Leaving portable hifi - it's too silly
Oct 24, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #151 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I came across wild kiwi in China. I found out they are actually native there and not other countries as many believe. There are many varieties.

Yes. They used to be called Chinese gooseberries
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #152 of 937
Quote:

I came across wild kiwi in China. I found out they are actually native there and not other countries as many believe. There are many varieties.

On a portable not getting close to a good home amp, I do not agree. If you are feeding a very good portable from a good source the sound can be excellent. I use my Woo 6 quite often here at home and my modded 6 has been compared to some very fine home amps and come out very well. In comparing the 71A (broken in) I find the 71A is not banished and scorned. It holds up surprisingly well when using the same source.

yes if someone would come up with a DAP that had USB out and we could use it with our USB dac I think the difference between portable and home hifi would shrink remarkably

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #153 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However what one must remember is that in terms of all hi-fi, headphones are the best value.

This is oft-repeated but not necessarily true. It really depends on what you value.

If you like detail and accuracy, they are indeed a great value. If you like impactful bass response and a realistic soundstage, you're going to be spending drastically more on headphones than you would on equivalent speakers.

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #154 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes if someone would come up with a DAP that had USB out and we could use it with our USB dac I think the difference between portable and home hifi would shrink remarkably

Yes, I just don't know if anyone is motivated by the niche market to to use the USB for portable. When I use my Monica II dac with the H140 optical out I have a portable hard drive with optical out. It can't get much better than that. No it won't fit in your pocket, well not a normal pocket but it is very portable and what sound!

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #155 of 937
Quote:

On a portable not getting close to a good home amp, I do not agree. If you are feeding a very good portable from a good source the sound can be excellent. I use my Woo 6 quite often here at home and my modded 6 has been compared to some very fine home amps and come out very well. In comparing the 71A (broken in) I find the 71A is not banished and scorned. It holds up surprisingly well when using the same source.

I don't know how to respond to this anymore without getting banned.

Quote:

let alone this
confused_face(1).gif

Also, in response to this note:

"I agree with that fact that well, portable setups can't even get close to decent home setups really. That said though, the space taken by home setups = bigger more complex circuits which not surprisingly results in higher SQ. One's got to take into account portability and space when making circuits for portable amps. That sacrifices more complex circuits (unless you want your costs to skyrocket) which sacrifices SQ. "

Portable amp space and design is not being maximized, at all. Really, not a lot of thought is going into portable amps. Rooting yourself in the notion of smaller size as the only possible explanation for the shortcomings of these portable components is not advisable

And I still see a lot of people equating sound that stomps portable as having to be top of the line (you must be unfamiliar with any part of the line when it comes to a home setup) and/or expensive. You're wasting a chance to discover better sound by clinging to a limited portable experience. I'm sure it sounds good to you - just like Bose would sound good to your random non-audiophile person off of the sidewalk

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #156 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Portable amp space and design is not being maximized, at all. Really, not a lot of thought is going into portable amps. Rooting yourself in the notion of smaller size as the only possible explanation for the shortcomings of these portable components is not advisable

oh and I suppose you could do a better job of it? do you think amp makers are all conspiring to make these amps larger or of lesser quality than they need to be?

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #157 of 937
Quote:

What I wouldn't give for people that address everything they're responding to, and not just a sliver of what they're responding to. It's just so dysfunctional.

Dysfunctional is spending so much money on a portable rig, and then after becoming dissatisfied with what you have, trying to convince others that portable amps are a waste of money.

Sleep well.

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #158 of 937
Quote:

If anyone has any questions, I'm here to help - feel free to PM me or get ahold of me via any of the messengers listed under my name at the top of the post

My devious motives revealed!

I've had maybe 15 people (who haven't posted here) PM me about this post so far - half are privately voicing their full support and agreement, the other half have questions about their gear. I've talked to a few people on MSN, too.

I'm evil!

