LCD-X and XC Update
Mar 26, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #2,686 of 2,721
Audeze LCD-X, 2016 vintage, is always a joy to come back to within a headphone 'rotation'. With some gear improvements 'upstream', LCD-X really shines.
IMG_7610.jpeg
[Norne Audio Vygarde headphone cable (copper / silver interwoven) is highly recommended!]

Mar 26, 2024 at 3:34 AM Post #2,687 of 2,721
Audeze LCD-X, 2016 vintage, is always a joy to come back to within a headphone 'rotation'. With some gear improvements 'upstream', LCD-X really shines. IMG_7610.jpeg[Norne Audio Vygarde headphone cable (copper / silver interwoven) is highly recommended!]
Lovely to see... I love my ZMFs and they get the most time, but often of an evening I reach for the LCD-XC (2021) - V202 combination and it also just hits the spot for something different and enjoyable. Enjoy!

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #2,688 of 2,721
I just had to let V200's bigger sibling get in on the LCD-X fun ....
IMG_7627.jpeg
👍 🎼 🤪🎵 👍

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #2,689 of 2,721
I have the LCD-X (I think 2015 or 2016) and was considering the upgrade package. Audeze quoted me a $580 charge to replace the drivers and earpads (must be changed at time of driver upgrade). This includes complete replacement of both drivers with our latest Fazor-equipped units with three years of warranty, and new black earpads with one year of warranty.

I don't listen to them as often with my ZMFs in the fold and I do appreciate the Meze 109 Pro's. Is this upgrade worth the price or should I stick with them in their original form? They are my higher end Planar Magnetic headphones.

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #2,690 of 2,721
I have the LCD-X (I think 2015 or 2016) and was considering the upgrade package. Audeze quoted me a $580 charge to replace the drivers and earpads (must be changed at time of driver upgrade). This includes complete replacement of both drivers with our latest Fazor-equipped units with three years of warranty, and new black earpads with one year of warranty.

I don't listen to them as often with my ZMFs in the fold and I do appreciate the Meze 109 Pro's. Is this upgrade worth the price or should I stick with them in their original form? They are my higher end Planar Magnetic headphones.
Stay with the original ... 🤷🏻‍♂️👍

Mar 27, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #2,691 of 2,721

$580 is not a particular good deal as you would still be stuck with the old style headband. You probably would rather sell your existing LCD-X for $350 to $400, and then wait to buy a factory refurbished latest version of LCD-X for around $950 (which is often available from different shops, ebay, etc).

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:31 PM Post #2,692 of 2,721
$580 is not a particular good deal as you would still be stuck with the old style headband*** You probably would rather sell your existing LCD-X for $350 to $400, and then wait to buy a factory refurbished latest version of LCD-X for around $950 (which is often available from different shops, ebay, etc).
*** Hoi! I like the old-style headband. It's comfortable and looks great with regular application of a dab of leather conditioner.

Mar 27, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #2,693 of 2,721
$580 is not a particular good deal as you would still be stuck with the old style headband. You probably would rather sell your existing LCD-X for $350 to $400, and then wait to buy a factory refurbished latest version of LCD-X for around $950 (which is often available from different shops, ebay, etc).
Thanks. That makes sense and will probably be the approach that I take.

Mar 28, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #2,694 of 2,721
So I've been out of the headphone game a while but was considering getting back in with an audeze lcd-x, owned one before and thought it was great (with eq of course).

Have just noticed the he1000 stealth is now selling for a similar price when different he1000 versions were almost double the price beforehand, anyone got experience with both to suggest what I should go for this time? Will be using eq regardless and while I do listen to jazz/classical the main genres will be rock/metal/edm

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #2,696 of 2,721
Any EQ setting for Mojo 2 that works well with LCD-X, as it is I find the Mojo 2 bit lacking dynamics and attack with this h/p even compared to the much less powerful dongle RU6.
... 'lacking dynamics and attack' is not a frequency response issue; EQ is not likely to remedy that situation. 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Mar 31, 2024 at 3:54 AM Post #2,697 of 2,721
... 'lacking dynamics and attack' is not a frequency response issue; EQ is not likely to remedy that situation. 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️
I was just taking a shot in the wild :smiley:, I read some folks say the LCD-X works great with Mojo 2 but I am not able to experience that because of the reason above (both rocks with other gears though), so thought maybe it is because of the EQ setting, I was bit too hopeful I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #2,698 of 2,721
This could be the headphone amplifier to match 2016 Audeze LCD-X:
IMG_7751.jpeg
[Tube in SparkoS Lab Gemini: Telefunken ECC801s] New life indeed!

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #2,699 of 2,721
I was just taking a shot in the wild :smiley:, I read some folks say the LCD-X works great with Mojo 2 but I am not able to experience that because of the reason above (both rocks with other gears though), so thought maybe it is because of the EQ setting, I was bit too hopeful I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️
I no longer have my Mojo2, but I do have a Hugo2. Hugo2 sounds very similar to Mojo2, albeit a little more controlled over all and some say, a bit brighter. Power output and impedances are pretty similar.
LCD-X and LCD-XC are both very efficient headphones, requiring little power to go very loud. Indeed I do believe they use the same drivers, just one happens to be a closed back, and that causes a different tuning (frequency response).
When I first heard the XC's at a Canjam with my own Hugo2, I was so smitten with the punch and attack and ofcourse the clarity of the sound (compared to my then, a modded Hifiman EDXS) that I bought one a couple of months later! A violinist friend, heard mine and loved it in an instant, but he wanted open back, so he got the LCD-X.
I have heard both headphones now with the Hugo2, and I can assure you, there is no sluggishness or slowness to the sound, what so ever!
What I suspect is, that some amps may create a distortion that in turn is heard as a hardness to the sound. Since the Audeze's have the lowest distortion ratings of many, that distortion, becomes very audible, and then it is mistaken as Attack.
Mojo2
can drive the Audeze's perfectly, to very loud levels. Scientifically and Subjectively.
Do not dismiss objective/scientific reasoning behind these arguments just because you are on a Hifi forum. People like Rob Watts and other top designers, design the very gear we all use, purely on scientific reasoning and objective measurements. They do use subjective listening testings AFTER they have nailed the science first.
The book confirms that Mojo2 and LCD-X (and indeed XC) will have no issues, and I confirm that they don't.

Apr 8, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #2,700 of 2,721
So I've been out of the headphone game a while but was considering getting back in with an audeze lcd-x, owned one before and thought it was great (with eq of course).

Have just noticed the he1000 stealth is now selling for a similar price when different he1000 versions were almost double the price beforehand, anyone got experience with both to suggest what I should go for this time? Will be using eq regardless and while I do listen to jazz/classical the main genres will be rock/metal/edm
The HE1K is more comfortable to wear, and requires less EQ out of the box (to my ears), has a pleasant sound too.
The LCD-X requires more EQ out of the box. But one thing the LCD-X does is that it is practically distortion-less!
That would tip the balance for me, even though HE1K is not far behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back