LCD-X and XC Update
Feb 12, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #1,621 of 2,741
I'm a little embarrassed to share this profile because it may not be mixing/mastering normal or your typical audiophile's profile but I think you'll find it hella fun! I mean if I'm going to own these gigantic planar magnetic headphones I may as well test its limits!

So for those of you like rumbling sub bass that doesn't encroach upon the mids too much and crystal clear highs that don't sacrifice the LCD-X's natural, stellar imaging and separation...unlocking and unleashing the fun sides of the LCD-X 2021 here's an EQ that leaves nothing to the imagination!

Posted EQ Graph.jpg

As you can see from the overlay-ed, inverted chart of Oratory1990's FR (yes PEACE can do that!) I have stuck with his mids calculations even more religiously than he did. My curve (green) deviates most from his (red) in the sub-bass and the highs, adding a couple shots of bass slam and sparkling highs that makes vocalists more realistic and up close and personal.

Pre Amp: -14.75 (Be sure to enter this value to avoid clipping)

Band 1: Freq 21 Gain 2.7 Q 0.69 Filter Low Shelf
Band 2: Freq 30.5 Gain 1.8 Q 2 Filter Low Shelf
Band 3: Freq 60 Gain 5.25 Q 1 Filter Peak
Band 4: Freq 80 Gain 10 Q 0.7 Filter Low Shelf
Band 5: Freq 240 Gain -0.7 Q 2 Filter Peak
Band 6: Freq 540 Gain 0.7 Q 1.4 Filter Peak
Band 7: Freq 800 Gain -1.7 Q 2.5 Filter Peak
Band 8: Freq 1245 Gain -0.8 Q 2.6 Filter High Shelf
Band 9: Freq 1500 Gain 7.85 Q 0.71 Filter High Shelf
Band 10: Freq 1915 Gain 1.2 Q 5 Filter Peak
Band 11: Freq 2700 Gain -3.4 Q 2.2 Filter Peak
Band 12: Freq 3700 Gain 3.8 Q 1.4 Filter Peak
Band 13: Freq 5775 Gain -5 Q 4.3 Filter Peak
Band 14: Freq 6820 Gain 2 Q 5 Filter Peak
Band 15: Freq 7200 Gain -3.8 Q 4 Filter Peak
Band 16: Freq 8250 Gain -2.3 Q 8 Filter Peak
Band 17: Freq 9000 Gain 1.8 Q 1 Filter High Shelf

To increase or decrease sub-bass, adjust gain to Band 4 to taste.
To increase or decrease highs sparkle/air, adjust gain to Band 17 to taste.
If the tracks you're playing have a bit too much "bass body" change Band 4's Frequency from 80 to 65-70 and you'll get more of a "planar typical" bass sound that extends just as deep.

If you're looking for a good song to test it out try this track:
Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk:

It's YouTube so you'll want to add ~2 dB to your volume knob.

10 Band Version:

Pre Amp:
-14.75 (Be sure to enter this value to avoid clipping)

Band 1: Freq 21 Gain 2.7 Q 0.69 Filter Low Shelf
Band 2: Freq 30.5 Gain 1.8 Q 2 Filter Low Shelf
Band 3: Freq 60 Gain 5.25 Q 1 Filter Peak
Band 4: Freq 80 Gain 10 Q 0.7 Filter Low Shelf
Band 5: Freq 1500 Gain 6.3 Q 0.8 Filter High Shelf
Band 6: Freq 2700 Gain -3.6 Q 2.2 Filter Peak
Band 7: Freq 3700 Gain 4.6 Q 1.4 Filter Peak
Band 8: Freq 5750 Gain -3.7 Q 5 Filter Peak
Band 9: Freq 7200 Gain -1.7 Q 1.41 Filter Peak
Band 10: Freq 8700 Gain 2.6 Q 1.1 Filter High Shelf

To increase or decrease sub-bass, adjust gain to Band 4 to taste.
To increase or decrease highs sparkle/air, adjust gain to Band 10 to taste.
If the tracks you're playing have a bit too much "bass body" change Band 4's Frequency from 80 to 65-70 and you'll get more of a "planar typical" bass sound that extends just as deep.

Here is an original track that I restored and mastered with these headphones from an analog cassette recording I wrote/recorded as a teen. These cans are an indispensable tool in my studio work/play:

Jonne Haven - Swing

It's been said already, but I must add that I've been working on EQing the LCD-X 2021 everyday for almost 2 months now and I find that it responds to EQ settings superbly and with the greatest of resolution. Even the smallest of changes are reported, with minute detail and without distortion, the best of any headphone I have EQ'd.

