Leaving portable hifi - it's too silly
Oct 24, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #166 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What can I do when everyone that already owns a portable rig isn't willing to consider that they've not gone the most informed route.

point 1 just because I haven't become 'enlightened' in YOUR opinion; I must be missing something. How is that objective

Quote:

If your priorities are the ignorant contentment of whatever it is that's already fulfilling you - then we just have a core difference in values, as some of us are concerned with a more definite reality of things. Which does not mean that we feel that personal tastes do not exist, we're just, seemingly, a little more open to their being angles involving definite truths that are also in play.

you say one thing, but then contradict yourself; the language you use belies your true feelings; ie. that you think you know best and I therefor must just be closed minded or dim for disagreeing with you

Quote:

If your priorities are with what's real, then I have to implore you to consider far more angles to life than subjectivity. And to be aware of what kind of situations the subjectivity cards get used. Subjectivity has a very long history of convenience to the self.

I'm afraid EVERYTHING IS SUBJECTIVE WE HAVE NO OTHER BASIS FROM WHICH TO MAKE JUDGEMENT

Quote:

What more can I say to a pair of fellow hobbyists intent on making me concede strictly on the notion of personal taste w/ithout having themselves made any sort of bother on the merits of design and definite truths

you just illustrated my point I have no desire to make you 'concede' only that you stop preaching that your enlightened opinion is somehow more valid than mine. So if I just thought about the 'definite truths' (<-what the hell are they) a little more, I might come around to your way of thinking???

Quote:

I just won't rollover and accept "personal taste" alone without having explored the aspects that are the most rock-solid to me. Especially when I have at all points in this thread been in acknowledgment of what you are resting your claims for possibility that I'm full of it on.

I don't know what to say to that... you are soooo deluded ,you actually believe that you've been accepting of others opinions. In my first post I agreed with you on a few points; and then stated that I wished you hadn't been so preachy but you were entitled to your opinion. Then I went on to state my feelings on the matter. Which are that the quality gained by using an amp/LOD etc was worth it to me even if it wasn't as convenient and I didn't expect it (porta-fi) to be as good as home hi-fi; only that it was as close as was possible in the portable realm. I too wish that there was a more viable solution, or that there was a DAP manufacturer that ticked all the boxes; but there isn't (nor is there likely to be) so I have to make concessions for that. If you aren't happy to, then thats cool, but it seems that the only thing that is going to satisfy you is if someone designs a DAP that sounds as good as a home source (not going to happen) and seeing as your went to the top of the mountain and were still not satisfied, it's doubtful that you will ever be satisfied and always be bitter about something. Thats cool just don't inflict it on me!!! I know I can just ignore you and that would be the easiest thing to do; but with you shouting from the rooftops like that and making personal judgments on me, I cant 'just roll over'; when did I ask you to roll over? I just asked that you keep your judgements to yourself. If you want to do something about your situation, design your own DAP; its the only way you are going to get what you want. it seems that no amp gives you the sound you are after and likely neither will any that is designed in the future; the problem is with the source. Good as the IMOD/DIYMOD is, its not good enough for you it seems.

Quote:

I'm just not rolling over for that, guys - Especially when I have a brain that really feels like it knows exactly what is going on here.

Exactly, but apparently we don't; because we're too busy with our 'ignorant contentment' and simply aren't getting down to the 'definite truths' not realizing what the 'most informed route' to the 'definite reality' is.

Quote:

I don't think we have much else to discuss on the matter of opinions

fine with me I'm finished now. ??? But when were you actually open to 'discussing it? only spewing it

Quote:

So, if we could, get back to portable hifi? I'm still interested on the minibox d / f stuff I wrote on - I'd like to hear from others

hahahahah now you are talking about a smaller amp; you weren't happy with the sound of a larger one so how exactly is this one going to stop that? is the fact that its smaller going to make it sound better? well.... I suppose the signal paths are shorter

I thought you were finished with portable hi-fi anyway???

