Leaving portable hifi - it's too silly
Oct 24, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #181 of 937
Quote:

High fidelity
High fidelity or hi-fi reproduction is a term used by home stereo listeners and home audio enthusiasts (audiophiles) to refer to high-quality reproduction of sound or images that is very faithful to the original master recording. High fidelity equipment has minimal or unnoticeable amounts of noise and distortion and an accurate frequency response as set out in 1973 by the German Deutsches Institut für Normung (DIN) standard DIN 45500. The term was most widely used in this strict sense in the 1950s and 1960s; in subsequent decades, the term was applied more loosely to any mid-level stereo system. In the 2000s, the term "hi-fi" for expensive high quality home audio electronics was largely replaced with the term "high-end audio".
See more at Wikipedia.org...

high-fidelity | English | Dictionary & Translation by Babylon

I know wikipedia is not a reliable source. But, really, I thought high-fidelity meant the upper echelon of reproduction. That would mean that these are at the top of their class. I really don't see a distinction between the two and if you do, how do you based on the definition? Just being higher quality then an iPod or higher quality then standard is pretty loose, whats the standard for quality?

However, I see your point and know that the perceived image of words change. Right now, I'm more focused on the value of the rig side of things for the fidelity you get rather then semantics of definitions.

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #182 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to put this out there, why are so many posts in this thread so melodramatic? Are some of you really that angry or sensitive about the subject? why? No one is actually getting hurt here. I admit that it was meant to mentally effect those with portable rigs; that shouldn't have any lasting effects unless something is wrong and in that case you are taking it out on the wrong people.

I'm trying to express my opinion using logic here. Only a few posters might really be ignorant and certainly no one should be lit on fire.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm glad it hasn't gotten out of hand yet, but lets calm down the reactionary responses.

i'm up for that i've said my peace and responded to anything that I considered a personal affront but I dont think I was being sensitive; I was literally called ignorant and then OP went back to talking about portable amp options after saying it was just silly and he was leaving; proving this thread was just an excuse to provoke people. Now I admit I took the bait but I don't appreciate being told that something I put a lot of thought into was misguided just because OP doesn't think its worthwhile FOR THEM and I know for a fact that I FEEL ITS WORTHWHILE

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #184 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm up for that i've said my peace and responded to anything that I considered a personal affront but I dont think I was being sensitive; I was literally called ignorant and then OP went back to talking about portable amp options after saying it was just silly and he was leaving; proving this thread was just an excuse to provoke people. Now I admit I took the bait but I don't appreciate being told that something I put a lot of thought into was misguided just because OP doesn't think its worthwhile FOR THEM and I know for a fact that I FEEL ITS WORTHWHILE

I understand.

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #185 of 937
I see a roundtable conference coming. Someone please invite the Joker.

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #186 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see a roundtable conference coming. Someone please invite the Joker.

nah thats not going to happen; hes revealed himself

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #187 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand.

biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #188 of 937
and things are about to get even more expensive with the new IQUBE w/DAC 600 euros whats that about a grand
eek.gif
and i'm already considering it; i';m sick. but no doubt it will beat the pico and therefor be the best portable USB dac/amp. first on the agenda though is customs. i've got the cables sorted and source IMO the DIYMOD is def still right up there.

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #189 of 937
Quote:

and things are about to get even more expensive with the new IQUBE w/DAC 600 euros whats that about a grand
eek.gif
and i'm already considering it; i';m sick. but no doubt it will beat the pico and therefor be the best portable USB dac/amp. first on the agenda though is customs. i've got the cables sorted and source IMO the DIYMOD is def still right up there.

If you can get over the fact that an underpowered amp is the only output for the DAC. If you need a DAC and it plugs into a non-battery powered devices typically, just don't overlook the ones with great diversity. I have my doubts that the DAC inside that will beat the PICO's also.

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #191 of 937
We may be nit-picking here, would everyone be happier if we called it our portable music rigs,(or PMRs, no scrap that ,sounds too close to that other thing((that a lot of people over here seem to have chronically)), instead of HiFi. I was under the impression High Fidelity meant anything that brought you closer to the fidelity of the recording, nothing more. Now if you were to call it Hi End or Audiophile Portable then you might be inaccurate in your terminology usage. I get the impression that a lot of people use their home theatre sound systems as their music playback system by default, I don't feel it's that particularly difficult to build a portable music rig that does'nt have the capability to sound better than these systems as most of these have a universal optical player as their source(which is why I think PDAPs are so mediocre, they are "universal" players). I use my "dedicated" home music system as my reference for what I try to do w/ my portable music rig. Some of my upgrades have brought me a little closer to the way I would like things to sound & some haven't. The whole trick is to make changes one at a time & very gradually. Does portable "hifi" exist? to my definition it does. Portable 'Hi -End' ? Not yet, but some of us don't mind the search so much.

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #192 of 937
double post

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #193 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
600 Euros is about 750 USD.

I just love saying that.

its a grand to me im australian
frown.gif
and thats the ridiculous thing the USD is soooo overvalued; you guys are quite literally in the poo, but you keep printing money. ooops did I say that
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #194 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podtweaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get the impression that a lot of people use their home theatre sound systems as their music playback system by default, I don't feel it's that particularly difficult to build a portable music rig that does'nt have the capability to sound better than these systems as most of these have a universal optical player as their source(which is why I think PDAPs are so mediocre, they are "universal" players).

Good point. In my case, my portable rig tromps my home theatre system...and that stuff costs about the same.

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #195 of 937
Quote:

its a grand to me im australian
frown.gif
and thats the ridiculous thing the USD is soooo overvalued; you guys are quite literally in the poo, but you keep printing money. ooops did I say that
biggrin.gif

Wrong.

If we were "printing money" we would be experiencing rapid inflation, which would devalue our currency in regards to yours. Instead, it is worth far more. While the US markets are indeed declining at an alarming rate, it is LESS alarming than many other former powerhouse nations. The whole world is falling apart, and the US is falling apart less, so our currency is worth more.

Also, I am not "quite literally" standing in excrement. I'm not sure you understand what the word "literally" means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back