Enjoy!
-J

Do you have a 7-band version of this? I have an RME ADI-2 so I dont really use Peace or other EQ software.

Feb 12, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #1,624 of 2,741
I just installed dekoni elite sheepskin pads on my XC 2021 and wow what an upgrade for the soundstage. Everything is more 3d and there's more depth front and back. I was hoping these would add some bass to the sound but so far only change i hear is a little more sub bass but still no added slam/punch.

Feb 12, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #1,625 of 2,741
No rush! Thank you very much.
@TheFrator Here is a further simplified version of my profile as you requested a 7 band version. I had to really gut it to get it down to 7 bands which was a bit excruciating. HAHA.
Have fun with it!

I'm a little embarrassed to share this profile because it may not be mixing/mastering normal or your typical audiophile's profile but I think you'll find it hella fun! I mean if I'm going to own these gigantic planar magnetic headphones I may as well test its limits!

So for those of you like rumbling sub bass that doesn't encroach upon the mids too much and crystal clear highs that don't sacrifice the LCD-X's natural, stellar imaging and separation...unlocking and unleashing the fun sides of the LCD-X 2021 here's an EQ that leaves nothing to the imagination!

7 Band Version:

Pre Amp:

Band 1: Freq 37.5 Gain 3 Q 1.7 Filter Low Shelf
Band 2: Freq 70 Gain 6.6 Q 1.3 Filter Peak
Band 3: Freq 90 Gain 10 Q 0.65 Filter Low Shelf
Band 4: Freq 3950 Gain 9.2 Q 0.75 Filter Peak
Band 5: Freq 5800 Gain -8.6 Q 3 Filter Peak
Band 6: Freq 6975 Gain -1.7 Q 3.3 Filter High Shelf
Band 7: Freq 7775 Gain 10.4 Q 0.75 Filter High Shelf

To increase or decrease sub-bass, adjust gain to Band 3 to taste.
To increase or decrease treble/air, adjust gain to Band 7 to taste.
If the tracks you're playing have a bit too much "bass body" change Band 3's Frequency from 90 to 70-80 and you'll get more of a "planar typical" bass sound that extends just as deep.

Here is an original track that I restored and mastered with these headphones from an analog cassette recording I wrote/recorded as a teen. These cans are an indispensable tool in my studio work/play:

Jonne Haven - Swing

It's been said already, but I must add that I've been working on EQing the LCD-X 2021 everyday for almost 2 months now and I find that it responds to EQ settings superbly and with the greatest of resolution. Even the smallest of changes are reported, with minute detail and without distortion, the best of any headphone I have EQ'd.

Enjoy!
-J

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #1,626 of 2,741
@TheFrator Here is a further simplified version of my profile as you requested a 7 band version. I had to really gut it to get it down to 7 bands which was a bit excruciating. HAHA.
Have fun with it!

7 Band Version:

Pre Amp:

Band 1: Freq 30.5 Gain 3.6 Q 1.3 Filter Low Shelf
Band 2: Freq 60 Gain 6 Q 1.1 Filter Peak
Band 3: Freq 80 Gain 9.7 Q 0.7 Filter Low Shelf
Band 4: Freq 3950 Gain 9 Q 0.7 Filter Peak
Band 5: Freq 5800 Gain -8.4 Q 3.6 Filter Peak
Band 6: Freq 6900 Gain -1.9 Q 3.3 Filter High Shelf
Band 7: Freq 7775 Gain 10 Q 0.8 Filter High Shelf

To increase or decrease highs sparkle/air, adjust gain to Band 7 to taste.
If the tracks you're playing have a bit too much "bass body" change Band 3's Frequency from 80 to 65-70 and you'll get more of a "planar typical" bass sound that extends just as deep.

Jonne Haven - Swing

Enjoy!
-J

Thank you so much !

Feb 13, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #1,627 of 2,741
Have fun with it!

7 Band Version:

Pre Amp:

Band 1: Freq 30.5 Gain 3.6 Q 1.3 Filter Low Shelf
Band 2: Freq 60 Gain 6 Q 1.1 Filter Peak
Band 3: Freq 80 Gain 9.7 Q 0.7 Filter Low Shelf
Band 4: Freq 3950 Gain 9 Q 0.7 Filter Peak
Band 5: Freq 5800 Gain -8.4 Q 3.6 Filter Peak
Band 6: Freq 6900 Gain -1.9 Q 3.3 Filter High Shelf
Band 7: Freq 7775 Gain 10 Q 0.8 Filter High Shelf

To increase or decrease highs sparkle/air, adjust gain to Band 7 to taste.
If the tracks you're playing have a bit too much "bass body" change Band 3's Frequency from 80 to 65-70 and you'll get more of a "planar typical" bass sound that extends just as deep.