Oct 24, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #167 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that a condom wearing a headphone in your avatar?
very_evil_smiley.gif

And what if it is? How can you deny anything the right to good sounds
?
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #168 of 937
Luminette. I own the Minibox-D. And it comes with a hardcase, a power adapter for USB, USB charger and a mini-mini cable. Lol. How better is it compared to the iPod's internal amp? Personally I think it's a reasonably better, clearer notes, warmish, tones, IMO. Worth the price? For me personally, it is. It sounds better than my Headsix IMHO. And for the price and size? I've to say that it's a bargain. But of course, I myself am a bit skeptical about certain portable amplifiers (which I won't name) that definitely do not justify their price tags. I for one, can tell the difference between the iPod's headphone out with an amp. But I can't justify "certain amps". Might as well save up and get a home rig!
tongue.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #169 of 937
Having portable music is great and it really can be a great experience. Though why are some of you paying so much for these amps? They are not the same quality, not as many quality components, often not as much labor (honestly, professionals use methods that are often not a soldering gun held by hand), buy the parts in bulk.... and to top it, (I think part of Luminette's point) most designs do not really seem all that creative. Now, I understand that a small business must charge overhead to make a profit. But maybe someone can answer why a small business designing home amps can offer some reasonable offerings (except for a few manufacturers) and the portable market is flooded with these amps at such cost. Some of you are fooled into comparing a portable to only other portables and not the product to all other products, its disheartening. Just because of batteries doesn't mean you should settle for little value and little gains.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its a conspiracy; all but my first post disappeared
biggrin.gif
I cant be bothered stating it all again; I like my amp+cables. if you don't then dont use them. I did enjoy our little exchange last night though manox

Me too!

Oct 24, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #170 of 937
Does the sound of the ocean really need to be blotted out by background music?

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #171 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid EVERYTHING IS SUBJECTIVE WE HAVE NO OTHER BASIS FROM WHICH TO MAKE JUDGEMENT

That's an objective statement.

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #172 of 937
"Ignorant contentment", boy we're talking about a large percentage of the entire world population here. If you want to discuss why you like certain equipment or why you think somethings are'nt as good as they're cracked up to be that is why there are forums. I have no arguement w/ that. Why is it necessary to piss people off by implying they are content because they are ignorant. Even if that is true why would you want to mess with someone's contentment. You say you just want to get back to talking about the equipment. There is nothing interupting that process until you try to show people "the error of their way". Does this need to "educate" people of their ignorance make a lot of friends for you? What the heck were you thinking when you came out w/ that statement ? If you can't convince someone of something it is probably better to leave things unsaid. They will eventually figure things out , or they won't. Now if you want to get back to talking about equipment do so. Leave all this other silliness ( & I'm talking to everyone here ) were it belongs, in the dumpster. ( "Ignorantly content" I kind of like that sounds like it could make an interesting sweatshirt)

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #173 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having portable music is great and it really can be a great experience. Though why are some of you paying so much for these amps? They are not the same quality, not as many quality components, often not as much labor (honestly, professionals use methods that are often not a soldering gun held by hand), buy the parts in bulk.... and to top it, (I think part of Luminette's point) most designs do not really seem all that creative. Now, I understand that a small business must charge overhead to make a profit. But maybe someone can answer why a small business designing home amps can offer some reasonable offerings (except for a few manufacturers) and the portable market is flooded with these amps at such cost.

So please tell me - what amp should I have bought?

Having bought an RSA SR-71A (which I love) clearly I should be dowsed in petrol and set alight

Quote:

Some of you are fooled into comparing a portable to only other portables and not the product to all other products, its disheartening. Just because of batteries doesn't mean you should settle for little value and little gains.

You've lost me - if I want a portable amp what is the point of comparing with amps that are not portable?
Should I also make comparisons with a box of frogs? They are nice and lively, but equally irrelevant.

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #174 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What can I do when everyone that already owns a portable rig isn't willing to consider that they've not gone the most informed route. Well, not everybody. I reference myself and so very many others on this thread that are at least willing to risk having been less informed so as to become more informed.

If your priorities are the ignorant contentment of whatever it is that's already fulfilling you - then we just have a core difference in values, as some of us are concerned with a more definite reality of things. Which does not mean that we feel that personal tastes do not exist, we're just, seemingly, a little more open to their being angles involving definite truths that are also in play.

Personally, I would say primarily in play.

If your priorities are with what's real, then I have to implore you to consider far more angles to life than subjectivity. And to be aware of what kind of situations the subjectivity cards get used. Subjectivity has a very long history of convenience to the self.

What more can I say to a pair of fellow hobbyists intent on making me concede strictly on the notion of personal taste w/ithout having themselves made any sort of bother on the merits of design and definite truths

I just won't rollover and accept "personal taste" alone without having explored the aspects that are the most rock-solid to me. Especially when I have at all points in this thread been in acknowledgment of what you are resting your claims for possibility that I'm full of it on.

