LCD-X and XC Update
Mar 25, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #2,431 of 2,729
This is the EQ I'm currently running with the LCD-X. I basically took the Oratory Harman curve EQ, tweaked it slightly to my liking, as I thought it was a bit too dark in the mids/upper mids, and also added some queues from Jonne's latest EQ's, especially on the bass. I love the controlled impactful bass these provide.

I have been mostly listening to indie rock and indie pop beat driven music lately. I like bass. So this has impactful bass, but it's so controlled by these cans I think it's beautiful, and the mids and highs come through fine.

Attachments

• LCD-X Blend.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #2,432 of 2,729
This is the EQ I'm currently running with the LCD-X. I basically took the Oratory Harman curve EQ, tweaked it slightly to my liking, as I thought it was a bit too dark in the mids/upper mids, and also added some queues from Jonne's latest EQ's, especially on the bass. I love the controlled impactful bass these provide.

I have been mostly listening to indie rock and indie pop beat driven music lately. I like bass. So this has impactful bass, but it's so controlled by these cans I think it's beautiful, and the mids and highs come through fine.
Was this made in PEACE? The txt file is read incorrectly when importing it into PEACE. There are no filter definitions and it looks weird in the graph. If it was made with PEACE to export an EQ properly, you want to go hit the "Commands" button then copy and paste the info in the "Commands of you equalizer configuration created by program" into a txt file. Then the information will be exactly importable by PEACE.

Ignore all this if you used a different program.

I'm curious to hear your work!

Blessings,
-J

Mar 25, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #2,433 of 2,729
Was this made in PEACE? The txt file is read incorrectly when importing it into PEACE. There are no filter definitions and it looks weird in the graph. If it was made with PEACE to export an EQ properly, you want to go hit the "Commands" button then copy and paste the info in the "Commands of you equalizer configuration created by program" into a txt file. Then the information will be exactly importable by PEACE.

Ignore all this if you used a different program.

I'm curious to hear your work!

Blessings,
-J
I did use PEACE and just hit export. Thanks for the knowledge, I had no idea.

I still have little knowledge of what the Q value does so I didn't mess with those. I think it has to do with how tightly to that frequency the adjustments stick. But hope this works.

If the bass is too much then just reduce those few settings a bit.

Attachments

• LCD-X Blend (2).txt
    604 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #2,434 of 2,729
I did use PEACE and just hit export. Thanks for the knowledge, I had no idea.

I still have little knowledge of what the Q value does so I didn't mess with those. I think it has to do with how tightly to that frequency the adjustments stick. But hope this works.
Yep, you got it working!

Sounds great, man! Good job! You can't go wrong starting with Oratory's EQ, that's originally what I did as well. It's a great starting point.

If you're so inclined, I'd encourage you to experiment with Q values as they will help you refine your sound even more if you want to do that!
Just a suggestion if you want to further study, but you don't have to of course because your EQ already sounds great!

Good going man!
Blessings,
-J

Mar 26, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #2,436 of 2,729
Is there anyway to EQ Amazon music? Im so curious what these cans could sound like tweaked a bit.

On your PC you use Equalizer APO with the PEACE UI installed over it.

These cans are amazing with EQ. The bass is all there, you just gotta bring it out, and tweak the mids and highs a bit to go along with it.

Mar 26, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #2,438 of 2,729
Shoot, I use a Mac. I really want to hear them eq’d!!! I can’t find anyway to do so with Amazon.
You're going to want to talk to a member named X-Frame. He has a Mac and through SoundSource and an Apple plugin, he was able to import and utilize all 31 of my filters from PEACE successfully with Q values and all.

So don't despair, I believe it is possible with a Mac.

Blessings,
-J

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #2,439 of 2,729
what is not so common-knowledge is that, the same does not apply to frequencies past a few hundred Hz! Why? because Musical peaks are naturally at -6dB and more for higher frequencies, probably at -20dB for +10kHz.