Jonne Haven - Swing

Enjoy!
-J

Hip-Hop approved lol

Feb 13, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #1,629 of 2,741
To make my LCD-X look as good as it sounds,
I asked Laurent at understatedmontreal.com to make a strap, about 5mm shorter than the original.

Laurent has a nice way of communicating.
I have already received the tracking number and a few photos 🤗

8667D7B4-1435-4A6F-A94D-BD0223E760FD.jpeg

B781A0BE-2AA0-4F7A-A046-BD8D1551BDDF.jpeg

51C0FA9E-1BC0-4DA2-A693-2EA289949BF4.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #1,630 of 2,741
Did anyone compared LCD XC with ZMF Atticus?

I own both. Very different headphones. Both are excellent headphones, but they will not scratch the same itch. The XC has a good deal more speed and clarity, giving it a advantage in resolution and detail. The Atticus is much more analog sounding. The bass on the Atticus has bigger impact, more presence, and longer decay, but less extension into sub-bass. Overall, the tone is lusher and fuller, but more blurred together, especially in the mid range. The Atticus is a bit peakier in the treble, the XC has better presence past 10k. Both have pretty average soundstage. The XC has more precise and layered imaging, but the Atticus still does well with left/right positioning.

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #1,631 of 2,741
I own both. Very different headphones. Both are excellent headphones, but they will not scratch the same itch. The XC has a good deal more speed and clarity, giving it a advantage in resolution and detail. The Atticus is much more analog sounding. The bass on the Atticus has bigger impact, more presence, and longer decay, but less extension into sub-bass. Overall, the tone is lusher and fuller, but more blurred together, especially in the mid range. The Atticus is a bit peakier in the treble, the XC has better presence past 10k. Both have pretty average soundstage. The XC has more precise and layered imaging, but the Atticus still does well with left/right positioning.
Thank you for very nice explanation.

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #1,632 of 2,741
Audeze LCD-X curiosity questions: does anyone else prefer (a) the ‘old-style’ headband? and (b) not using EQ?
143BBEDE-EE67-46C7-BC0A-77F2363DF0C4.jpeg

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #1,633 of 2,741
Audeze LCD-X curiosity questions: does anyone else prefer (a) the ‘old-style’ headband? and (b) not using EQ?143BBEDE-EE67-46C7-BC0A-77F2363DF0C4.jpeg

I like the old-style headband better than the new one. I never thought the older style uncomfortable and, unlike the new one, there is no potential for it to slowly wear out and become less comfortable. Also, the new one is prone to getting folded or bent, stretched, torn, caught on stuff. It requires somewhat finicky storage in order to keep it in the best shape (i.e., not hanging it on a stand from the leather strap, but also not laying it down on the leather strap). Overall, the older one was just less drama.

I prefer not using EQ, but only because I don't have the EQ skills to dial in the sound exactly as I want it. I've changed my opinion a bit recently though, after I bought the LCD-5 and discovered that EQing them using the EQ profiles of someone like Resolve can really add a lot to the headphones. That said, it general I like to have headphones that stand out from the several others that I own, even if that means they aren't quite the best they can be. The LCD-X is a little dark for my taste considered all by itself, but I love that it gives me a unique and engaging take on the music. If all I wanted was Harman neutral, or really any one particular sound signature, I'd just buy one headphone and be done.

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #1,634 of 2,741
I like the old-style headband better than the new one. I never thought the older style uncomfortable and, unlike the new one, there is no potential for it to slowly wear out and become less comfortable. Also, the new one is prone to getting folded or bent, stretched, torn, caught on stuff. It requires somewhat finicky storage in order to keep it in the best shape (i.e., not hanging it on a stand from the leather strap, but also not laying it down on the leather strap). Overall, the older one was just less drama.

I prefer not using EQ, but only because I don't have the EQ skills to dial in the sound exactly as I want it. I've changed my opinion a bit recently though, after I bought the LCD-5 and discovered that EQing them using the EQ profiles of someone like Resolve can really add a lot to the headphones. That said, it general I like to have headphones that stand out from the several others that I own, even if that means they aren't quite the best they can be. The LCD-X is a little dark for my taste considered all by itself, but I love that it gives me a unique and engaging take on the music. If all I wanted was Harman neutral, or really any one particular sound signature, I'd just buy one headphone and be done.
My simple thoughts on headphones without EQ: different headphones ===> different seats / tables at stadium, hall, club. Besides I can’t EQ or bring acoustic tiling / tube traps to a concert 🤷🏻‍♂️

Feb 14, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #1,635 of 2,741

bro from what I heard the LCD 5 are such a monster!!!! gj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back