LCD-X and XC Update
Jan 31, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #2,296 of 2,722
I have the LCD-X headphones and I'm currently using a Chord Mojo 2 connected to my laptop. Since this is a low impedance headphone, will there be any benefit by adding a high powered Amplifier or is that over kill? I don't understand if a power hungry amp like the Schiit Ragnarok 2 would help the headphone or not since the ohm impedance is so low. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Jan 31, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #2,297 of 2,722
I have the LCD-X headphones and I'm currently using a Chord Mojo 2 connected to my laptop. Since this is a low impedance headphone, will there be any benefit by adding a high powered Amplifier or is that over kill? I don't understand if a power hungry amp like the Schiit Ragnarok 2 would help the headphone or not since the ohm impedance is so low. Any help would be appreciated, thanks
Don't know about the Schiit amp.
Mojo2 can drive them very well, and no, you don't need anything else.
I think you are a bit confused about impedance and sensitivity.
Anyhow, I doubt much beyond Mojo2 would make a difference.
Perhaps a Hugo2 !

Jan 31, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #2,298 of 2,722
Don't know about the Schiit amp.
Mojo2 can drive them very well, and no, you don't need anything else.
I think you are a bit confused about impedance and sensitivity.
Anyhow, I doubt much beyond Mojo2 would make a difference.
Perhaps a Hugo2 !
I’ll look more into the difference between impedance and sensitivity, thanks for the advice

Jan 31, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #2,299 of 2,722
If Mojo 2 is all you had to listen LCD-X with, you haven't really heard true them yet.

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #2,300 of 2,722
Headphones in general benefit from greater power - in a DAP, in a dedicated headphone amplifier. Why? Because music is filled with contrasts of soft & loud, high & low, simple & complex. To convey well all this through a headphone, an amplifier needs power ‘in reserve’. An amplifier will typically offer a fraction of its capable power - but when the music kicks up, the amplifier has to ‘stand & deliver’. This means more power has to be immediately delivered.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #2,301 of 2,722
Low impedance phones are easy to drive, high impedance headphones like 300ohms or 600ohms usually are better with tubes amps, you didn't mention what year your LCD- X is, but I see that current LCD-X is 20ohms with a sensitivity of 103db, that is a very easy headphone to drive, the Ragnarok 2 would be over kill for that phone, one problem would be that you won't have much volume range, meaning as soon you start turning the volume the headphone is going to be already loud, you would have little volume control, I think you are confusing impedance with sensitivity, when sensitivity is low the phone is harder to drive, for example a 89db sensitivity is much harder to drive than a 103db phone.

Feb 1, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #2,302 of 2,722
I've been running my LCD-X 2021 on an atom stack since I got it in September, absolutely love it, 10/10, no desire to upgrade, etc.

Am I really missing out by not getting a better amp? I was always under the impression atom stack covers it perfectly fine since LCD-X is so easy to drive sufficiently.

Feb 1, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #2,303 of 2,722
Headphones in general benefit from greater power - in a DAP, in a dedicated headphone amplifier. Why? Because music is filled with contrasts of soft & loud, high & low, simple & complex. To convey well all this through a headphone, an amplifier needs power ‘in reserve’. An amplifier will typically offer a fraction of its capable power - but when the music kicks up, the amplifier has to ‘stand & deliver’. This means more power has to be immediately delivered.
LCD-X has a sensitivity of 103dB for one tiny milliwatt!
Why would one feels that this particular headphone would benefit or need more than 400+ mW is beyond me. A less sensitive device, such as Hifiman Edition X with a 92dB sensitivity, may! but I have an EDXS, and it goes pretty loud, pretty dynamic with a couple of hundred milliwatts.
However, sometimes, because of some side-effect issues, a bigger amp may be beneficial;
- If the headphone requires massive EQ
If you need to boost lower frequencies, specially bass, by a large amount (6dB and beyond), then you must use a preamp-cut by the same amount, to make sure your player does not go into digital overload. This preamp cut, means that you may require more gain. If the amp is fed with 6dB or more cut, then it may not reach it max. power, so an amp with higher power (and therefore higher gain) maybe beneficial.
I know a member is suggesting EQ profiles with very high preamp cuts on this very thread. Anyone using those profiles, would require a speaker amp to run his headphones!
- if the amp is only clean and transparent, at a fraction of its max. output.
I will not name, names! but there are headphone amps by some famous brands, with advertised few watts of output power, but their distortion starts to rise past a few tens of milliwatts. In such a case, the clean output range maybe limited, so a bigger (such amp) would have more of a transparent output power.
- Some amps can not drive low impedance loads.
Such amps are current limited, and/or have high output impedance. Connect a load of 20 ohms or less , and output power can drop rapidly. So although the amp may be able to output (say) 2W into 32 ohms, its output maybe a few hundred milliwatts driving a 16 ohm load.
None of the above situations apply to a Mojo2!
Mojo2 is a high performance device, it can happily drive 8 ohm loads or less, it has clean output for almost 99% of it half a watt max. output.
Now, LCD-X does need EQ bass boost and some midrange boost.
However, Mojo2 has its own tone controls! so using them, means no preamp cut at DAP level.
So you get your cake (half a watt) that you can eat ( i.e. use all of it).

