LCD-X and XC Update
Feb 27, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #1,651 of 2,741
Anyone know typically how often Headphones.com has their LCD-X Open Box stock for $879?
My understanding from them was that this depended on when they got a returned item. After I got my LCD-X $879 open box, it was ‘sold out’. But you can email them to ask to be notified when they have one. Just FYI, it was in perfect working condition with all accessories but not the original packaging.

Feb 27, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #1,652 of 2,741
I've had my LCD-X '21 for a couple of months now and really enjoying them in the bass range. How can I get overall more soundstage and instrument separation throughout the frequencies?
the other question is: what are you using as a source (DAC/amp). While impedance is low and you can drive the X from a smart-phone it does better driven from a proper DAC/Amp setup. My favorite among my own is streaming Roon via a Sonore MicroRendu to an iFi micro iDSD Signature, and using the Roon DSP software. You can EQ your socks off that way- there are some excellent EQ profiles earlier in this thread that can be applied, or Audeze’s pre-set one- though my rec is just to add a 2.5db bass shelf and a 2db boost at 4khz (Q=2.5) to start with. Roon has crossfeed in the DSP as well which can open up the stage further. I find using these tools X gets pretty 3D holographic, though the stage is not very wide R/L - more like a helmet of sound around your head, if you imagine that.

Having said all that there are excellent, much more accessible sources, ie the Quedelix 5k which allows you to set EQ via an app on your iPhone or Android, or the RME ADI-2 DAC/amp that includes on board EQ. The new Cayin Ru-6 is also a dongle that opens up the stage and might work for you, if you don’t care too much about MQA (which it doesn’t support). It also doesn’t include EQ but there are also free iPhone or Android EQ apps like Boom that may work well for you.

Feb 27, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #1,653 of 2,741
How does your Arya compare to your LCD-X (and elex)?
Well, I'll be selling the Elex since it's performing below the LCD-X. The Arya, I feel the vocals are recessed and the bass is transparent compared the LCD-X. It has a wider soundstage but I kind of like the on-stage presentation of the LCD-X, I just wish it was just a little wider during higher volumes.

Feb 27, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #1,654 of 2,741
the other question is: what are you using as a source (DAC/amp). While impedance is low and you can drive the X from a smart-phone it does better driven from a proper DAC/Amp setup. My favorite among my own is streaming Roon via a Sonore MicroRendu to an iFi micro iDSD Signature, and using the Roon DSP software. You can EQ your socks off that way- there are some excellent EQ profiles earlier in this thread that can be applied, or Audeze’s pre-set one- though my rec is just to add a 2.5db bass shelf and a 2db boost at 4khz (Q=2.5) to start with. Roon has crossfeed in the DSP as well which can open up the stage further. I find using these tools X gets pretty 3D holographic, though the stage is not very wide R/L - more like a helmet of sound around your head, if you imagine that.

Having said all that there are excellent, much more accessible sources, ie the Quedelix 5k which allows you to set EQ via an app on your iPhone or Android, or the RME ADI-2 DAC/amp that includes on board EQ. The new Cayin Ru-6 is also a dongle that opens up the stage and might work for you, if you don’t care too much about MQA (which it doesn’t support). It also doesn’t include EQ but there are also free iPhone or Android EQ apps like Boom that may work well for you.
Here is my component chain: Laptop => Iris => Pontus II => P26 => Lokius => FA-12 => LCD-X '21

As you were explaining Roon DSP it reminded me of the effects section in Peace. Perhaps I should play around with those to see if it will enhance the sound. I've played around with the crossfeed in Peace and really like it for Bossa Nova and Jazz, it makes it more of an enjoyable listen with headphones. I'm going to experiment for a 3D sound with Peace DSP and see how it goes. Thanks!

Feb 27, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #1,655 of 2,741
Here is my component chain: Laptop => Iris => Pontus II => P26 => Lokius => FA-12 => LCD-X '21

As you were explaining Roon DSP it reminded me of the effects section in Peace. Perhaps I should play around with those to see if it will enhance the sound. I've played around with the crossfeed in Peace and really like it for Bossa Nova and Jazz, it makes it more of an enjoyable listen with headphones. I'm going to experiment for a 3D sound with Peace DSP and see how it goes. Thanks!
I personally like the Stereo Expander in PEACE set at 12:00, for fun. The effects are an under celebrated part of PEACE.