Us old farts who were listening to CDs with pre-emphasis back in the 80s know this. The CD pre-emphasis and de-emphasis curves worked because with natural sound you can boost the frequencies above 1 kHz quite a bit without digital clipping. The big sound energy that can cause digital clipping when boosted is below 1 kHz. But even then a few CDs with pre-emphasis do clip when de-emphasis is done. If you do the de-emphasis with SOX it will tell you if it detected clipping during the de-emphasis processing. A few pre-emphasis CDs do have clipping when digital de-emphasis is done, most don't.

Mar 26, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #2,440 of 2,729
Shoot, I use a Mac. I really want to hear them eq’d!!! I can’t find anyway to do so with Amazon.
Can confirm...soundsource is the way to go for mac. It allows system wide effects (via the stock audio units plugins or third party). They offer a free trial too. Good way to try out eq for a bit before buying the software.

Btw..im listening to amazon music hd on a mac using soundsource for system wide eq and crossfeed. It's pretty great.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #2,442 of 2,729
Thanks for the help! I’m running soundsource now. A lot of fun bumping the bass up and seeing what these headphones can do. Also having fun taming my grados at 2k.
Way cool! For mac, the AUNband eq audio units plugin is a good free eq and will let you save presets if you care to compare various eq.

One thing...the AUNband eq lists "width", as in bandwidth, as opposed to Q values. So you would simple have to find a bandwidth to q calculator online. Then you can use most eq settings you'd find out there for any of your headphones.

I only mention this because the AUNband audio units plugin allows the most eq points to tinker with(like 15 of so?), where as the AUparametric eq only gives you one eq point

Mar 27, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #2,443 of 2,729
Maybe I should take advantage of this and send them in for an upgrade?

Mar 31, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #2,444 of 2,729
Hey @DocHollidey,

I just adjusted the hex screws on my LCD-XC and I dare say I think you could do it without much fear of damaging anything. The screws are very loose and do not offer much resistance to tighten the posts to well beyond what is needed. Like I hardly felt any resistance on the part of the hex screws when I first tried it and when I tried to move the posts, the clamp was so tight that they wouldn't move!

I think you could do it without worrying about stripping anything...I think Audeze wants to cover their butts with the warning they gave you...also I would think you would want to adjust the tightness to your liking, and not rely on what Audeze would do. Also, they may loosen over time so it you might want to know how to do it anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

I wish I could teleport myself to you right now and do it for you, it would take 5 seconds.

Happily, my LCD-XCs are now duct tape free and looking beautiful!

Blessings
-J

PS - John Doc Holliday is one of my favorite historical characters of all time. In fact, I used his name as my stage name for my teen album. (I'm a musician). I loved Val Kilmer in Tombstone...maybe his best role.
Don't return your LCD-XC if your posts are loose. I did, got my new replacement pair today and had the same issue, but this time on my left post! It's endemic to the headset and no big deal - that's what the hex nut adjustment is for.

In fact, in anticipation, I was ready, having already ordered one of those tiny hex key kits before I got my replacement headset. I have carefully adjusted my post's hex screw as per Audeze and Jonne Haven's suggestions. Works wonderfully, no stripping, no issues at all.

And the sound is still marvelous . . .

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #2,445 of 2,729
For Jonne Haven and everyone: Don't return your LCD-XC if your posts are loose. I did, got my new replacement pair today and had the same issue, but this time on my left post! It's endemic to the headset and no big deal - that's what the hex nut adjustment is for.

In fact, in anticipation, I was ready, having already ordered one of those tiny hex key kits before I got my replacement headset. I have carefully adjusted my post's hex screw as per Audeze and Jonne Haven's suggestions. Works wonderfully, no stripping, no issues at all.

And the sound is still marvelous . . .

That's awesome for you, Doc!

Smart of you to order a kit in advance,
and you're all set for any future slips, a true doityourselfer!

Blessings,
-J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back