LCD-X and XC Update
Feb 12, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #2,341 of 2,740
from a personal view I think the LCD-XC21 is a fantastic closed back... it beats the LCD-X .... probably the best value in open backs right now is the Hifiman HE1000 Stealth that is being released at $1999 ... its a pretty amazing headphone... if you have a LCD-XC21 and a HE1000 Stealth you pretty much have a end game... depending on DAC/Amp mating...
I agree, the HE1000S is very very good too. On that day, I had my slightly modified Edition XS with me.
I confidently say, it sounded better than a factory EDXS, even reps from Hifiman agreed, they even took some pictures of the mods. and questioned me at some length about them. Some lucky guy has just bought it off me. I didn't need it after I got my XC.
However, the difference between EDXS and the HE1000S was not all that much! even less with mine.
As good as HE1000S is, the EDXS is much better value, probably the best value headphone in Hifiman range.
For the money, I can't think of another that beats it.

Feb 12, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #2,342 of 2,740
The question of which people prefer, the LCD-X 2021 vs. the LCD-XC 2021 is very interesting to me. Even though it is open vs closed back.

So I put this question out there for everyone owning or having tried both headphones...
Which do you prefer, and if you wish to add why, please do so!

Blessings,
-J

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #2,343 of 2,740
If i were to fork 2k, i think i'll just go all in waiting to grind 5k for the LCD-5.

Feb 12, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #2,344 of 2,740
love the experience of conditioning the leather ear pads overnight, buffing the excess next morning and having soft, supple ear pads again

Feb 14, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #2,345 of 2,740
Ok, I'm stumped. I've already sent a message to Audeze Support about this, but wanted to see if anyone has opinions.

I just purchased a set of the new LCD pads directly from Audeze. The package clearly states "Black Leather, W-Open Cell Foam, LCD" on it. Awesome...except...these look and feel IDENTICAL to the pads that are already on my LCD-X (2020 version). How is that possible? The manufacture date on my FR Graph (provided by Audeze Support based on S/N) is NOV 2020.

I purchased these LCD-X from eBay (World Wide Stereo Outlet) in Jan 2021 as an open box set. I can't seem to find the initial release date of the new LCD pads, so is it possible that my 2020 version came with (or were swapped via the original owner) the new open-cell foam LCD pads?

I'm trying to figure this out so I can return these (potentially) unnecessary pads if in reality I already have them. At the same time, I'd be kind of bummed if I already have the new pads, as I would really like to get even more upper mid presence without the need for EQ.

Also, based on ALL the pictures I've seen online, I'm fairly convinced I have the leather-free pads as both, but I ordered the leather pads. The ones I have (and ordered) appear to be more stiff in feel and matte in finish (vs. photos of the leather versions all appearing to be more "relaxed" and shinier in finish). So I'm doubly stumped.

Thanks!

Attachments

• LCD-X 2020 vs New LCD pads_6.jpg
    LCD-X 2020 vs New LCD pads_6.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 0
  • LCD-X 2020 vs New LCD pads_5.jpg
    LCD-X 2020 vs New LCD pads_5.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 0
  • LCD-X 2020 vs New LCD pads_4.jpg
    LCD-X 2020 vs New LCD pads_4.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 0
  • LCD-X 2020 vs New LCD pads_3.jpg
    LCD-X 2020 vs New LCD pads_3.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 0
  • LCD-X 2020 vs New LCD pads_2.jpg
    LCD-X 2020 vs New LCD pads_2.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 0
  • LCD-X 2020 vs New LCD pads_1.jpg
    LCD-X 2020 vs New LCD pads_1.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #2,346 of 2,740
Also, based on ALL the pictures I've seen online, I'm fairly convinced I have the leather-free pads as both, but I ordered the leather pads. The ones I have (and ordered) appear to be more stiff in feel and matte in finish (vs. photos of the leather versions all appearing to be more "relaxed" and shinier in finish. So I'm doubly stumped.
Put some leather conditioner on the earpad and see if the texture changes.

Feb 14, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #2,347 of 2,740
This is why I don't like people calling it the 2021 revision, when the revision started in Nov 2020. So yeah, I would think you have the new pads already.

Just as a note: It was the public calling it 2021, not Audeze. Internally it was a Nov 2020 change. Pads were rolled out throughout the next few months after.

If you wanna make sure what you got, run your fingers through the driver surface. If you feel 6 fazors, it's the newer revision. The pads came with that revision.

Looking at those, those are def leather. Leather free definitely feels different to the touch as well.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #2,348 of 2,740
This is why I don't like people calling it the 2021 revision, when the revision started in Nov 2020. So yeah, I would think you have the new pads already.

Just as a note: It was the public calling it 2021, not Audeze. Internally it was a Nov 2020 change. Pads were rolled out throughout the next few months after.

If you wanna make sure what you got, run your fingers through the driver surface. If you feel 6 fazors, it's the newer revision. The pads came with that revision.

Looking at those, those are def leather. Leather free definitely feels different to the touch as well.

The 2020 vs 2021 naming has been confusing as hell for sure. On my FR graph provided by Audeze, my manufacture date is Nov 10, 2020. The serial number is 7527538, and according to Audeze's post in the beginning of this thread, they made the change to all new revisions starting with serial number 7527600 on Nov 23, 2020. So this set was clearly suuuuuuper close to that cutoff.