That I feel strongly about something and it conflicts with your take does not mean I am on a mission to spread misery

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #159 of 937
Wow, sixteen pages of (I'm guessing) people trying to explain/defend why they enjoy/pursue their level of involvement w/ portable music setups to someone who is no longer interested in doing the same! I'm sorry, but I have to ask (the responders of course); What was your point? Do you feel better now! I think perhaps some of you may also secretly have similar feelings. I think everyone involved w/ this thread may have been guilty of acting a bit silly. A simple "Bye, see ya" or an even simpler response of making a mental note to yourself of "Well, I don't particularly feel my level of involvement has'nt been worthwhile" makes quite a bit more sense. Come on ,sixteen pages of rhetoric when threads from posters seeking information are routinely ignored. I may be mercenary in my pursuit of my interests in that I do them for myself. You may or may not know more about a certain technology or technique than I do, that is not a big deal, I can learn (or maybe teach you something). Someone elses opinion or attitude does'nt unvalidate how I feel about things, it's just different. As we all know (now there's an oxymoronic outdated saying, as witnessed by these sixteen pages) different is'nt always better. One other thing, (I have'nt had occasion to use this line yet) "This thread needs to die" You'll have to start being creative & coming up w/ title lines for the sixteen billion topics you like to cover in one thread!

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #160 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podtweaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, sixteen pages of (I'm guessing) people trying to explain/defend why they enjoy/pursue their level of involvement w/ portable music setups to someone who is no longer interested in doing the same! I'm sorry, but I have to ask (the responders of course); What was your point? Do you feel better now! I think perhaps some of you may also secretly have similar feelings. I think everyone involved w/ this thread may have been guilty of acting a bit silly. A simple "Bye, see ya" or an even simpler response of making a mental note to yourself of "Well, I don't particularly feel my level of involvement has'nt been worthwhile" makes quite a bit more sense. Come on ,sixteen pages of rhetoric when threads from posters seeking information are routinely ignored. I may be mercenary in my pursuit of my interests in that I do them for myself. You may or may not know more about a certain technology or technique than I do, that is not a big deal, I can learn (or maybe teach you something). Someone elses opinion or attitude does'nt unvalidate how I feel about things, it's just different. As we all know (now there's an oxymoronic outdated saying, as witnessed by these sixteen pages) different is'nt always better. One other thing, (I have'nt had occasion to use this line yet) "This thread needs to die" You'll have to start being creative & coming up w/ title lines for the sixteen billion topics you like to cover in one thread!

if it had been as simple as that I would've just said 'see ya wouldn't want to beya'; but it wasn't luminette started to make judgments on the people who think it is a good thing. I to don't need to rely on somebody else to build cables, modify ipods etc. (haven't built an amp yet) if it stopped at just an opinion then that would be cool but it didn't. I cant argue with someones opinion, but it works the other way too.

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #161 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podtweaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll have to start being creative & coming up w/ title lines for the sixteen billion topics you like to cover in one thread!

Should I change the title to "Cohesive conversation, potentially subject to expansive topic exploration pertaining to portable hifi"

Would it be okay for us to keep talking to each other, then?

Quote:

if it stopped at just an opinion then that would be cool but it didn't. I cant argue with someones opinion, but it works the other way too.

In your opinion, can't I have an opinion that differs from your opinion? In my opinion, I more than can. And we also have differing opinions on the idea that we are supposed to lay down and accept each others opinions in silence.

I think our opinions are intimately doomed to fail with each other, quspycakes

Maybe this is all just my opinion, though
redface.gif

Here is something of conversational importance - Behold!

minibox-d.jpg

Now that's a small amp.

My thoughts on it when I first saw it (earlier tonight) were mixed. It's tiny in every dimension. Surely weighs nothing. And Flywheel design is an obvious plus for a portable amp as far as theory that involves it actually being portable goes.

But, it's ins and outs are on the side of it as it'd run parallel underneath your player.. which is sure to lead to a somewhat awkward and vulnerable placement of the LOD or mini-to-mini used.

What really strikes out for me, though, is this: Look at the amp design. Despite the feat of minimal size - how far off are we now from an iPod's amp? No doubt this sounds better, but by how much? I mean, there's probably three forths of a square inch of amp circuitry, the rest is battery, flywheel volume control and signal paths. Edit: and a baby gain switch etc hanging out in the corner there
smily_headphones1.gif

Is it even worth upgrading from the iPod (or other) amp in such a small manner?