Feb 27, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #1,656 of 2,741
I've found that some EQs increase the sense of soundstage so you might want to go down that rabbit hole and experiment with your own EQs or those of others.

If you want to get drastic you can take out the faux felt pad in the ear cups. It just takes a screwdriver and a bit of courage. I found that the soundstage increased but at the expense of image separation, but it definitely "aired out" the sound.

If you experiment with EQ do check out mine on page 108!

Good luck!
Oh yes, I have my EQ set up quite well for my equipment. Somehow, I feel the LCD-X has reached its limits on its own. In regards to the felt pad, are you referring to the exterior side of the earcups?

Feb 27, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #1,657 of 2,741
Oh yes, I have my EQ set up quite well for my equipment. Somehow, I feel the LCD-X has reached its limits on its own. In regards to the felt pad, are you referring to the exterior side of the earcups?
No, there are felt pads inside the ear cups. You have to remove the outer grill and inner grill to get to them which is easy enough with a screwdriver.

(edit) - I think I misunderstood you, yes I'm talking about taking out the faux felt pads via the exterior side of the HPs. I hope that's clearer.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #1,658 of 2,741
Oh and physically modding the LCD-X is I'm sure against manufacturer's recommendation so be ware of that. I found it fun just to see how I could change the sound, and ultimately after a couple hours of A/B ing I decided that it sounded best in its original configuration. Just one man's opinion though.

Blessings,
-J

Feb 27, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #1,659 of 2,741
Heard the LCD X today at Can Jam on two occasions the first on a nice amp but I can't remember what is was ( sry i heard so many things today) and was blown away at how well it performed. This HP has everything - great tonality, supreme bass, stage width, imaging, all of it. Then i went to the Audeze booth and played it off of my phone and confirmed everything i heard initially. The LCD X is an amazing HP, so so good. I need one! Heard the LCD 3 too and it was gd but it didn't wow me like the X. I got hit by a thunderbolt today and fell in love w this HP

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #1,660 of 2,741
Heard the LCD X today at Can Jam on two occasions the first on a nice amp but I can't remember what is was ( sry i heard so many things today) and was blown away at how well it performed. This HP has everything - great tonality, supreme bass, stage width, imaging, all of it. Then i went to the Audeze booth and played it off of my phone and confirmed everything i heard initially. The LCD X is an amazing HP, so so good. I need one! Heard the LCD 3 too and it was gd but it didn't wow me like the X. I got hit by a thunderbolt today and fell in love w this HP
Great to hear. I recently saw a $700 LCD-X on r/AVExchange and had to hold myself back from buying it, since it's about $500 above my budget.

Feb 27, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #1,661 of 2,741
I have owned a LCD-X since 2016 - it has the ‘old-style’ headband (no ‘cantilever’). Fantastic detail, dynamics, imaging. Matches wonderfully with h/p/a ranging from Gilmore Lite II to Linear Tube Audio MZ3!

Feb 28, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #1,662 of 2,741
Welcome to the club!!!

Mar 1, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #1,663 of 2,741
DSC03186.jpg
DSC03179.jpg
DSC03167.jpg
DSC03181.jpg
DSC03190.jpg
DSC03191.jpg

Mar 2, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #1,664 of 2,741
I'm a little embarrassed to share this profile because it may not be mixing/mastering normal or your typical audiophile's profile but I think you'll find it hella fun! I mean if I'm going to own these gigantic planar magnetic headphones I may as well test its limits!

So for those of you like rumbling sub bass that doesn't encroach upon the mids too much and crystal clear highs that don't sacrifice the LCD-X's natural, stellar imaging and separation...unlocking and unleashing the fun sides of the LCD-X 2021 here's an EQ that leaves nothing to the imagination!

Posted EQ Graph Update.jpg

As you can see from the overlay-ed, inverted chart of Oratory1990's FR (yes PEACE can do that!) I have stuck with his mids calculations even more religiously than he did. My curve (green) deviates most from his (red) in the bass and the highs, adding a couple shots of bass slam and sparkling highs that makes vocalists more realistic and up close and personal.