I do feel the 6 fazors when running along the driver surface. I guess I do have the newer revision then? Just seems odd, as my FR graph still has that deep drop-off between 3-5kHz, which I was hoping that getting the "new" pads would improve as I've read in multiple places. FR graph attached for reference.

I would prefer to address that with hardware rather than software EQ, but maybe it just is what it is with the set I have.

Attachments

• Audeze LCD-X_Frequency Response Graph.png
    Audeze LCD-X_Frequency Response Graph.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 0
Feb 14, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #2,349 of 2,740
Also, based on ALL the pictures I've seen online, I'm fairly convinced I have the leather-free pads as both, but I ordered the leather pads. The ones I have (and ordered) appear to be more stiff in feel and matte in finish (vs. photos of the leather versions all appearing to be more "relaxed" and shinier in finish). So I'm doubly stumped.

Thanks!

I just compared your pictures with my new revision LCD-X pads and they look like the real deal - the leather version.

Feb 14, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #2,350 of 2,740
I do feel the 6 fazors when running along the driver surface. I guess I do have the newer revision then? Just seems odd, as my FR graph still has that deep drop-off between 3-5kHz, which I was hoping that getting the "new" pads would improve as I've read in multiple places. FR graph attached for reference.

I would prefer to address that with hardware rather than software EQ, but maybe it just is what it is with the set I have.
Looks like you have a 6dB lower valley in the midrange than the LCD-X '21 I have. Maybe they were halfway through refining the tuning and you got a bit of the old revision and a bit of the new? Or maybe I have a particularly bright pair of drivers...

LCD-X graph.png

Feb 14, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #2,351 of 2,740
Looks like you have a 6dB lower valley in the midrange than the LCD-X '21 I have. Maybe they were halfway through refining the tuning and you got a bit of the old revision and a bit of the new? Or maybe I have a particularly bright pair of drivers...

LCD-X graph.png
This is from an XC 2021, and the dip is here too.

1676407403234.png

But this dip does not bother me as much as the broad lift from 1-3kHz.
I EQ that lift, but leave the 4kHz one alone.
And the bass droop? haha, don't believe it!
Graphs are OK, but believe your ears over them.

Feb 15, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #2,352 of 2,740
Thanks to @Mad Lust Envy for the support on the Audeze end. As it turns out, I do have the latest revision of the LCD-X, likely one of the earliest runs of the new revision changes. Likewise, what I have are the leather pads, which I no longer need the ones I purchased. On to finding additional EQ solutions :)

Feb 15, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #2,353 of 2,740
An experiment, LCD-XC owners:
I wonder if XC-2021 users are willing to carryout an experiment and report back.
For me the XC sounds a bit bright and deep sub-bass shy.
I just removed one screw from the cups.
To me deep bass improves. I don't know if the distortion levels at bass would suffer or not, but I guess not, since the X-21 also has superb low distortion figures.
So if you please, remove one screw and live with them for a week and report back.
Then we see what's going on if enough people report back.
Just a warning. When tightening cup screws, finger tight will do. The threads on the cups are soft.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #2,354 of 2,740
An experiment, LCD-XC owners:
I wonder if XC-2021 users are willing to carryout an experiment and report back.
For me the XC sounds a bit bright and deep sub-bass shy.
I just removed one screw from the cups.
To me deep bass improves. I don't know if the distortion levels at bass would suffer or not, but I guess not, since the X-21 also has superb low distortion figures.
So if you please, remove one screw and live with them for a week and report back.
Then we see what's going on if enough people report back.
Just a warning. When tightening cup screws, finger tight will do. The threads on the cups are soft.
For the XC to really shine, there are two (maybe three) things:

1. custom foam or material inserts for earpads interior for better comfort and warmer sound
2. very good quality custom cable instead of the crappy stock
3. 99% seal mod (aka Spacer Mod).

I've been experimenting acoustically with my XC since two years already and this is probably the best thing I came up with. LCD-XC are VERY sensitive for sealing and the point is to get the sweet spot sealing. With it, there is no problem with sound isolation or sound leakage, yet the sound is much more realistic with better bass, better imaging and soundstage, without "flat" highs with tendency to become overly bright.

Such things I've got when my earcups on XC were screwed too tight (and there is a risk of damaging the earcups).

But at the same time the earcups can't be too loose (resonances and uneven seal/sound) or with greater distance (hollow sounding, very poor control over bass region, worsened sound isolation).

The mod is very simple and contains 8 pieces of 5 mm x 1 mm x 1mm adhesive rubber pads put in the places where the screws are.

wiEM0xX.jpg

Blue markings are the supposed pads.

SHlVoDl.jpg

cUdoYdH.jpg

The absolute requirement is a 1 mm height. With such, I was able to make them sound the right way. The Mod was performed on other XC and by other people - the same results and very positive effects. As i said, I've had XC with very tight seal which causes them to sound flat with very weak bass and unattractive tone. I dare to say, in my case they advanced with few classes up.

Just give it a try, even out of curiosity.

@Kentajalli, There was some discussion about this in the original LCD-XC thread - people were loosening the screws or even using o-rings as spacers. I tried this back when I had an XC.

Feb 16, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #2,355 of 2,740
@Kentajalli, There was some discussion about this in the original LCD-XC thread - people were loosening the screws or even using o-rings as spacers. I tried this back when I had an XC.
Thanx for the info.
What was your take when you tried some?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back