I'm just not rolling over for that, guys - Especially when I have a brain that really feels like it knows exactly what is going on here.

I don't think we have much else to discuss on the matter of opinions

So, if we could, get back to portable hifi? I'm still interested on the minibox d / f stuff I wrote on - I'd like to hear from others

Luminnette,

You've finally started to get my juices flowing. I've read the entire thread and have been reading with interest the various points, counterpoints, and thoughts about portable hi-fi. Much of what is written is quite thought provoking. After thoughtful consideration here are my thoughts on the subject.

1) Can portable rigs be hi-fi??? YES! You take the standard SQ and get the most possible sound out of it so that it makes you happy. The SQ on an outstanding portable rig today is probably better than most reasonably priced home rigs from 10-15 years ago without doubt. Just because it may not be as good as other home setups doesn't mean it's not hi-fi.

2) Are home rigs generally better??? YES!

3) Are home rigs generally better bang for the buck ???? YES!

4) Is portable hi-fi silly??? NO! NO! NO!

If I want to maximize my listening experience regardless of where I'm at and willing to pay a premium for that privilege, and quite satisfied with myself after having done so, good for me! If you don't feel good after doing so, then you're smart to recognize that you are/were acting irrationally and you stop doing it. It's really very simple.

OK. I feel better. My juices are back where they belong!
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #175 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bob /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Having bought an RSA SR-71A (which I love) clearly I should be dowsed in petrol and set alight

You've lost me - if I want a portable amp what is the point of comparing with amps that are not portable?
Should I also make comparisons with a box of frogs? They are nice and lively, but equally irrelevant.

Ok. Honestly, I think the SR-71A is very likely to be one of the best portable amps on the market and I bet its a world away from any other RSA portable amplifier. I would really love to hear it. However, I'm guessing it cost you $500. If your IEMs/headphones cost about the same, which they would typically have to to remain reasonable, you should not have bought an amp. You should have put that money into better headphones/IEMs and/or source and if that isn't justifiable to you, then call it a wrap. How many portable headphones/IEMs require amps really? The only justification I can see for them existing is that the iPod and iMod sound so much better through a line-out. I would really have to hear it, but I don't think you are getting your moneys worth with that kind of source's quality then being amplified.

I want you to look at your amp and then really consider its value in comparison to the rest of the rig. Its necessary when planning any good rig. I did that before, got the cost ratio right, and then the price just seemed like a joke after that ($2500 and thats buying smart). Wow, after all that and obtaining the best, it was able to compete with a ~$1000 home rig. Now that difference is too much unless you are in the business of throwing away money. That is a main reason why a portable rig can not compete in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just because it may not be as good as other home setups doesn't mean it's not hi-fi.

Yes. Actually it does. Do you know what hi-fi is? Most home setups have to cost at least $10000 to try to achieve that! All portable rigs are not silly, but calling a portable rig hi-fi truly IS.

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #176 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bob /img/forum/go_quote.gif

man your a legend thats just too funny
darthsmile.gif

Quote:

hahahahahahahahah LOL your the bomb
wink_face.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #177 of 937
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's an objective statement.

how?? did I step outside of myself to say that??.... literally that is

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #178 of 937
Just to put this out there, why are so many posts in this thread so melodramatic? Are some of you really that angry or sensitive about the subject? why? No one is actually getting hurt here. I admit that it was meant to mentally effect those with portable rigs; that shouldn't have any lasting effects unless something is wrong and in that case you are taking it out on the wrong people.

I'm trying to express my opinion using logic here. Only a few posters might really be ignorant and certainly no one should be lit on fire.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm glad it hasn't gotten out of hand yet, but lets calm down the reactionary responses.

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #179 of 937
Quote:

Yes. Actually it does. Do you know what hi-fi is? Most home setups have to cost at least $10000 to try to achieve that! All portable rigs are not silly, but calling a portable rig hi-fi truly IS.

Aren't you confusing "high end" with "hifi" ?

I think the great majority of the worlds population would say that you don't have to spend $10000 to achieve a hifi setup.

I even seem to remember that there actually is a DIN standard for what hifi is although I think it was defined in the 70's so is probably somewhat out of date
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #180 of 937
Yeah, I agree with you here, nc8000. Hi-Fi just means a significantly above average fidelity to the source. I think the rigs represented here achieve that, to a degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back