LCD-X and XC Update
Feb 11, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #2,327 of 2,740
For those using aftermarket cables...what are you using and how do you feel it affects the sound positively?

Feb 11, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #2,328 of 2,740
For those using aftermarket cables...what are you using and how do you feel it affects the sound positively?
• Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid (TRS & XLR)
• Norne Audio Vygarde (TRS & XLR)

Both cables are copper / silver interwoven, not plated. Benefits: airiness, clarity, finer delineation of soundstage…inter alia.

Feb 12, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #2,331 of 2,740
The problem with the bundled cable is its single ended only... otherwise its OK
Well two suggestions:
- LCD-X and XC are both very efficient , no doubt due to double magnets, so single ended should have enough juice.
- if balanced is required, jusy get a cheap temp. controlled soldering iron from Amazon, and replace the 1/4 inch plug. All wiring is already there.
I bet, including the cost of the iron and a good jack, one can not only save money, but have a bit of fun too.

I have an original Audeze cable on ebay for sale. If anyone is interested in buying it, for the cost of the jack, I shall convert it.

Feb 12, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #2,337 of 2,740
if your selling your Audeze Single Ended cable what are you going to use with your headphones...
Well spotted! good one.
For some unscientific reasons, I have got myself into single-solid-core pure-silver cables.
A year ago, I made a bunch of cables, and I had a bunch of ready-made cables. And I did blind test them.
I could spot the solid-core cables most of the time, as sounding ever so slightly better.
Silver, made no difference to the sound, even cheap common copper was the same, however, once you go single solid core, the cable gets a bit stiff, and difficult to handle for everyday use.
I used fully annealed (a heating precess), pure silver wire, for its softness.
I have one for sale on eBay, the one I made for my (now sold) Hifiman EDXS.
Before, I even got my hands on my LCD-XC, I had made a cable for it, and that's, what I use.
The case and the cable are up for grabs now.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/post-16823851

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #2,338 of 2,740
A lot of the time a cable could make a difference in how the headphone sounds but it depends on how resolving the headphone is... a headphone that resolves very well will reveal differences in the chain better than a headphone that does not reveal well.... as an example... the LCD-5 would reveal a difference with a cable swap versus an LCD-X or LCD-XC could .... sometimes spending extra money on a upgraded cable can be a waste of money... I wouldn't put a $500 cable on a M50... you won't hear the change...

Feb 12, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #2,339 of 2,740
A lot of the time a cable could make a difference in how the headphone sounds but it depends on how resolving the headphone is... a headphone that resolves very well will reveal differences in the chain better than a headphone that does not reveal well.... as an example... the LCD-5 would reveal a difference with a cable swap versus an LCD-X or LCD-XC could .... sometimes spending extra money on a upgraded cable can be a waste of money... I wouldn't put a $500 cable on a M50... you won't hear the change...
At last London Canjam, while at Audeze stand, I spent some time listening to Audeze range, for first time.
To my ears, with the hour I had there, The XC 2021 was the best sounding headphone they had! I heard the lot! Second best was the X!
I was so smitten, I bought one a few months latter, and I don't regret it, even though I have to EQ them.
Amps used on the day, were some Burson chunky amps (supplied by Audeze) and my own Hugo2.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #2,340 of 2,740
from a personal view I think the LCD-XC21 is a fantastic closed back... it beats the LCD-X .... probably the best value in open backs right now is the Hifiman HE1000 Stealth that is being released at $1999 ... its a pretty amazing headphone... if you have a LCD-XC21 and a HE1000 Stealth you pretty much have a end game... depending on DAC/Amp mating...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back