LCD-X and XC Update
Mar 2, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #1,667 of 2,741
What amps are you guys using for this EQ settings? I've tried it, the high frequencies were way too much for my system.

Give my EQ a try. It is about as balanced as you can get.

Pre-Amp = -6

25Hz = +1.5 Q 2
Low Shelf 55Hz = +3 Q 1.4
Low Shelf 120Hz = +1 Q 1.4
450Hz = +1 Q 3.5
700Hz = -1 Q 3.5
1.1kHz = +1 Q 3.5
1.95kHz = +1 Q 3.5
3.6kHz = +2.5 Q 4
4.1kHz = +1 Q 3
5.6kHz = -2 Q 3
7.3kHz = +1 Q 4.5
8.2kHz = +1.5 Q 4
12.2kHz = -3 Q 3

Mar 2, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #1,668 of 2,741
Give my EQ a try. It is about as balanced as you can get.

Pre-Amp = -6

25Hz = +1.5 Q 2
Low Shelf 55Hz = +3 Q 1.4
Low Shelf 120Hz = +1 Q 1.4
450Hz = +1 Q 3.5
700Hz = -1 Q 3.5
1.1kHz = +1 Q 3.5
1.95kHz = +1 Q 3.5
3.6kHz = +2.5 Q 4
4.1kHz = +1 Q 3
5.6kHz = -2 Q 3
7.3kHz = +1 Q 4.5
8.2kHz = +1.5 Q 4
12.2kHz = -3 Q 3
Yeah, this one is pretty balanced with my setup. It sounds similar to what I have but I have my bass frequencies elevated as I listen most of the time at 68 dB.

1646206565256.png

Mar 3, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #1,669 of 2,741
I made an account on here just to comment on this EQ. But dear holy mother of ashes and dirt, this is a fun EQ that I can't stop using. I turn it off and can't stop myself from going back to it. Is it a bit over the top? Maybe? Is the bass overly forward? Maybe? Are the highs too sparklinglyly? My ears like the DT990s, so who the hell knows. Do I enjoy the **** out of it? Sure do!

Thanks for ruining every other headphone I have ever used.

Keep it up.
@Rakeris Thanks so much for your kind words, bro!

I'm glad this EQ gave you some happiness, as you know Sheryl Crow said it, "If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad." I had people like you in mind when I shared this profile, people who know how to have fun and aren't just in it for the "correctness" of it all.

Yes, some of the parameters are a bit extreme but it is a necessary part of my mixing/mastering to know what my limits are, you understand.

Also, I have to give Oratory1990 credit for his measurements and the HPs themselves are incredible to work with. My EQ is just accenting the awesomeness that is already there.

Blessings,
-J

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #1,670 of 2,741
Heard the LCD X today at Can Jam on two occasions the first on a nice amp but I can't remember what is was ( sry i heard so many things today) and was blown away at how well it performed. This HP has everything - great tonality, supreme bass, stage width, imaging, all of it. Then i went to the Audeze booth and played it off of my phone and confirmed everything i heard initially. The LCD X is an amazing HP, so so good. I need one! Heard the LCD 3 too and it was gd but it didn't wow me like the X. I got hit by a thunderbolt today and fell in love w this HP
I recently picked up an LCD-X. I never thought I’d spend that much on headphones, but I like it a lot. I also have a better appreciation for diminishing returns in headphones and the quality of sound you can get for under $500. I have the 6xx, 4xx, DT990 600, and 177X. All are excellent headphones, but when I listen to the LCD-X I can hear how the other headphones are lacking. The LCD-X is a keeper.

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #1,671 of 2,741
I recently picked up an LCD-X. I never thought I’d spend that much on headphones, but I like it a lot. I also have a better appreciation for diminishing returns in headphones and the quality of sound you can get for under $500. I have the 6xx, 4xx, DT990 600, and 177X. All are excellent headphones, but when I listen to the LCD-X I can hear how the other headphones are lacking. The LCD-X is a keeper.
This is exactly why I'm about to sell most of my collection and pick up an LCD-X. I spend way too much time looking at mid-tier headphones when I already know the sound signature I like. I'm stoked to get them as basically my only pair and call it good.

And maybe a pair of 1990's

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #1,672 of 2,741
This is exactly why I'm about to sell most of my collection and pick up an LCD-X. I spend way too much time looking at mid-tier headphones when I already know the sound signature I like. I'm stoked to get them as basically my only pair and call it good.

Good luck with that! I’ve found that there is always something out there with that bit more of incredible sound calling my name, a few months ago it was the X (and it’s very good, especially the combination of staging, detail retrieval, bass quality and EQ-ability), then it was the Cayin C9 portable amp, then…You get the drift. BTW - anyone care to throw out any IEMs you’ve heard that -remind- you of the X? It’s not really a fair comparison, especially at this level. Recently I tip-rolled my Final A4000s trying the Azla Sedna Earfit L size and suddenly the fit was perfect and the bass much more impactful, the detail retrieval and staging wonderful- they’re my new favorite daily IEM wear when I’m out and about.

