of you who have been able to compare this portable amp with others, are there any that offer competition at this price point based on the amp alone? I know that as an amp/dac its a great deal, but I'd be looking to use it only as an amp for now. Is there anything competitive in the price range if I'm only using it as an amp?

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #183 of 1,075

Quote:
For those of you who have been able to compare this portable amp with others, are there any that offer competition at this price point based on the amp alone? I know that as an amp/dac its a great deal, but I'd be looking to use it only as an amp for now. Is there anything competitive in the price range if I'm only using it as an amp?

Exactly my thoughts, this is a great amp only form factor.  Once the initial group of buyers receive their product we may see more direct comparisons.  If this comes close to the pico slim in clarity/articulation, I'll jump all over it.  Otherwise I'm pretty confident the pico will be my next amp purchase.

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #184 of 1,075
Some have already mentioned impressions of the pico slim and they have not been exactly favorable and the pico slim is often in the FS forums.  This UHA-4 is a SIGNIFICANTLY better value than the pico slim.

Apr 19, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #186 of 1,075

Quote:
I'm assuming you have done a comparison of both amps, so it would be instructive if you would explain for us all why and the level of significance.  Thanks.

+1

Making wild statements without a lengthy comparison between the two (and I dont include meet impressions in 'lengthy' - your source, cans, listening environment) is of little value to the rest of Head-Fi : happy to hear those observations in detail.

Apr 19, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #187 of 1,075
Some have already mentioned impressions of the pico slim and they have not been exactly favorable and the pico slim is often in the FS forums.  This UHA-4 is a SIGNIFICANTLY better value than the pico slim.
Exactly my thoughts, this is a great amp only form factor.  Once the initial group of buyers receive their product we may see more direct comparisons.  If this comes close to the pico slim in clarity/articulation, I'll jump all over it.  Otherwise I'm pretty confident the pico will be my next amp purchase.

I've heard the slim. It is a great little amp. I have the UHA-4, I kind of impulse bought one in the FS forum. I am not considering trading it for a slim, and I would if I thought it would be a better value, or a better amp for my needs. That said, the leckerton does not match the fit and finish of the slim or the slim's diminutive size. I don't honestly think the slim sounds better, but it has been a good year and a half since I heard it. I hope that helps a bit.

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #188 of 1,075

Quote:
I've heard the slim. It is a great little amp. I have the UHA-4, I kind of impulse bought one in the FS forum. I am not considering trading it for a slim, and I would if I thought it would be a better value, or a better amp for my needs. That said, the leckerton does not match the fit and finish of the slim or the slim's diminutive size. I don't honestly think the slim sounds better, but it has been a good year and a half since I heard it. I hope that helps a bit.

Thank you for your comparison.

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #189 of 1,075
initial impressions:

equipment used:  um3x's remolded, twag om, twag lod, ipod classic rockboxed
amps: uha4, rsa shadow, ibasso t3

initially i was going to get my alo rx fixed AND get the leckerton instead of getting the rx mk2 to replace it.... now im debating about even getting the alo rx fixed at all since the leckerton sounds soooo good.

First, no hiss whatsoever from the uha4.  The leckerton reminds me of the alo rx...good soundstage, wide and airy and a nice touch of bass.  While the shadow has better mids and a little is more intimate than the uha4.  The T3 is very cold and analytical;  the leckerton is a tad on the cold side, but not nearly  as much as the t3.  

will write a more in depth review when i have the chance.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #190 of 1,075

I like the Uha-4, but it's not for me.  I love the digital volume control. Battery life is excellent, no complaint's with the using it with a laptop using footbar/winamp etc.  Crossfeed I have mixed feelings about, only impression I get is it "dulls" the sound, no matter what I listen too.  As mentioned it is more of a neutral sounding amp, no hiss, no distortion at high volume levels, if that is the kind of amp you like for $179 you're getting a great deal.   

In some ways I think my PK2's do not take full advantage of the amps capability, I am not a IEM can person, but I did try my copper pro turbines and if they would only stay in my ear lol, I probably be happy.  But I like earbuds, maybe the PK1s or OK1s might work better.  

The only things I did have some disappointment with and maybe it is because of the PK2s that there was no big increase in base or treble.

At high volume, best way for me to describe it, at volume very natural sounding with no distortion, I am starting to get the impression I am more of a person that likes color in my sound, with an increase in bass and treble and wide sound stage, or at least have the option to be able to switch it on and off.   

Because of the reasons mentioned above, I will be returning the amp. If I keep it, it would only sit on the desk and never be used.  I am glad I gave it a try, it's just not the amp that suit's how I would like to listen to my music.   

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #191 of 1,075

Quote:
I am starting to get the impression I am more of a person that likes color in my sound, with an increase in bass and treble and wide sound stage, or at least have the option to be able to switch it on and off.     

Kudos for being willing to admit it. Coloration is anathema to serious audiophiles, but you dont have to go far to find an audio manufacturer who is happy to build it into their products. The 'ideal' audiophile amp is transparent and neutral, but I'm skeptical about how well that would translate in sales terms.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #192 of 1,075
@kiwirugby

Have not heard pico slim and do not need to - UHA-4 does it all.  Quite simply, there is presently no better value than UHA-4.  No need to repeat ALL it offers, including stellar SQ, and how it measures up against the much pricier amps.  

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #193 of 1,075

Quote:
@kiwirugby

Have not heard pico slim and do not need to - UHA-4 does it all.  Quite simply, there is presently no better value than UHA-4.  No need to repeat ALL it offers, including stellar SQ, and how it measures up against the much pricier amps.  

Ok, I've heard enough. Why wait for a second opinion when, clearly, this thing is as good as it gets.

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #194 of 1,075
This thread is already 14 pages long and many have expressed their opinions and impressions - how many pages does it take to make a purchase decision?  After trying many and some much pricier amps, I bought the UHA-4 without even reading anything about it and my amp/dac search has ended.  Yes, this is as good as it gets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back