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #2,304 of 2,722
There is night and day difference driving LCD-X out of FiiO BTR-7 (Output Power BAL : 235mW@16 Ohm / 320mW@32 Ohm / 40mW@300 Ohm)
For comparison Mojo 2 is (600mW@30 Ohms/90mW@300 Ohms)
Versus my desktop amps (Headamp GS-1, Auralic Taurus MK II).
It's not just loudness, which BTR7 has plenty with room to spare, but dynamics, bass authority, clarity, and details. Everything is smaller, veiled, and "polite" out of portable.
OP, just try some side by side comparison with good desktop stack and decide for yourself, recommendations are typically biased toward what people actually use, take them with a grain of salt.

Feb 1, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #2,305 of 2,722
I've been running my LCD-X 2021 on an atom stack since I got it in September, absolutely love it, 10/10, no desire to upgrade, etc.

Am I really missing out by not getting a better amp? I was always under the impression atom stack covers it perfectly fine since LCD-X is so easy to drive sufficiently.
You are not missing out on the enjoyment! You are in the ‘sweet zone’; be thankful! 🙂

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #2,306 of 2,722
There is night and day difference driving LCD-X out of FiiO BTR-7 (Output Power BAL : 235mW@16 Ohm / 320mW@32 Ohm / 40mW@300 Ohm)
For comparison Mojo 2 is (600mW@30 Ohms/90mW@300 Ohms)
Versus my desktop amps (Headamp GS-1, Auralic Taurus MK II).
It's not just loudness, which BTR7 has plenty with room to spare, but dynamics, bass authority, clarity, and details. Everything is smaller, veiled, and "polite" out of portable.
OP, just try some side by side comparison with good desktop stack and decide for yourself, recommendations are typically biased toward what people actually use, take them with a grain of salt.
The Auralic Taurus is a super stand alone amp. If it sounds better than a tiny Mojo2, is not because it has just more power.
It has full class A power all the way, Mojo2 is class AB for lower impedance headphones, running on batteries.
As you say, it is not just loudness, correctly. Power is loudness! BTR7 at 250mW goes pretty loud, but surely it does not have the same resolution and SQ of the Auralic.
What DAC are you using?

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #2,307 of 2,722
An LCD-X doesn’t have to be a 2021 to deliver the 🎼 goods!
E89A9530-1E64-4441-A3F6-232C23A642C3.jpeg
[2016]

Feb 2, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #2,308 of 2,722
On the subject of amps, I just got a Lyr+ in today as an upgrade to my Asgard 3. HUGE difference from the LCD-X between the two amps, even in SS mode. The HD600 behaves more similarly between the two amps. I would go as far as to say the Asgard 3 is just not a great pairing for the X, as I liked almost every other output a little more. The A3 is too smoothed over with some vagueness in the imaging. The Lyr+ is much more energetic across all frequencies, has pinpoint imaging, and feels much more complete overall. Like previously stated, I'm sure you can get good quality amps for cheaper than the Lyr+. Just sharing my experiences switching from the A3.

Feb 4, 2023 at 1:03 AM Post #2,309 of 2,722
Just got my LCD X 2021 yesterday and I can’t stop listening to them. I was expecting good bass, which it has, but what I love is the midrange. It’s smooth and creamy yet a tenor sax can have a rasp to it. Closely mic’s vocals are so intimate it’s like I’m in the booth. Entrancing. I’m running mine out of a Hugo 2 and I’m very happy with the sound. Down the line I may upgrade to a “real” headphone amp, but until then I’m a happy man!

Feb 4, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #2,310 of 2,722
Just got my LCD X 2021 yesterday and I can’t stop listening to them. I was expecting good bass, which it has, but what I love is the midrange. It’s smooth and creamy yet a tenor sax can have a rasp to it. Closely mic’s vocals are so intimate it’s like I’m in the booth. Entrancing. I’m running mine out of a Hugo 2 and I’m very happy with the sound. Down the line I may upgrade to a “real” headphone amp, but until then I’m a happy man!
Glad for you. The LCD-X is very good.
once you do get a real amp, pleade come back and tell us.
Because i did! a big Burson , then I came back to Hugo2 .
Just saying.
Enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back