LCD-X and XC Update
Feb 8, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #2,671 of 2,723
I have been using this
384CE30C-19F1-4099-B2B8-F8D331FE2A78.jpeg
to condition the earpads on my LCD-X (2016 vintage). Great results from a small amount applied every two months ☑️.

Feb 9, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #2,672 of 2,723
Mine are almost 2 years old and they're still good as new...no difference (as far as I can tell) in density and no aesthetic fading or bruising to the leather. In 5 years?...well I don't know, but I'm guessing they'll still be fine...

Blessings,
-J

EDIT: Oh I don't take any special care of the pads...i.e. leather conditioning, etc...and I use them almost every day for a couple hours so they've gotten tons of use in the past almost 2 years.
I've had the original LCD 2 that came out in 2009 for about 14, 15 years now and only thing I had to replace were the earpads, like all cushions not memory foam, eventually they fall flat. The wood still has no cracks and they work perfectly fine still.

These things have seen their abuse, and travelled between humid and dry biomes in that time period.

Mind you it's been a long time but I remember getting one of the early batches so excuse me if my timing is wrong 😂

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #2,673 of 2,723
I would like to know if the lcd xc 2021 is a good upgrade from the lcd 2 fazor (2017). Im also using a denon d7000. The lcd 2 i have has this non fatiguing treble and warm dark signature i really like. Will the xc 2021 with proper eq be a similar signature

Mar 4, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #2,674 of 2,723
I would like to know if the lcd xc 2021 is a good upgrade from the lcd 2 fazor (2017). Im also using a denon d7000. The lcd 2 i have has this non fatiguing treble and warm dark signature i really like. Will the xc 2021 with proper eq be a similar signature
I have owned both the 2017 LCD-x and now own the 2021 revision. I think the 2021 is more refined and smoothed out some of the peaks and valleys in the frequency response. I don't have any issue watching movies on the 2021 without EQ, but wouldn't buy it if you don't have good EQ capability for music. I personally use Roon with several EQ curves that I have pulled off this and other forums. Once EQ'd, they are fantastic with excellent extension, dynamics and resolution.

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #2,675 of 2,723

I prefer the non fazor lcd2 to the XC, at least before EQ. With EQ, I maybe still prefer the LCD2 slightly.

I can't wax poetic about sound differences but my ears enjoy them more. It's the vocals that just warm my heart with the LCD2s.

Without EQ I would be pretty unhappy with my 2021 XC. But even without they have the strengths of a closed back, being isolation. I just use both.

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:33 AM Post #2,678 of 2,723
I have owned both the 2017 LCD-x and now own the 2021 revision. I think the 2021 is more refined and smoothed out some of the peaks and valleys in the frequency response. I don't have any issue watching movies on the 2021 without EQ, but wouldn't buy it if you don't have good EQ capability for music. I personally use Roon with several EQ curves that I have pulled off this and other forums. Once EQ'd, they are fantastic with excellent extension, dynamics and resolution.
I bought the first of the 2021 lcd-X used without knowing about the mod. My one just missed out on the mod by a few weeks according to the build date 😪
You said you owned both models would you have still kept the pre mod lcd-x if they didn't mod them ?
I have the latest model ear pads on mine which apparently improved them from original. I just purchased a 2019 model lcd-2 fazer which I quite enjoy also.

Mar 15, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #2,682 of 2,723
Not for the xc
I have the XC 21.
I wonder what your end goal is!
The XC out of the box, is a little deep-bass shy & a little high-treble hot. Having said that, I fell in love with them instantly when I heard them at a CanJam, & subsequently bought a pair. I have even modded mine, if you do a search, I made a post about it.
I suggest you just add a gentle filter with a slow slope, to tame down from 5kHz. (high shelf 5kHz Q=0.71 -3dB).
If you like your deep bass, then add ( low shelf 150Hz Q=0.71 3dB).
You see that my figures are approximate and gentle. If you require complex, heavy EQ figures, to iron out every wrinkle on a supposed frequency response curve, contact @Jonne Haven , he believes in such things and will provide you with a very complex set of EQs.
I personally, believe in the opposite! I believe first and foremost, you pick a well engineered, low distortion pair of headphones (which you have!) and then gently tone it to your personal taste.
It is all personal taste, there is no absolute correct set of EQs.
This is why:
- If one was to measure 10 random pairs from even the same production batch, one will find that they all have slight FR discrepancies, up to few dBs. This is true even with the best of them.
- If you change the pads, or even have slight seal issues, all deals are off. In that situation, no published or suggested set of EQs would be advisable.
- Your hearing, your ear shapes is different to mine or a microphone in a test gear.
Don't go down the rabbit-hole of ironing out a frequency response curve to please your eyes, your ears would not like it!
It's like somebody measuring a Kentucky chicken drumstick, and then list a precise amounts of salt and pepper to add, to counteract his measurements deficiencies. Would you take his advice??

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #2,684 of 2,723
wuK8Q2c.png

Hello friends, I recently purchased an RME ADI-2 DAC to pair with my LCD-X 2021, I leave their chart sent by Audeze to my S/N
I listen to Rock/Pop and a lot of Electronic Dance music
Can anyone tell me a good EQ for the type of music I listen to? I like a strong beat
Before I had the RME, I used @Jonne Haven EQ on the Peace, but now I can use the EQ directly on the RME, which is simpler.
I've already tried the Oratory EQ but it doesn't suit me as it's too neutral without energy.
Thank you very much

@Jonne Haven

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back