LCD-X and XC Update
Jan 11, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #2,266 of 2,740
Does anyone know if they made the changes if you bought the bubinga version in 2021?
The easiest way to tell is by running your fingers on the driver surface. If you feel 6 horizontal sharp bars, it's revised to latest spec. If it's MORE than 6 bars, it's pre-driver changes. It really is that simple.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jan 11, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #2,267 of 2,740
The easiest way to tell is by running your fingers on the driver surface. If you feel 6 horizontal sharp bars, it's revised to latest spec. If it's MORE than 6 bars, it's pre-driver changes. It really is that simple.
And those who believe that FR is the final word for headphones, they should listen to the XC 2021.
You can EQ it or not, resolution is there regardless.
No amount of EQ, no matter how severe, can make my Hifiman have similar resolution to my XC!
Don't forget , I absolutely love my Hifiman, for its price, it has one hell of value.
But still . . .

Jan 13, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #2,268 of 2,740
With distinction, still in my listening rotation is LCD-X of 2016 vintage:
6E008A2D-9F67-4D36-8265-CC5A732E3FAA.jpeg
(driven currently by Liquid Platinum, Mullard E88CC NOS, LPS-36)

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #2,269 of 2,740
Coming back from HD800S to LCD-X (2021)... damn the LCD-X just has so much kick in the low end. Clean and clear, effortless sound. Driven from Topping A90D, LCD-X may be my favourite all-rounder headphone... at least until I get the HEDDphone (?)

Jan 17, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #2,270 of 2,740
Coming back from HD800S to LCD-X (2021)... damn the LCD-X just has so much kick in the low end. Clean and clear, effortless sound. Driven from Topping A90D, LCD-X may be my favourite all-rounder headphone... at least until I get the HEDDphone (?)
I compared the HD800S in a store Vs the LCD-XC. In my opinion, the contest was brutal, and the XC were a league ahead.

Jan 17, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #2,271 of 2,740
I love my XC 2021, however they are brutally bright!
This is my EQ for them on my phone.

Screenshot_20230117_212412_com.neutroncode.mp~2.jpg

I can listen to them with no EQ, but it gets painful after a while.
But resolution is so high and distortion so low, I can enjoy them with or without .

Jan 19, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #2,272 of 2,740
How robust is the supplied cable. Seems fragile after the y split, 2 very thin wires to each cup. Any recommendations for very cheap rugged replacement? Sub $50?

Jan 20, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #2,274 of 2,740
The cables from Audeze are fine... the only issue I wish they would adopt is a solution where you can pull the connector at the source end and install either SE or XLR.... the cable would be just about perfect... and they could also add a 4.4 option too... or a 3.5mm to round it out... the quality is fine for what they offer...

Jan 20, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #2,275 of 2,740
The cables from Audeze are fine... the only issue I wish they would adopt is a solution where you can pull the connector at the source end and install either SE or XLR.... the cable would be just about perfect... and they could also add a 4.4 option too... or a 3.5mm to round it out... the quality is fine for what they offer...
I fully agree with that.
Contrary to common mis-belief! balanced does not sound better, nor is superior in any way, save for more power.
However, since they are fairly efficient, meaning they need little power to go fairly loud, the need for balanced cable is minimized.
But it doesn't hurt to have a 4.4mm balanced, with a simple adaptor for 3.5mm.
At any rate, I made my own!
If anyone is desperate for a 3.5mm or 4.4mm balanced cable, I still have the factory cable that came with my XC 2021.
PM me and I can change the connection, for an agreed fee.

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #2,276 of 2,740
well you got it mostly correct... a balanced cable won't sound better or worse than a SE cable if they are both made from the same materials... but...
some amplifiers have better topography in a balanced circuit vs the SE circuit in the same amp... and some amps sound better from the balanced output than they do from the SE output.. so contrary to a common mis-belief in some stacks the balanced does sound better and is superior and more power available if required... I'll take a large amount of power over a small amount of power any day.... with a more powerful amp I can turn the gain and the volume knob to accommodate the headphone being utilized.. if I have an amp with a small amount of power you don't have a choice with the gain or volume knob...

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #2,277 of 2,740
Me encanta mi XC 2021, ¡pero son brutalmente brillantes!
Este es mi EQ para ellos en mi teléfono.

[ADJUNTAR=completo]4343749[/ADJUNTAR]

Puedo escucharlos sin ecualizador, pero se vuelve doloroso después de un tiempo.
Pero la resolución es tan alta y la distorsión tan baja que puedo disfrutarlos con o sin .
Hello brother, I have a couple of questions, when you use EQ you can tame the treble and use the XC without getting fatigued, and if you use the xc for games or movies in addition to music, how is the experience, and compared to the X if you heard it?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #2,278 of 2,740
Hello brother, I have a couple of questions, when you use EQ you can tame the treble and use the XC without getting fatigued, and if you use the xc for games or movies in addition to music, how is the experience, and compared to the X if you heard it?
I only use the XC 2021 for music. No gaming or TV.
With EQ, There is no fatigue, but the weight means, moving your head and the headphones can move about.
There are no ventilation on the phones, so after a while your ears can sweat!
But the sound is good enough for me to keep them.
If I was to redesign them, this is what I would do:
- Make the whole thing out of carbon fibre!
- No metal enclosures, smaller screws, lighter side fixtures and extension bar, to keep the weight down as much as possible.
- I would change the sockets to 3.5mm mounted at an angle near the back of the yoke fixing. This way the sockets won't touch my body, and chances are, if the cable is pulled, the jacks would pull out and cable won't get damaged.
- Make the inside of the earcups, not square! so that my ears won't keep touching the cups!
- Better still, perhaps use ear shaped cups.
You see I also have a pair of Hifiman Edition-XS.
They do not sound as good as the XC 2021, but are far far more comfortable. (after I fitted my own leather strap)

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #2,279 of 2,740
I only use the XC 2021 for music. No gaming or TV.
With EQ, There is no fatigue, but the weight means, moving your head and the headphones can move about.
There are no ventilation on the phones, so after a while your ears can sweat!
But the sound is good enough for me to keep them.
If I was to redesign them, this is what I would do:
- Make the whole thing out of carbon fibre!
- No metal enclosures, smaller screws, lighter side fixtures and extension bar, to keep the weight down as much as possible.
- I would change the sockets to 3.5mm mounted at an angle near the back of the yoke fixing. This way the sockets won't touch my body, and chances are, if the cable is pulled, the jacks would pull out and cable won't get damaged.
- Make the inside of the earcups, not square! so that my ears won't keep touching the cups!
- Better still, perhaps use ear shaped cups.
You see I also have a pair of Hifiman Edition-XS.
They do not sound as good as the XC 2021, but are far far more comfortable. (after I fitted my own leather strap)
if a better amp is used, from your experience does the XC do a better job or just the EQ does it better? great brother, cheers and continue enjoying XC.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #2,280 of 2,740
if a better amp is used, from your experience does the XC do a better job or just the EQ does it better? great brother, cheers and continue enjoying XC.
The EQ is only good to tune the sound to my liking.
EQ can not do anything else!
there is no substitute for a resolving DAC and amplifier. Also the recording must be good.
connect the XC to a $50 phone, and it will sound rubbish.
Some people believe, they can get a $10 headphone, EQ the hell out of it, and it will sound like a $1000 Audeze . Not possible.
My phone can drive the XC, sure, but it does not sound anything like my Hugo 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back