Pre Amp: -14.75 (Be sure to enter this value to avoid clipping)

Band 1: Freq 29 Gain 3 Q 0.69 Filter Low Shelf
Band 2: Freq 34 Gain 1.01 Q 3.3 Filter Low Shelf
Band 3: Freq 70 Gain 5.25 Q 1.5 Filter Peak
Band 4: Freq 90 Gain 10.5 Q 0.7 Filter Low Shelf
Band 5: Freq 130 Gain 0.5 Q 0.6 Filter Peak
Band 6: Freq 540 Gain 0.4 Q 2.5 Filter Peak
Band 7: Freq 810 Gain -1.8 Q 2.5 Filter Peak
Band 8: Freq 1235 Gain -1 Q 2.4 Filter High Shelf
Band 9: Freq 1500 Gain 7.9 Q 0.71 Filter High Shelf
Band 10: Freq 1910 Gain 1.3 Q 5 Filter Peak
Band 11: Freq 2730 Gain -3.3 Q 2.2 Filter Peak
Band 12: Freq 3700 Gain 3.6 Q 1.4 Filter Peak
Band 13: Freq 5775 Gain -5.25 Q 4.3 Filter Peak
Band 14: Freq 6800 Gain 0.7 Q 5 Filter Peak
Band 15: Freq 7350 Gain -2.7 Q 5.7 Filter Peak
Band 16: Freq 12500 Gain 1.5 Q 1.7 Filter High Shelf
Band 17: Freq 13500 Gain 0.9 Q 0.7 Filter High Shelf

To increase or decrease sub-bass, adjust gain to Band 4 to taste.
To increase or decrease treble/air, adjust gain to Band 17 to taste.
If the tracks you're playing have a bit too much "bass body" change Band 4's Frequency from 90 to 70-80 and you'll get more of a "planar typical" bass sound that extends just as deep.

If you're looking for a good song to test it out try this track:
Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk:

It's YouTube so you'll want to add ~2 dB to your volume knob.

10 Band Version:

Pre Amp:
-14.75 (Be sure to enter this value to avoid clipping)

Band 1: Freq 29 Gain 2.95 Q 0.69 Filter Low Shelf
Band 2: Freq 34 Gain 1.17 Q 3.3 Filter Low Shelf
Band 3: Freq 70 Gain 6 Q 1.5 Filter Peak
Band 4: Freq 90 Gain 10.5 Q 0.6 Filter Low Shelf
Band 5: Freq 1500 Gain 6.8 Q 0.8 Filter High Shelf
Band 6: Freq 2680 Gain -3.7 Q 2.2 Filter Peak
Band 7: Freq 3700 Gain 3.1 Q 1.4 Filter Peak
Band 8: Freq 5830 Gain -8.45 Q 3.5 Filter Peak
Band 9: Freq 6900 Gain -2.1 Q 3.3 Filter High Shelf
Band 10: Freq 7775 Gain 5.1 Q .9 Filter High Shelf

To increase or decrease sub-bass, adjust gain to Band 4 to taste.
To increase or decrease treble/air, adjust gain to Band 10 to taste.
If the tracks you're playing have a bit too much "bass body" change Band 4's Frequency from 90 to 70-80 and you'll get more of a "planar typical" bass sound that extends just as deep.

Here is an original track that I restored and mastered with these headphones from an analog cassette recording I wrote/recorded as a teen. These cans are an indispensable tool in my studio work/play:

Jonne Haven - Swing

It's been said already, but I must add that I've been working on EQing the LCD-X 2021 everyday for almost 2 months now and I find that it responds to EQ settings superbly and with the greatest of resolution. Even the smallest of changes are reported, with minute detail and without distortion, the best of any headphone I have EQ'd.

Enjoy!
-J

I made an account on here just to comment on this EQ. But dear holy mother of ashes and dirt, this is a fun EQ that I can't stop using. I turn it off and can't stop myself from going back to it. Is it a bit over the top? Maybe? Is the bass overly forward? Maybe? Are the highs too sparklinglyly? My ears like the DT990s, so who the hell knows. Do I enjoy the **** out of it? Sure do!

Thanks for ruining every other headphone I have ever used.

Keep it up.

Mar 2, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #1,665 of 2,741
I made an account on here just to comment on this EQ. But dear holy mother of ashes and dirt, this is a fun EQ that I can't stop using. I turn it off and can't stop myself from going back to it. Is it a bit over the top? Maybe? Is the bass overly forward? Maybe? Are the highs too sparklinglyly? My ears like the DT990s, so who the hell knows. Do I enjoy the **** out of it? Sure do!

Thanks for ruining every other headphone I have ever used.

Keep it up.
What amps are you guys using for this EQ settings? I've tried it, the high frequencies were way too much for my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back