It's $100, and it surely sounds worse than their Minibox F which sells for $69. So you have something quite obviously less than a $69 portable amp's performance. And that $69 amp also includes an AC charger, a USB cable, a leather carrying case and a mini-to-mini cable - keep this in mind when considering what's left to be payed for out of the Minibox F that trumps the $100 tinypie.

Well, it's more convenient to me, it must be worth more, even though the components are fewer, on a board smaller, in an enclosure smaller!

Everything about this is illlllllogical.

Have I made the trend clearer for anyone?

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #162 of 937
Quote:

if it had been as simple as that I would've just said 'see ya wouldn't want to beya'; but it wasn't luminette started to make judgments on the people who think it is a good thing. I to don't need to rely on somebody else to build cables, modify ipods etc. (haven't built an amp yet) if it stopped at just an opinion then that would be cool but it didn't. I cant argue with someones opinion, but it works the other way too.

That was my whole point. Where was the requirement to convince anyone that portable Hi Fi is a good thing ( Especially to someone who writes a "War & Peace" sized "mission statement" about why he finds it silly or unsatisfying, who is that for ? Looks like a little too much reasoning for self justification purposes. ) I mean no offense by this but just who is Luminette in the scheme of why someone should be interested in PHiFi ? I've never met the person who had the ultimate taste or hearing or knowledge of all that is available & like I said why would that change how I feel ? There is no point to arguing opinions, the only thing you'll accomplish is "fanning the flames" of a meaningless fire.

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #163 of 937
Quote:

In your opinion, can't I have an opinion that differs from your opinion? In my opinion, I more than can. And we also have differing opinions on the idea that we are supposed to lay down and accept each others opinions in silence.

I don't believe anyone has an issue with you voicing your opinion - I certainly haven't - it's the fact that anyone disagreeing with your opinion is apparently less intelligent than you because they haven't 'seen the light'.

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #164 of 937
What can I do when everyone that already owns a portable rig isn't willing to consider that they've not gone the most informed route. Well, not everybody. I reference myself and so very many others on this thread that are at least willing to risk having been less informed so as to become more informed.

If your priorities are the ignorant contentment of whatever it is that's already fulfilling you - then we just have a core difference in values, as some of us are concerned with a more definite reality of things. Which does not mean that we feel that personal tastes do not exist, we're just, seemingly, a little more open to their being angles involving definite truths that are also in play.

Personally, I would say primarily in play.

If your priorities are with what's real, then I have to implore you to consider far more angles to life than subjectivity. And to be aware of what kind of situations the subjectivity cards get used. Subjectivity has a very long history of convenience to the self.

What more can I say to a pair of fellow hobbyists intent on making me concede strictly on the notion of personal taste w/ithout having themselves made any sort of bother on the merits of design and definite truths

I just won't rollover and accept "personal taste" alone without having explored the aspects that are the most rock-solid to me. Especially when I have at all points in this thread been in acknowledgment of what you are resting your claims for possibility that I'm full of it on.

I'm just not rolling over for that, guys - Especially when I have a brain that really feels like it knows exactly what is going on here.

I don't think we have much else to discuss on the matter of opinions

So, if we could, get back to portable hifi? I'm still interested on the minibox d / f stuff I wrote on - I'd like to hear from others

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #165 of 937
Quote:

ignorant contentment of whatever it is that's already fulfilling you

You see - this is what is particularly frustrating.

I have already acknowledged your initial post and agreed with many points.

I am certain that home systems deliver better sound quality for the money - that is really not in question.

But you continue to disregard any points about the practicality of home based (restricted) systems and how this doesn't suit everyone.

To me the whole issue here is that home systems are exactly that - they stay at home, they do not provide a soundtrack when you are walking on the beach with the waves lapping around your feet and this is what I want from my system - 'ignorant contentment' if you like.

So if you're happy to sit at home listening to your music - that's cool.

it's not enough for me though, I want a soundtrack to my life - indoors and out, and preferably with the best SQ I can achieve at a reasonable cost (to me).

...and I'm not going to call you ignorant for having a different opinion either, because that would just be immature and conceited.

I'm off to walk the dog now - and I'll be taking my music with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back