LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 1, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #2,446 of 2,722
Has anyone been able to listen to an LCD-X/XC on the Cayin HA-3A and come to a conclusion?
Perfect would be a comparison between Icon Audio HP8 and the Cayin HA-3A, or one of the tubes against the Violectric HPA V222 / V281.

I'm happy with both LCDs on the Violectric V222, but I still wonder if there is something to be gained by using a tube amplifier :thinking:

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #2,447 of 2,722
LCD-X is wonderful on Icon Audio HP8 Signature; and LCD-X comes into its own when Violectric HPA V281 is its driver …
056E3B9F-0E08-4D80-82D6-18186B3E285C.jpeg
[2016 vintage: always a sonic treat with clarity, detail, excitement, pace, timbre of the real thing.]

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #2,448 of 2,722
LCD-X is wonderful on Icon Audio HP8 Signature; and LCD-X comes into its own when Violectric HPA V281 is its driver …
I think I recognized from some of your older photos, the „Icon Audio HP8“ often occupies a place of honor on your shelf, way up on the right, not too close to the source devices, that makes me think....

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #2,449 of 2,722
I think I recognized from some of your older photos, the „Icon Audio HP8“ often occupies a place of honor on your shelf, way up on the right, not too close to the source devices, that makes me think....
When any of my h/p/a are on the shelf, they are idle, off, power cord disconnected. They cannot be EMI / RFI emitters or sources. Where an idle h/p/a sits on the shelf depends on which h/p/a, previously on that shelf, has been ‘called to active duty’.

Apr 29, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #2,450 of 2,722
Hey Guys,

Thought I would let you all know of an amplifier which is a great match for the LCD-X.

The Atoll HD120 is quite an old unit now but that does not stop it from sounding brilliant.

Deep Bass, Wide Soundstage and the midrange is that euphonic type which is addicting to listen too.

Fully discrete and Class A, includes a DAC and works as a preamp, price is £800.

I have no affiliation with Atoll, I was recommended this from a local dealer.

Just goes to show to not always chase the latest and greatest in HI-FI, sometimes you can find a hidden gem.

Apr 29, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #2,451 of 2,722
"I was recommended this from a local dealer".

Mine recommended amphetamines.

Well, that's one way to move old stock.

I'm sure you thoroughly auditioned it before purchase.

Ignore this, in a grumpy mood.

Last edited:
May 3, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #2,452 of 2,722
4 more amps to research?! How am I ever going to commit...

May 3, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #2,453 of 2,722
4 more amps to research?! How am I ever going to commit...
I’ve been in your position, trying to make the right decision without hearing a product is hard sometimes.

People will say you can run the LCD X from anything and yeah you might get them loud, but there’s a huge difference between something getting loud and actually being driven properly.

I would avoid anything sterile sounding, I’ve tried these headphones on the K9 Pro and it was a bit too cold for me.

If you don’t want to go down the esoteric route like I suggested, look into the JDS Labs el stack, I heard that with the LCD X and it was actually a really good match, but for just a bit more you could get the atoll unit and have more potential there.

Just my honest opinion from owning these headphones for nearly a year.

May 4, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #2,454 of 2,722
I’ve been in your position, trying to make the right decision without hearing a product is hard sometimes.

People will say you can run the LCD X from anything and yeah you might get them loud, but there’s a huge difference between something getting loud and actually being driven properly.

I would avoid anything sterile sounding, I’ve tried these headphones on the K9 Pro and it was a bit too cold for me.

If you don’t want to go down the esoteric route like I suggested, look into the JDS Labs el stack, I heard that with the LCD X and it was actually a really good match, but for just a bit more you could get the atoll unit and have more potential there.

Is the ESS or AK K9 pro?
I got the 4499 and i enjoy them. But i am more oriented toward hearing the music as detailed and analytical possible, so i might be biased toward such characteristics.

May 7, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #2,456 of 2,722

I agree with staying away from sterile. While I wouldn’t call the LCD-X cold, I like it best with a warm amp.

May 7, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #2,457 of 2,722
With Audeze LCD-X (2016 vintage), DC power from twin 9V batteries is something else! when it comes to sound 😳:
86D53E9D-A438-4170-940A-E9269D60AB52.jpeg
music blossoms from nothingness!

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #2,458 of 2,722
I was asked for a PEQ setting for LCD-X 2021 model, usable with the RME ADI-2 series of DAC/phones amps.
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=202197#p202197

Fully correcting to the measurement gives weird results in my experience, specially in the treble range.
Bass boost amount (BB / 130 Hz Bass Band gain) depends on listening level and personal taste.

557EA17D-90C7-47A7-BFAE-2AA05E386467.jpeg

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #2,459 of 2,722
Is the ESS or AK K9 pro?
I got the 4499 and i enjoy them. But i am more oriented toward hearing the music as detailed and analytical possible, so i might be biased toward such characteristics.
Me too enjoy with Ak K9 Pro, have you ever EQ ing it?
Had to eq it with Peace to my taste, so that the bass was enough for me

May 10, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #2,460 of 2,722
Me too enjoy with Ak K9 Pro, have you ever EQ ing it?
Had to eq it with Peace to my taste, so that the bass was enough for me
I sincerely didn't EQ it at all, though it's known that the XC equalize with zero distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back