Mar 5, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #1,673 of 2,741

I used to be a DT 1990 Pro owner. I ended up selling it after I got my LCD-X 2021. The Beyer is certainly a good headphone in its own right, but it is not even close to being in the same class in terms of sound quality. The LCD-X is a stunner of a headphone. The way this headphone images and renders instruments is extremely good for the 1200 US price point. Distortion is incredibly low as well, and is literally inaudible. I think you will be very impressed with the LCD-X. This headphone is all about detail retrieval. You will hear everything that is present within the music.

Mar 5, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #1,674 of 2,741
I ended up updating my EQ slightly as well that I had posted several pages back. I suggest people give this a try. The sound quality is just excellent. This is about as balanced as you can get.

Pre-Amp = -6

25Hz = +2 Q 2
Low Shelf 55Hz = +3 Q 1.2
Low Shelf 120Hz = +1.5 Q 1.2
450Hz = +1 Q 3.5
700Hz = -1 Q 3.5
1.1kHz = +1 Q 3.5
1.85kHz = +1 Q 3
3.6kHz = +3 Q 4
4.1kHz = +1.5 Q 4
5.6kHz = -3 Q 3
7.2kHz = +1 Q 5
8.3kHz = +1.5 Q 4
12.2kHz = -3 Q 3

Mar 6, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #1,675 of 2,741
I ended up updating my EQ slightly as well that I had posted several pages back. I suggest people give this a try. The sound quality is just excellent. This is about as balanced as you can get.

Pre-Amp = -6

25Hz = +2 Q 2
Low Shelf 55Hz = +3 Q 1.2
Low Shelf 120Hz = +1.5 Q 1.2
450Hz = +1 Q 3.5
700Hz = -1 Q 3.5
1.1kHz = +1 Q 3.5
1.85kHz = +1 Q 3
3.6kHz = +3 Q 4
4.1kHz = +1.5 Q 4
5.6kHz = -3 Q 3
7.2kHz = +1 Q 5
8.3kHz = +1.5 Q 4
12.2kHz = -3 Q 3
Nice settings, bro! It's hard to find a truly good MEDIUM. So much easier to find the extremes. Great job!
And you maintained the great soundstage of your original settings!

-J

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #1,676 of 2,741
Very interesting ⬆️ and I am happy with my 2016 LCD-X sans EQ 😀:
4F3A50CB-D577-4536-82F8-BBA93A091E8A.jpeg

Mar 13, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #1,679 of 2,741
Can someone explain the difference between the new and old LCD-X?

Mar 14, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #1,680 of 2,741
Hi everyone, seeking some guidance. I’m not based in a country that has an existing reseller of most of Audeze’s products (current one is only stocking the gaming stuff) but the previous reseller is dumping previous generation LCD-XC’s—pre-2021. I think they’d be 2019 or 2020 models (as far as I can tell they have 8 fazors instead of six).

I could possibly look to import the 2021 version of the XC, but I really prefer to just buy locally and avoid the hassle of international shipping and potential warranty issues and import taxes and all that. What I haven’t been able to figure out, in general is what the older sound signature was like, I keep reading that it was a little bit warm, and then the new one is not as warm, but I also keep reading about it being fairly bright, etc. I don’t have the ability, or really the intention of using EQ, and I’m not particularly fussed about sticking to the Harmon target, but I do like a headphone that’s mildly V-shaped and I have found that I like planars. One of the specific reasons I am considering XC is that I want a closed back Planar, otherwise I’d probably just get some sort of Hifiman product which is readily available. I’d be running it off an iFi amp so have the bass button available, though I am looking to upgrade at some point in the next 6 to 12 months if need be.

I’m also considering Denon 9200, but it is a bit more expensive here than the XC, and for the price the overall package is just a bit underwhelming. A completely different signature would be the Atticus, which I can import for about the same price as the XC, and would be an interesting option—just for something unique. I do have an HD 660 for when I listen to jazz, but the majority of what I would listen to would be some sort of hard rock or metal on the XC. Disturbed, Tool, Rammstein, Asking Alexandria, Bring Me the Horizon, symphony X, Gojira, Chevelle, Fire from the gods, etc. I don’t listen to doom or death and not really a lot of 80s stuff, I’m in my 30s, so I’m a product of the late 90s and early 2000s. I think I probably prefer clarity, and really like when I hear clear drums and present male vocals, versus something a bit laid-back. Don’t need amazing female vocals.

DCA stuff, Monoprice, etc planar stuff is all special import. More expensive planar closed backs like Kennerton and Hifiman are way too expensive. My max is probably up to around $1.5k new (not interested in used). Lot of Audio Technica where I am and I’m pretty ‘meh’ with most of it or doesn’t fit. Demoed Celestee for kicks and found it boring, have seen local language issues outlining issues with Radiance so will stay away. Leaves me with not a lot of options.

Apologies, this is a long post for a question, which really is in general what do the XC’s from a couple of years ago actually sound like taking into consideration my musical preferences? Thank you! (And apologies if this has been beaten to death. I see a lot of posts that say just EQ it, but I’m curious what it’s like without that.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back