LDII++ still popular?
Oct 17, 2007 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

Dept_of_Alchemy

Headphoneus Supremus
There hasn't been much talk about the LDII++ recently. Is this amp still THE entry level tube amp to get or has it fallen out of favor to other amps in its price range?
confused.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 76
Still a very popular tube amp. You can have a used Darkvoice 336i for $50 more than a new LDII++ which is worth it. It seems all the consensus says the DV amps are worth the additional funds over the LD amps.

However, LD recently released the MKIII and MKIV amps as well, which is good competition for the DV amp. The MKIII is the more talked about item at the moment..

DV amps have much, much better tube rolling options then the LD amps, and this is what really was the deal breaker for me. The 6SN7 the 336i uses is one of the more popular,commonly found, and usually inexpensive tubes.

Lots has been said about both amps; both are solid options for their price and you really couldn't go wrong with either. I choose the 336i..
blink.gif

-Nick
600smile.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 76
i think the people who have the LD2++ have had them for a while, are satisfied with them and have said so already - not much new to report. and the people now looking at or purchasing LD amps are probably going with the newer models.

at much as i liked my LD2++, if i were going to buy a new LD amp, i would probably get one of the newer models as well.

Oct 19, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 76
I wish I can try to hear how they sound.

Oct 19, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #6 of 76
I really enjoy the sound via the Little Dot II++ and Senn HD600's. Great clarity and no problems with tubes at all. It has a mellowness that I enjoy with the Senns although it isn't as mellow as many tube amps.

I think that it offers really good value for money.

Ian

Dec 9, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #8 of 76
seems like LD2++ is going out of production and replaced by MKII

Dec 9, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seems like LD2++ is going out of production and replaced by MKII

I received an email from David Z at LD. He told me that the original plan for the MKIII to replace the LDII++ has been tossed. They are coming out very soon with the MKII, which will be the official replacement for the LDII++.
All he would tell me was the unit has major improvements including less heat, while maintaining the LDII++ sound.
biggrin.gif

This has me quite excited. Nothing could be better than a unit that sounds like the LDII++, is a better quality unit, doesn't heat up the room and costs around the same.
wink.gif

If I hear more from him, I'll pass it along.

Dec 9, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #13 of 76
A little more information to leak on the upcoming MKII:
biggrin.gif

1. It will feature the same chassis style as LDII++

2. You'll be able to use the EF92s (and equivalents) as well as the new 5654s (and equivalents).

3. It will feature the same type gain controls the rest of the desktop MK series amplifiers do.

Wow, that really will change things on one hand, and keep things familiar on the other! I think I like what I'm hearing from them!
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #14 of 76
Hmm.. If it's the same/similar price as the LD II++ I may hold out to buy it!

I was originally gonna get the Mini3 instead, but the novelty of having glowing vacuum tubes changes things
biggrin.gif

I hope they resolve the heat issue...

Dec 10, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #15 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A little more information to leak on the upcoming MKII:
biggrin.gif

1. It will feature the same chassis style as LDII++

2. You'll be able to use the EF92s (and equivalents) as well as the new 5654s (and equivalents).

3. It will feature the same type gain controls the rest of the desktop MK series amplifiers do.

Wow, that really will change things on one hand, and keep things familiar on the other! I think I like what I'm hearing from them!
wink.gif

That sounds like good news, the stock power tubes on the LDII++ are quite unstable and with the Russian upgrade 6S19P-V tubes even though the sonics improve quite a bit the amp itself still runs hot. EF92 and 5654 are quite rollable and gives a fair amount of room for tweaking the sound to your liking and doesn't cost too much to roll either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back